• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

I tweeted them about a month ago concerning Hex and Charlie. They told me they'd update the blog with more detailed Towers Loving Care info 'soon'. They still haven't. I'm going on Wednesday and while I'm not stupid enough to think these rides would be open, I really want more info. With those of us who have a technical interest in the rides, it would be nice to know exactly what they're doing.

Like I imagine the Charlie IP has run out and they're probably putting together a deal to re theme that ride. But what about Hex? Is it just basic refurb, spruce up of the effects, check mechanical systems? Or are we looking at a removal of the ride?

Would love more info.

I tweeted them about a month ago concerning Hex and Charlie. They told me they'd update the blog with more detailed Towers Loving Care info 'soon'. They still haven't. I'm going on Wednesday and while I'm not stupid enough to think these rides would be open, I really want more info. With those of us who have a technical interest in the rides, it would be nice to know exactly what they're doing.

Like I imagine the Charlie IP has run out and they're probably putting together a deal to re theme that ride. But what about Hex? Is it just basic refurb, spruce up of the effects, check mechanical systems? Or are we looking at a removal of the ride?

Would love more info.
yeah, i went on Saturday (2nd July) and the day felt a bit incomplete without Hex, Charlie and the Flume :(.

Last edited:

Would love more info.
Hex is not getting removed. Work has been going on inside hex, so I'm not sure why there is a lack of updates on Social media!

No one here knows for sure what's going on, but there's lots of speculation. I think you're right about charlie's ip running out being the main cause of the closure, and it is very likely to be rethemed/removed in the next few years.

The general speculation on hex is that it was having issues parking last year, and many effects had broken over the years. It also utilises parts of the towers themselves, which will need renovations even so often. We assume that hex will reopen either late this season or for the start of next season, and that it has been closed to fix the parking issues and refurbish the ride and building. Don't worry, I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

No one here knows for sure what's going on, but there's lots of speculation. I think you're right about charlie's ip running out being the main cause of the closure, and it is very likely to be rethemed/removed in the next few years.

The general speculation on hex is that it was having issues parking last year, and many effects had broken over the years. It also utilises parts of the towers themselves, which will need renovations even so often. We assume that hex will reopen either late this season or for the start of next season, and that it has been closed to fix the parking issues and refurbish the ride and building. Don't worry, I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.
i think they'll most probably wait until next season before they re-open Hex, as there would be no point them opening it soon then it closing not long after, when the Theme Park section closes until next season. plus, it gives them more time to work on Hex if they wait until next season to re-open it..

Would love more info.
I get this, but I don't think Alton owe enthusiasts, or anyone for that matter any further information than what is already out there. They'll provide it when they're ready. The fact that we're enthusiasts doesn't create a situation whereby we should know more. If only because it would highlight the fact that the ride line-up is severely depleted.

Also, if they said that they were making progress with some of those rides, I suspect that would be a bit of a half truth, with others it sounds as if they have done some work.

Putting a new projector in Hex could be classed as a refurb at the moment. Rick is right though, they don't owe enthusiast anything really. If the refurb is not substantial to warrant it's seasoned closure then there will be uproar on all the forums no doubt, but they don't have to explain themselves to us, ever.

This season has been very much doom-and-gloom and although my visit this year was the worst ever, I really hope they take this year to get everything sorted and I hope to see everything back open to their former glory and all rides running on open day next year.

It would be so nice to see the place booming again and SW8 starting to be constructed next year, that way the forums can be more focussed on the excitement of the future as oppose to the 'anus horribles' that is this year.

Too much information gets you nowhere...

nMuPcYn.jpg

I see no problem with it. Good on them for being honest and open with their customers.

Just wish the Facebook team had got the memo that they'd dropped the Jubilee from the name.

With what's happened at Alton and now M&D's I think that might be a little too much info. Sure, tell people it's closed for maintenance, but that's a bit much. That'll read to many that the breaks don't work and the restraints may fly open during the ride. o_O

TBH, they can't really win. Us geeks want to know the details out of curiosity, but the GP won't understand that catching a problem before it hurts anyone is actually a good thing and means the techies are doing their job.

TBH, they can't really win. Us geeks want to know the details out of curiosity, but the GP won't understand that catching a problem before it hurts anyone is actually a good thing and means the techies are doing their job.
I guess that's my point though, Alton don't need to tell us anything to satisfy our 'curiosity' - they've got a business to run.

I think when/if these rides reopen, if they highlight what they have done I think that's fair enough but up until that point I'm ok with them keeping quiet.

I'm not happy that Sub Terra is still saying its having maintenance..... When deep down I think we all know the answer.

Lies lies lies

Has anybody actually seen anything happening with Sub Terra this year?

Apart from the sign being removed, it doesn't seem like there's much TLC being aimed in that direction..