• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin and HB leisure

delta79

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis, Air
BBC one has a new program called Your Money their tricks.

Tonight program has a section on HB leisure at Thorpe Park, and the trick they use to make game more difficult to win. Like using surf board wax to give more fiction. or using a weighted ball to make the game look easier.

I watched and it was quite interesting but it's nothing we didn't already know really... People generally know that these games *are* difficult to win and it seems to be fairly common thought that they can be adjusted to be made harder.

Equally, it's also fairly common knowledge that prizes are much easier to win in the morning as they advertise the games all day long!

It was a fairly interesting feature however.

Merlin and HB leisure

I found it interesting, however, I thought it was a given that any sideshows, be it at a fair or a theme park, have the odds stacked against you from the beginnings in the sense that they're always designed to be as difficult as possible.

However, that doesn't mean that making it virtually impossible to win, is a good thing for HB to do. You should, in a fair world, have the same and equal chance to win as the person before and after you. Anything other than this is unfair on the paying guests.

Not really an ideal piece for both Merlin and Thorpe Park, but specifically HB. I think it's a good thing it's been shown however it shouldn't be as shoddy as it is in the first place.

Money, eh?

I did, however, think HB Leisure's response in the article about it was very comprehensive and it wouldn't surprise me if the beeb have twisted some things for the sake of good telly (which I guess is their job) :)

Is it really surprising that they make the game harder if loads of people are winning? The games aren't impossible to win, they make it clear, it's just difficult which is what you expect in the first place.

I thought the tricks were all common knowledge!

It's just like arcade machines. They are designed to get as much money as possible while being set to not be impossible, just a pure game of luck (and knowing how to work your way around it).

Tricks like these have been around as long as I can remember, certainly nothing new or shocking. Just tricks of the trade.

Everyone knows those games are rigged. Anyone dumb enough to hand over their cash deserves to get fleeced.

I think there's a difference between games being more difficult than they appear and games being made to look easier than they actually are during demonstrations or "trial runs".

I have no real issues with the former, as at least that's consistent, but when people are potentially making a decision to play based on false information that it becomes a major problem - surely such practices are (or at least should be classed as) fraudulent?

John said:
I think there's a difference between games being more difficult than they appear and games being made to look easier than they actually are during demonstrations or "trial runs".

I have no real issues with the former, as at least that's consistent, but when people are potentially making a decision to play based on false information that it becomes a major problem - surely such practices are (or at least should be classed as) fraudulent?

Completely agree. I know the games are dodgy, I expect targets to be sticky and rifle barrels to be bent, but things like demonstrating a game with one set of balls and asking the punter to use a different set which increases the difficulty is fraud.

Does anybody know what has happened to the passholder 2 for 1 deals that they have had on games? On all of the no prize games (Battle Beam, Water Walkers) the offer has suddenly disappeared?

Oh hello topic! As a former HB Leisure employee feel free to ask me anything! Hell, if needs be I'll even scan in the old "Games Operator" handbook if I can find it hiding in my room! ;)

OK then :)

Did you ever feel guilty, knowing you were cheating people? Did you ever question the operation of the games when you were told "right, so this is how you make sure they can't win"? ;)

Not sure on the legalities of sharing such a document, but Id be interested to see it!

I dont think Ive ever attempted to play any of the HB games, I do wish the staff didnt shout at guests though - if I ever had a fleeting second of interest in winning a giant stuffed toy that Id have no idea what to do with - it would certainly be put off by the fun-fair-esque screaching from the staff.

Class HB. You have none!

Machin said:
Oh hello topic! As a former HB Leisure employee feel free to ask me anything! Hell, if needs be I'll even scan in the old "Games Operator" handbook if I can find it hiding in my room! ;)
I'd like to see!

DiogoJ42 said:
OK then :)

Did you ever feel guilty, knowing you were cheating people? Did you ever question the operation of the games when you were told "right, so this is how you make sure they can't win"? ;)
In a word, nope! Cheating people is a bit of a harsh term to use though haha, it's mainly about making the game look easy when it actually isn't. You have to remember the Crew spend all day playing those games and therefore can successfully demonstrate it 95% of the time.

In fact, here's a link to a post I wrote on TTF with tips on how to win.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-towers-general/key-to-winning-hb-lesiure-games/msg455570/#msg455570

After the program I have noticed a few changes to all games not only at Thorpe but also Chessington, Legoland and Alton Towers (after I have visited all the parks this past week).

Every game now has a little sign (I say little, its very little compared to all the other signs!):
WP_000701_zps4ee646c8.jpg

That's from Challenge the Smiler at Alton Towers, it seems Alton are the only park which have had their signs themed! All the other parks just have generic HB Blue signs.

Promotional offers haha. Barter with the operator, they will always say yes if it gets a £1 coin in the drop.

djtruefitt said:
That's from Challenge the Smiler at Alton Towers, it seems Alton are the only park which have had their signs themed! All the other parks just have generic HB Blue signs.

It's cheap as chips to pick a font and put it on a black background...

Machin said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
It's cheap as chips to pick a font and put it on a black background...
It's even cheaper if HBL pay for it.

By themed I mean all the signs at Alton match their stalls and the areas they are in, eg yellow/black on that smiler sign. But at the other Merlin parks they just have generic HB signs.