• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

That would've probably been the best move for Thorpe Park, make it a mini Universal and really go all out on the IPs to get the family market back through the gate.

Seems unlikely now considering what they're building I guess.

That would've probably been the best move for Thorpe Park, make it a mini Universal and really go all out on the IPs to get the family market back through the gate.

Seems unlikely now considering what they're building I guess.

Thing is though Thorpe Park really doesn’t need to get the family market back through the gate when Merlin have got Legoland Windsor just nine miles away in one direction and CWOA sixteen miles in the other direction.

Thing is though Thorpe Park really doesn’t need to get the family market back through the gate when Merlin have got Legoland Windsor just nine miles away in one direction and CWOA sixteen miles in the other direction.
The purchase of Thorpe Park, by Tussauds in the 90s, was specifically so that COWA wouldn't have to compete with it. COWA would be the family park, Thorpe park would become the thrill park. COWA also has a tougher time with planning permissions, similar to Alton, whereas Thorpe has a much easier time, so the latter can build bigger and more exciting things.

Of course Thorpe was always meant to be targeting a different demographic under Tussauds/ Merlin, but look at the absolute mess it's resulted in the park becoming as a result of this decision.

I suppose what I was trying to get at was that it would've been better for everyone had someone like Universal come in originally and created something that competed with the Tussauds / Merlin monopoly rather than just becoming what it has; a glorified Six Flags park.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but I've a feeling that a Disney/Universal style resort in a massive overpopulated and touristic city like London would be quite successful. Thorpe and Chessington gets quite crowdy and they are medium-sized parks and not that famous at all (like nobody knows Thorpe here in Spain if I ask around but everybody knows Disneyland Paris)

A resort in London based on IPs and promoted as one of the main touristic attractions in the city is some serious bussiness I think.
The problem with the plan that they were trying to go ahead with was that is was neither in London or in a part of the country particularly easily accessible. That’s why Thorpe and Legoland work, they are to the west of London so still easy to get to by car from the rest of England as well as London.

From blooloop:

Abdulla Al-Humaidi, a key backer of the troubled London Resort, a proposed theme park in Kent, UK, was declared bankrupt at a recent High Court hearing. The Kuwaiti businessman resigned from the London Resort board last year but previously served as director of London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH).

Located on the Swanscombe Peninsula in Kent, east of London, the ambitious £2.5 million theme park project has encountered numerous obstacles over the past ten years and not much progress has been made, despite having strong government support and being designated as a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP).

In March 2022, LRCH withdrew its planning application for the theme park after the Swanscombe Peninsula was confirmed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) by Natural England, saying it planned to resubmit an application in the future, a goal that it reiterated after PY Gerbeau stepped down from his role as CEO of the London Resort in December 2022.

In March 2023, LRCH appointed administratorsafter incurring £100 million in debts.

Latest troubles for London Resort​

According to the Telegraph, creditors are chasing Al-Humaidi for millions of pounds. He first made an investment in the project in 2013, after the rescue of the local non-league football team Ebbsfleet United, and his brother Dherar Al-Humaidi joined the board four years later.

It was also recently announced that US media and entertainment giant Paramount Global, an early partner in the project, is now suing The London Resort in the High Court. The court case revolves around the restructuring implemented in April 2023 by LRCH, giving creditors equity in exchange for money owed.

Paramount is arguing that this is unfair due to “irregularities”. The entertainment firm, “is alleging debts that affected the vote were inflated and assigned to a third party in a ‘sham’ transaction and is demanding to see the documents that underpin those dealings.”

Last year the Save Swanscombe Peninsula campaign team alongside RSPB, CPRE Kent, Kent Wildlife Trust and Buglife revealed an “alternative vision” for the site.

From blooloop:

Abdulla Al-Humaidi, a key backer of the troubled London Resort, a proposed theme park in Kent, UK, was declared bankrupt at a recent High Court hearing. The Kuwaiti businessman resigned from the London Resort board last year but previously served as director of London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH).

Located on the Swanscombe Peninsula in Kent, east of London, the ambitious £2.5 million theme park project has encountered numerous obstacles over the past ten years and not much progress has been made, despite having strong government support and being designated as a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP).

In March 2022, LRCH withdrew its planning application for the theme park after the Swanscombe Peninsula was confirmed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) by Natural England, saying it planned to resubmit an application in the future, a goal that it reiterated after PY Gerbeau stepped down from his role as CEO of the London Resort in December 2022.

In March 2023, LRCH appointed administratorsafter incurring £100 million in debts.

Latest troubles for London Resort​

According to the Telegraph, creditors are chasing Al-Humaidi for millions of pounds. He first made an investment in the project in 2013, after the rescue of the local non-league football team Ebbsfleet United, and his brother Dherar Al-Humaidi joined the board four years later.

It was also recently announced that US media and entertainment giant Paramount Global, an early partner in the project, is now suing The London Resort in the High Court. The court case revolves around the restructuring implemented in April 2023 by LRCH, giving creditors equity in exchange for money owed.

Paramount is arguing that this is unfair due to “irregularities”. The entertainment firm, “is alleging debts that affected the vote were inflated and assigned to a third party in a ‘sham’ transaction and is demanding to see the documents that underpin those dealings.”

Last year the Save Swanscombe Peninsula campaign team alongside RSPB, CPRE Kent, Kent Wildlife Trust and Buglife revealed an “alternative vision” for the site.
At last the mask is ripped off. Surely there can be no more speculation now? Even if my brain did melt attempting to read the first sentence of that!

While Universal gathers a nice head of steam, one of the last senior people left on the London Resort project - former London mayoral candidate Steve Norris - has quit and admits nothing will happen “for a while”:

While Universal gathers a nice head of steam, one of the last senior people left on the London Resort project - former London mayoral candidate Steve Norris - has quit and admits nothing will happen “for a while”:

I refer you to my comment from January.