• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lack of passion?

I have mixed feeling about merlins potential. Theming on Smiler was so poor yet just look at chessingtons investments for this year the theming on both the carousel and the gruffalo is a big step up. If they implemented this care thought and theming on attractions at all parks it would make such a difference.

Good debate there from two of my favourite posters Didn't expect to see Rideas get name dropped. I wonder what The Ancient Mariner is up to these days...
He went like one that hath been stunned,
And is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man,
He rose the morrow morn.

I have mixed feeling about merlins potential. Theming on Smiler was so poor yet just look at chessingtons investments for this year the theming on both the carousel and the gruffalo is a big step up. If they implemented this care thought and theming on attractions at all parks it would make such a difference.
Interesting that's literally the difference between when and where money is spent, not really to do with peoples skill. There are loads of brilliant designers out there, with great ideas, but the money isn't being spent on design anymore. That's why we have painted bins on The Smiler, far more budget for its lengthy promo campaign than the ride itself, corners cut in its pre-construction coming back to bite it later and all that.

Gruffalo is very sparse for a dark ride, yet presented well with what they had, so shows they used a stingy scenic budget to play to the ride's strengths. Still, it's a franchise ride and doesn't really have the guts that a great family dark ride can have with a bit more creative freedom.

Last edited:
Just picking up on Bill's point about the early 2000's, there were actually a few good things to come out of that era. I'm not so sure Charterhouse were all that bad to begin with.

For example - Ugg Land, Hex, Air, and Splash Landings. I guess some of these things will have been in development for quite a few years but Splash Landings in particular I was extremely fond of. The old Splash Landings was totally inkeeping with the level of quality of the AT Hotel, unlike The Lodges and this CBeebies crap. I booked a stay there only a month after it opened in August 2003, there were things not even finished (typically delayed) but that was ok because the place was awesome. I still have the welcome pack and invoices, all printed on full colour Splash Landings themed A4 paper - unlike the cold, plain white corporate headed paper you get from them now.

At check-in, you were given a boat load of perks, now none of which are available to any hotel guests. The rooms were filled with little surprises and there were always at least 2 goodie bags on the bed.

Most of the staff were british-african carribean (not sure they'd get away with that now lol). Ma Garita, the Paradise Plummers, and other entertainers were always roaming the hotel and waterpark (then called Cariba Creek). The waterpark was open late, exclusive to hotel guests only so it was free with your stay, and people would generally roam the entire hotel in swimwear like you would if you were on holiday. You could imagine this being quite awkward now, but back then it was a very relaxed environment. Towels were freely handed out everywhere.

This was a time when you could walk under the fountain outside. It was a popular photo point. The restuarant was pretty good with a vast choice of food on offer, and lastly, it was also a time when you could actually get served at the bar (haha).

Being 20 years old when I booked that first stay at Splash Landings I certainly wasn't looking at it with rose tinted glasses. Absolutely can't stand the place now.

Another couple of big things for me in the early 2000's would include Halloween and Fireworks. We have Towers (and Thorpe to some degree) to thank for the vast amount of scare attractions and halloween entertainment now available around the country, since they were pretty much the first place to introduce american style "haunts" in 2002 - that's Terror of The Towers more specifically. Oh yeah that's another thing, guess what was also free to all theme park guests? Yep, the scare mazes.

In 2001, Towers broke world records with their firework shows. It wasn't the first time. The shows I'd seen from the mid 90's to early 2000's were what inspired me to become a Pyrotechnician and AV Technician.

Speaking of shows, the Summer Spectaculars on the lake which I can only recall running from 1998 to 2001 were pretty amazing also.

Yes, we can say Duel 2003 was a WTF moment, Spinball Whizzer 2004 could have been better planned, and Rita 2005 was puked in to Ug Land, but if we're just looking at the very early 2000s then I'd say the year of 2003 was the absolute end of anything truly great.

They should bring back the Mississippi Show Boat. Live jazz band entertainment and flat ride all in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The waterpark was open late, exclusive to hotel guests only so it was free with your stay, and people would generally roam the entire hotel in swimwear like you would if you were on holiday.

Ha! I remember doing this back then, walking through the hotel in just a pair of swimshorts and a towel. Have to admit though I felt a bit of a twonk! But I get where you are coming from!

Surely 'magic' gets mentioned so much with Alton Towers is because that's how they marketed themselves for a very long time. Alton Towers was "Where the Magic Never Ends", they created 'the magic', staff ensured guests had a 'magical day', and guests created 'magical memories'.

That was the whole ethos of Alton Towers throughout the 90s and early 2000s. It's not some made up term by an enthusiast that vaguely remember riding Toyland Tours as a 10 year old. 'The Magic' is a very big part of Alton Towers history and when people refer to 'the magic' they are referring to the years that Towers was arguably at its best. Anyone who went to Towers during these years or has watched a Towers documentary knows that 'the magic' was far more than a slogan or marketing spiel.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Anyone who went to Towers during these years or has watched a Towers documentary knows that 'the magic' was far more than a slogan or marketing spiel.
The park certainly had a good ethos and spent the money in the places necessary to drive success through good ideas and good quality, rather than purely to answer shareholders and expand their empire.

But whether 'the magic' was this ethos I think is a bit rosey. It was probably used as a slogan internally and to guests the way that "The Merlin Way" or countless more Merlinisms do now. In reality they were about driving success regardless of the spiel, but for a period they did it very well and employed the best learning & resources to achieve their aims with great unique outcomes like Nemesis, Toyland, Hex and the hotels.

It was a good brand for its time but wasn't the whole story I think. Am I right in thinking it was the first Varney-penned brand sloganeering? It came in when he redesigned Alton Towers' brand in 1992ish

It was a good brand for its time but wasn't the whole story I think. Am I right in thinking it was the first Varney-penned brand sloganeering? It came in when he redesigned Alton Towers' brand in 1992ish

Think it came more from Tussauds tbh, as late 80's and early 90's was when they were literally trying to emulate Disney. I seriously doubt the park's marketing and manegement teams had all that much influence back then. The parks weren't treated as indepenedent businesses whch had to manage themselves.

In other news. Another piece of magic gone....

Just heard they have renamed the Splash Landings restuarant to Flambo's Jambo. I mean what utter mumbo jumbo is this? And why? Not even remotely necessary. Sinage looks hideous as expected.

So this follows more of Merlin's generic dumbing down with bland names, especially at that hotel. I mean "Waterpark" is just the pinnacle of passionate creativity isn't it?

Wasn't it always called Flambo's something or other since opening? Tweaked name sounds fine to me, hasn't had any character taken away from it, unlike the Cariba Creek name change.

I certainly agree with you that the whole hotel has been deliberately dumbed down and sucked of its character in recent years, but I feel that criticising a pretty likeable name change is a bit arbitrary?

It's been called Flambo's Exotic Feast on and off, but colloquially know as Flambo's, I think?

Yeah everyone calls it Flambos, naturally.

Was just highlighting the completely unnecessary change of "Exotic Feast" to "Jambo" after 14 years.

Tbh, I didn't like the changes made to the restuarant a couple of years ago anyway, so no longer eat there to care much.

Well it's certainly random! but not exactly a problem, like you say worse things have happened to the hotel, I am baffled by whoever decided it needed all those amateaur paintjobs and an incredibly tacky restyling of what was a lovely hotel theme.

A lot of great work went into the hotel's original design and it served no purpose spending money to make something worse.

Those kind of detrimental fiddly changes always seem to be the result of the management team of the day wanting to look like theyre doing something major to "improve the product", without actually considering that it was great as it was, or if they have a proper budget to make alterations. So all guests end up with is cheap repaints and weirdness.

Last edited:
Change for the sake of change springs to mind regarding the name... Did the hotel need to spend money in order to get a similar budget next year?

"The Magic".... That phrase typified Alton Towers to me, but which has sadly long departed. This topic has had many discussions about the "The Magic", so here is why my passion has disappeared and why I yearn for its return.

I first visited Alton Towers as a 14 year old in 1986. That first visit was truly magical and even though I had been fascinated by rides and amusement parks previously, it was Alton Towers that ignited that enthusiasm.

There were shows and entertainment everywhere and I remember walking in through the gates, to hear and see a jazz band playing. Looking down Towers Street there were loads of costume characters everywhere. Shops adorned both sides of the street and it was a fun happy place to be and a perfect entrance.

Around the park, and I will be the first to admit it, were fairground rides which could be found on the continent, but not really the UK. The 1001 Nights sweeping majestically over the tree tops, the Polyps (one in Aqualand, the other in Festival park), Turbo Star and the original locations for Enterprise and Wave Swinger in Festival Park. But at least there were lots of them and for their time current. Look at the park now with the lack of supporting and aging attractions, it was never like that back then. However, in amongst these were others which were more unique; Doom and Sons, Around the World in 80 days, Space 1999 (Gerry Anderson exhibition), Alpine Bob Sled and the Model Railroad in the Towers. Even the main gift shop housed in the Towers, now the Hex queue line was different and unique. The Mississippi fun boat and the Miniature Railroad were down at the bottom of the park along with the iconic Swan boats.

And then of course, the Gardens. Many hours were spent exploring them and they were wonderfully maintained and landscaped. The Towers themselves were fully accessible and you could explore all the various nooks and crannies in the old building.

That was just the start of my love affair with Alton and many more visits were made, but lets now fast forward to 1992 when Tussauds had taken over. The expansion of the park with Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood, was a stroke of genius. All that dead space in the rapids had now been reused and these paths created to give new exciting vistas. As for the Haunted House, it really was a great dark ride for the time and was truly magical.

It was the attention to detail for me which made the park back then and which gave it "The Magic". Lets look at the Haunted House at this point. It was designed in such a clever way that even though its a massive metal building, you don't see any of it. It could have had a boring cattle pen queue line, but they went the extra mile and provided a winding queue through a graveyard. Into the house itself and you saw all these special effects everywhere in the internal queue line which gave it the magical touch. Then of course the ride itself, but even on exiting and walking round to the toilets you saw a themed telephone booth. No reason why it was themed the way it was, other than to fit in.

1992 was the real start of the magic for me but it exploded in 1994 when Nemesis was unleashed to the World. Just like Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood, Forbidden Valley was designed magnificently and allowed guests to interact with Nemesis and explore around it. Never before in the UK had I been able to walk underneath a roller coaster while it was in operation. The station, the alien creature itself, was a fully themed building and not one part of it was un-themed. The queue line weaved around the area giving great vistas. The queue meandered up past the station and to where the stall turn is and even had a themed camp up there. Even the "Nemesis Kitchen" underneath the ride was perfect and the Mushroom tours bus had smoke belching out of it.

On the official opening day of the ride (and subsequent visits that year), the blood was rushing down the waterfalls, the ride soundtrack was pumping through the speakers and the area had numerous staff dressed in post apocalyptic attire interacting with park guests. I remember one particular time, this bizarrely dressed man approached us carrying a black plastic bag. He stopped and stared at us for a while when walked over to a rubbish bin, fished around in it and pulled out some discarded food. He went to eat it, looked over at us and then as if spooked by us looking, put it in his bag and wandered off. That to me typified "The Magic" of Alton Towers.

Also that year was the Land of make believe, including the one and only Toyland Tours opened. By this time in my life I was 23, so I was not looking through rose tinted child's glasses, but this was wonderful. The whole area was, even producing themed benches. (They may still be there. Look at some of the benches in Cloud Cuckoo Land and see if they have a logo in the metal. That was the old Land of Make Believe logo !) At this time there were also still the parades, shows and costume characters walking around.

In the following years Storybook land was built including the wonderful bookworm along with a great kids area in the form of Old McDonalds Farm. During the construction of Oblivion, the same attention to detail was in evidence with staff employed to stand around the perimeter guarding the new installation. The Black Hole received a great re-theme and all was well with the World at Alton Towers.

There then followed a downward spiral, which we all know about, so I wont go on about it here, but lets fast forward to today and what do we see? Well if I am perfectly honest I cannot tell you as of 2017. The reason why? Well for me the magic has gone and I don't visit anymore. My last visit to the park was June 2015 (pre Smiler crash) and seeing the park as it was then to how it was in the golden era of the 1990s is heart-breaking.

The entertainment and shows were nearly non existent, the budget was gone. Rides were closed or removed and the numbers of supporting attractions left were much lower. The Monorail, where once it was a great entry into the park was a glorified advertisement, along with the Cable cars too. Towers Street was more akin to a market place with traders peddling their wares and trying to extract every last penny out of you.

The gardens were a shadow of their former selves with water features either not working or removed and whole sections which looked overgrown and unmaintained. Even the towers themselves were locked down.

However for me, the standard of attractions and design of them had really gone down hill. When Merlin came in and took over the park, I had real hopes for it, but they were quickly dashed. To spend the money that they did on Battle Galleons was crazy. A ride which barely gets a queue on even the busiest days. Yes its themed well, but not popular.

They had the perfect chance in 2010 to solve the problems in what was to become Dark Forest, but rather than rip down the buildings and redesign the whole area from scratch, they just shoe horned Thirteen in and then repainted the existing buildings cheaply. The outcome of that was a mess of wooden fences for the queue lines for of Rita and Thirteen. Its such a mess and could have easily been sorted out, IF they had gone the extra mile. That coupled with being able to see the shed that the drop mechanism is in and other sections covered by sheeting is a cheap way to complete the building. One wonders that if Thirteen had been built in the glory years that the station building would have been fully themed. It probably would have.

The Smiler... Well what can I say about that. The outside cattle pen winding queue line is depressing and oppressive and the obsession with Worlds Firsts is frustrating. Did having 14 loops actually contribute anything to the ride? Not really for me. In my last visits pre the crash, the area (for a brand new ride) was looking shoddy, the projectors weren't working, the marmliser had effects which weren't working, it just felt like they couldn't be bothered to maintain effects.

This wasn't just on the Smiler, but everywhere. Theming and rides were being left to rot with no apparent planned cleaning or maintenance of effects in place.

In the dark times of the 2010's myself and my wife used to seek out the magic in two areas which still had it. Storybook Land and Old MacDonald's Farm, seeking out the bookworm and listening to his stories, to visiting Old MacDonald himself still climbing the ladder while all his animals sang his song and even the hens singing "The sun has got his hat on" outside. Yes these areas were looking tired, but the magic was still there.

So for me, the magic wasn't all about exciting new coasters, it was all about going the extra mile. Adding theming for the sake of theming and keeping it maintained as well. The quality of the rides and attractions was not as important as that for me. The amount of entertainment throughout the place and the subtle way of selling you things rather than the in your face method used now was more important.

I haven't even touched upon the hotels in this post, but the hotels as they are now, is a poor imitation to what they were. PeteB's post sums this up wonderfully. When I go to other theme park resorts and see the magic in their hotels I do wonder what has happened at Alton Towers.

"The Magic" still exists for me, unfortunately not at Alton Towers, but at other Theme Parks around the World. Places such as Efteling still have it and add the little touches, just because they want too. Even the most corporate of parks that you can imagine, Disneyland California has the magic for me. When I walk into these parks, I can see where my money is going in quality of attractions, entertainment and how well kept they are. To see a talking trashcan at Disney is the magic, themed bins at Efteling asking me to put "papier hier" is wonderful, for my wife to be stopped by a member of staff and saying that there was a phone call for her and when she put the phone to her ear it was Mickey wishing her a Happy Anniversary was just pure magical. When I enter Alton Towers that magic simply isn't there.

This is the biggest shame for me. I desperately want Alton Towers to have this level of investment into the infrastructure and entertainment, but alas under Merlin, who only seem to be interested in returning a dividend for their shareholders, this will never happen.

Thank you for reading this, I didn't realise it would be so long, but I love Alton Towers with all my heart and hate to see the park that is has become.

Good post @PeteA. I don't agree with it all but I respect the views and the eloquent way in which you expressed them.

In terms of the Flambo's name change, I can't get on board with the name change being "another piece of magic gone" - if the name of a restaurant really has any impact on your experience of eating there, then perhaps I am on a very different page to some of you guys (hence our frequent disagreements!). I honestly couldn't care less what it's called.

If I thought about it, I think I prefer the new name - it sounds slightly more fun and family oriented than an Exotic Feast, which to be fair - is pushing it in terms of what the product actually is. Unless of course, a kid chucking pizza at their sibling whilst a baby cries and a staff member heat checks the left over slop is your idea of exotic :)

Last edited:
I liked Splash Landings before the dumbing down, but has that restaurant ever not been tacky? I first visited it in 2010, during that time it was nicely lit but has always been pretty naff overall.

I enjoyed it for its oddball ambiance, water features and funky 'exotic' (ish) look. It was a fun contrast to Secret Garden. Didn't enjoy it so much the overpriced food and booming music up above.

Had it been gutted out and turned into a boring plastic family restaurant like most eateries at UK Merlin parks, that would be a real shame, but this slight name change ? I'm all for keeping the hotel good quality and preventing all the random fiddling about, but I wouldn't have noticed the name change if it hadn't been pointed out, I don't think it's any difference.

I loved Splash Landings before the dumbing down, but has that restaurant ever not been tacky? I first visited it in 2010, during that time it was nicely lit but has always been pretty naff overall.

I enjoyed it for its oddball ambiance, water features and funky 'exotic' (ish) look. It was a fun contrast to Secret Garden. Didn't enjoy it so much the overpriced food and booming music up above.

Had it been gutted out and turned into a boring plastic family restaurant like most eateries at UK Merlin parks, that would be a real shame, but this slight name change ? I'm all for keeping the hotel good quality and preventing all the random fiddling about, but I wouldn't have noticed the name change if it hadn't been pointed out, I don't think it's any difference.

Yeah you missed out when it was a lot better unfortunately, 2003 - 2006. The pricing was very reasonable too I thought.

Pretty much 2007 onwards it turned in to a dive.