• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Making of Air - Interview with John Wardley

It's a very good video and one that John has a lot to say on rather than the 'John Wardley is the creator behind everything' trend that we often see in fan videos. Nicely produced and suits the ride

I don't rate Air but that was quite interesting and well put together.

And the Air tunnel got a mention...

An interesting video & well put together. I worked at Alton Towers when Air was being built so there was not any real new information in the video for me, but an enjoyable watch all the same.

And I agree 100% with John Wardley - had all the planned theming on Air materialised if would have been a much better ride experience.

I don’t really get the ‘stayed within budget’ thing. If the only way you stay within budget is to cut virtually all the landscaping and themeing that was intended to be built when the budget was set, you’ve stayed within budget in name only. That’s not a real measure of being within budget.

If I had a budget for an extension and then only built half of it for the money, I’ve not really stayed within budget.

If I had a budget for an extension and then only built half of it for the money, I’ve not really stayed within budget

As long as you have four walls, windows and a roof and the building is watertight it is still complete. This is what happened with Air, the ride works, is safe and provides a flying experience. But in your extension example they ran out of money for “pot plants and paint”.

I do like that John Wardley also finds the upside down part sickening, for me it isn’t needed and the ride would be improved with just the barrel roll. The part with the truest sense of flying is the last few corners and bunny hops round the back near the car park.

I also found the description of Nemesis and Oblivion being villains and Air being a hero, helping you do something you’ve never been able to do (fly) rather than forcing you into a scary situation. If only the park had the desire to go after a hero again instead of so so many villains. Although I’m not quite sure I can think of the perfect ride & theme combination without also relying on fear too much.