• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

MAP Hotel Discount Rip-Off?

Novas

TS Member
Afternoon guys,

So I ordered a MAP today and thought I'd check out the prices for a hotel stay next month, when I read the small print...

Alton Towers Resort Hotel discount is available on Standard Bed and Breakfast rooms only and is not valid for packages, in event periods or for themed rooms. The discount excludes Christmas and New Year and is against the full rate (not web rate). Discount applies for Annual Pass Holders only and cannot be used to book multiple rooms. This discount cannot be transferred to an existing booking or used in conjunction with any other promotional offer. Subject to availability.

So, if I'm reading that right I get an amazing 20% off... on the bog standard rooms only, at the phone price which is 10% higher than the web price.... I'm sorry but surely that's a 10% discount?! How the bloody hell do they get away with this stuff?

I swear I live in an almost constant state of Merlin rage. :S

Just to make you feel better, if you stop at the hotels, you can book a return visit with 25% off, and that includes the themed rooms :)

Ian

I've always missed the point of MAP. I get 40% off AT stays through work, including themed rooms and events, so I've never checked it out fully so I'm probably missing other 'great things' about it somewhere. It's just the more I hear about it the more pointless it seems (that said, I don't visit the park very often at all, I guess it's way better value for money for people who go more than once or twice a year).

DiogoJ42 said:
I thought you had to phone up anyway to get the discount?

Yes, you have to phone up to get to discount, but the standard phone price is 10% higher than the web price.

In my mind it's basically a con. They could easily have the facility to either book with a MAP code online, or they could get with the times and not offer a higher room rate over the phone comprared to the internet. They charge 10p a minute to call them anyway which I'm sure more than covers any additional overheads they incur by having to man a phone line.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Ian, might book a really cheap stay for the Smiler and do something a bit more special towards the end of the season.

Novas said:
So, if I'm reading that right I get an amazing 20% off... on the bog standard rooms only, at the phone price which is 10% higher than the web price.... I'm sorry but surely that's a 10% discount?! How the bloody hell do they get away with this stuff?

I swear I live in an almost constant state of Merlin rage. :S

I must admit I do this with a cheeky grin to you Novas ;D

Novas said:
Good. Kill off ERT and be done with it. Some of the whinging is coming across as being very elitest.

But that wouldn't be you moaning about some of the MAP perks not being up to scratch would it?

I can't believe you would come across that elitist as to expect actual perks to be upheld or of benefit over the GP?

Oh dude, sorry man, but you really walked STRAIGHT into that one. ;D

*CLANG*

DpaELqpwYE-6.png

To be honest my elitest comment was taken completely out of context. It was meant to be more of a dig at pedantic people seemed to be complaining that they had to wait 4 minutes instead of 3 due to the GP being on park early, once it spiraled into a full on debate about the dictionary definition of the word I bailed on the topic and cba to go back. :p

The ERT as a 'perk' is being deemed a failure because everyone has access to ERT. The MAP discount as a perk is a completely different issue. My gripe here is not about them offering an exclusive pass holder perk that is then used by everyone, it's that season after season the park deploys petty and misleading marketing campaigns.

Novas said:
To be honest my elitest comment was taken completely out of context. It was meant to be more of a dig at pedantic people seemed to be complaining that they had to wait 4 minutes instead of 3 due to the GP being on park early, once it spiraled into a full on debate about the dictionary definition of the word I bailed on the topic and cba to go back. :p

The ERT as a 'perk' is being deemed a failure because everyone has access to ERT. The MAP discount as a perk is a completely different issue. My gripe here is not about them offering an exclusive pass holder perk that is then used by everyone, it's that season after season the park deploys petty and misleading marketing campaigns.

Well the other thread has now moved on to "Eton" quite how that happened I don't know. I don't think you can differentiate though, because the marketing can be misleading and is in both cases. They should maintain what they say.

When a friend was buying a MAP in guest services not long ago at an "advertised" on screen price, it became clear, they were ludicrously discounted and it was no where near the price they ended up paying. That leaves people feeling put out, and feeling they have gotten WORSE value not better. It is stupidity because right from the get go you are left feeling as if you have been had.

Then you find ERT is not great, and other "perks" are not as perky as they sounded at all.

Merlin do not do honest marketing where the MAP is concerned, and the benefits/cost dwindles further every year, something I got a ton of crap for even suggesting last year.

ERT should remain ERT, and hotel/discounts etc, should be appropriate and these marketing campaigns I agree are getting silly.

Silly things to like £2 now per digital download on top of normal ORP prices that are extortionate. I noticed they now also charge £6 parking for disabled visitors which they never did, the price rises VS value has decreased dramatically.

So overall you have a point, but I was not for the world going to let that one slip by without giving you a ribbing for it mate ;D