• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London's Disused Tube Stations

AstroDan said:
Vik said:
Did a tour of the closed Aldwych Tube station yesterday (Sat 30/11).

Access included the street level ticket office area, deep level platforms, one of which closed in 1917, the other closing along with the station in 1994, and also access to walkways which were never opened to the public and only recently were opened up for guided tours.

Some of the photo's taken during the tour (and a couple not taken during the tour :eek: ), can be seen clicking the linky below :)

Aldwych Station Tour 30/11/13

Great photo's, Vik - really enjoyed looking through them. Looks like you had a very interesting time!

:)

Totally agree, there is something so evocative about those stations. Amazing visiting the older platform! The lift shaft too looks incredible, I don't even know why.

LiamC said:
I was unsure whether to post this in here or the other underground topic -

After being shut for a decade, there are now plans to reopen the London Post Office Railway - known to many as Mail Rail - as a tourist ride.

I must confess before I saw this article I didn't even know this thing existed. It's pretty cool, I'd love for it to reopen as a mini attraction/museum.

Darn you I was just about to post this link ;D

The idea of opening it up as a ride is awesome!! 40 mph down those little tunnels in what would be like miniature train with a little plastic see through roof? It will feel more like a coaster than a tube!

Bring it on, a cracking idea and would surely prove a very popular attraction and incredibly unique!

So...Just to revive an old topic, Mail Rail is due to open on September 4th. I did see Down Street got mentioned on the previous page, and I'm delighted to be going there in November for a tour. Quite conveniently, the tour I'm booked on with a few others from here is the day after my birthday, so that'll be a nice weekend, I think! :)

A friend did loads of research into unused tube stations as part of a game he was making for college - Supposedly the MOD control a lot of them and store stuff there like old weapons - there is also supposedly a station under Buckingham palace which has a train ready to go if the queen needs to get out of london in an emergency. It is meant to join the west coast main line and get her up to Scotland

The Buckingham Palace station thing sounds like a load of rubbish I'm afraid. If one needed to get one's royal buttocks out of the capital in a hurry, boarding a tube train (powered from additional electrified rails, and engineered for acceleration rather than sustained speed) and taking it to the incredibly heavily used West Coast Main Line (which also uses overhead cabling to power its electric trains) would be a poor way to go about it.

The Buckingham Palace station thing sounds like a load of rubbish I'm afraid. If one needed to get one's royal buttocks out of the capital in a hurry, boarding a tube train (powered from additional electrified rails, and engineered for acceleration rather than sustained speed) and taking it to the incredibly heavily used West Coast Main Line (which also uses overhead cabling to power its electric trains) would be a poor way to go about it.

It's more likely one uses their helicopter one jumped from with 007.

It sounds like they have wasted billions on cross rail, if the Queen already has a full width train tunnel that links to the WCML, so effectively linking Victoria to Euston...

Something like a foot tunnel to Clarence House is plausible, but a secret rail tunnel is pure fantasy.