• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lack of guests so far this season?

Tom said:
Why can't people just not be allowed to come through the turnstiles until 10am?

I think part of it was due to the concert level crush that used to happen up against the gates till they opened.

Lack of guests so far this season?

GaryH said:
Dave said:
TheMan said:
Dave said:
Certainly the loss of the premium experience has an impact, i think it was Squiggs who said a few days ago to me that Alton Towers in the 90's was an expensive day out but it offered a luxary product. The issue now is they don't offer the luxary product but still charge luxary prices.

Disagree with this absolutely entirely.

Alton was a great value day out in the 90s by all accounts, it didn't feel expensive in the slightest. The place felt like good value as you moved around, the polar opposite to now.

The attractions there, were still some of the UKs best (some, arguably better, leave that though eh? ;) ). The park itself, ironically felt more complete.

I disagree back :)

I have been going to Towers since around 1988 when I was a kid, and coming from a family that had limited cash to hand Alton Towers was seen as expensive. It wasn't poor value for money as you got a luxury product in return but it wasn't cheap. The fact my parents saved the money to go shows they valued the product but it didn't make it cheap..... And we always took a packed lunch as the cost of food on park was even back then seen as extortionate.

I can see both sides to this - I think, for me, who has been going since 1993, the difference is that the money "grabbing" is now more in your face than it was back in 88 or 93. The car parking charge was the ultimate smack in the face when people have just paid a fortune to get in! Plus, back then, there was 1 price increase each year, now, we are seeing 2 price increases during the year.

Thats the point though isn't it, those things are a loss of the luxury product and a reduction in the value for money.

My argument was that if people think Alton Towers was cheap in the early 90's they are wrong, it was an expensive day out back then, but over time the prices have remained high but the quality of the park and the experiences you get have reduced in quality.

However on the flip side food in the 90's was horrific at Alton Towers, over priced disgusting mush. Excluding Burger Kitchen food quality is better now than it was back then (though still damn expensive).

However ents and X-sector have shown improvements this year (ents very much so) and there seems to be less upselling.

However back then people still only did one trip a year mostly.

Why is it when I click on my notifications in the top right corner showing "thanks" it says this topic is called "Turnips and Potatoes"????!!!! lol

GaryH said:
Why is it when I click on my notifications in the top right corner showing "thanks" it says this topic is called "Turnips and Potatoes"????!!!! lol

Because you can rename individual post titles which was done on a post that then you included a quote from so your post got re titled too.

The hotels were shockingly dead at night. I avoided the kids entertainment the first night (as there's nothing more that irritates me than children running and screaming when their parents leave them to it) but went down the second night and there were pretty much no children around, just a handful.

Both the Alton Towers Hotel and the Conference Centre entertainment were dead spots at night. A part of me liked it as we could have a few nice drinks, take in the atmosphere and talk. On the other hand it felt wrong, as in, this is the Easter holidays and it's dead here. This should be filled, booming with families and full of life.

Theme park wise it picked up yesterday, however on the whole it was very quiet.

I would put it down to the weather mainly. I don't believe this whole they don't visit because the new ride isn't open. That may stand for teenagers and young adults, but not families. As my mum quite rightly mentioned too, Alton Towers has got a wide selection of rides, people will still visit if they want a fun day (of stay) at Alton Towers.

The weather for the first half of the year has been awful. Many people will have been affected by the snow. Most people will wait until the weather picks up and they can travel with ease. Mix that in with the fact prices are high and people have been more careful with their money the past few years... it doesn't result in high attendance figures.

I'd give it time though. By the end of the season we will really know what factors have affected attendance figures.

Just worth noting that for the last few days from what I've heard Europa Park has been utterly dead - the biggest queue I've seen anyone talk about has been 15 minutes but all I'm seeing is images of a dead park. In holiday time.

Yeah, Towers are blates lacking in guests because of poor maintenance/investment ::)

After my weekend at Europa Park, I would like to retract all previous comments.

Its All About The Weather!!!

Ian

I'm not sure if this is possible to answer, but how many guests does the park need to break even for the day? :)

aru said:
I'm not sure if this is possible to answer, but how many guests does the park need to break even for the day? :)

I think it's around 2500, but I could be wrong.

AshleeKel said:
aru said:

I think it's around 2500, but I could be wrong.
I would say it's around that figure, which works out around £128 000 a day to open towers up for a day :)

Josh but if your figure is correct why do companies like John Lewis pay way more than that?

Probably because Alton Towers can easily rip off companies such as John Lewis and make more of a profit.

Yea, £128,000 was given as the break even figure. Not sure what sort of margins theme parks work to but would expect a massive mark up on that (20%+?)

Natalie said:
Josh but if your figure is correct why do companies like John Lewis pay way more than that?

Because private hire includes food and drink costs, buffet dinner and in most cases, hotel accommodation.

Novas said:
Yea, £128,000 was given as the break even figure. Not sure what sort of margins theme parks work to but would expect a massive mark up on that (20%+?)

By definition (talking about ticket entry only) Once the park reaches £128,000 for to day on the gate everything over that is profit (minus the 20% vat) - Assuming that this is indeed the figure for break even too.