• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass 'Sale'

January Sale! Amazing renewal offer! A fantastipremium £30 MORE to renew than the year just gone! What a magical touch to Christmas!

Terms and conditions change every time there is a sale. This is simply a price rise, I don't understand the controversy really.

I stopped buying passes a couple of years ago, that being my own cut off point in terms of perceived value. Everyone has there own perception of value and you need to decide whether this is one step too far or not. One again, you really shouldn't be surprised. The pressures of public ownership are intense, but simple - continuous growth (IE squeezing, cutting and increased charging).

I am wondering if they have reached the price for demand limit. If what is said on here is true across the customer base then take up of Passes will fall, revenue from them will fall below the year before and they will have to drop the price to get customers back to passes.

Reactions: Tom
Good. Merlin need to be hit hard in the only place they will notice: their bank account.

Just to add to the pain... no more free parking at Legoland by the looks of it...

Free parking is available at THORPE PARK Resort, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Alton Towers Resort and Warwick Castle.

Last edited:
I doubt I’ll be able to drum up much sympathy for Merlin, but I do think you can feel sorry for the staff. According to Ride Rater, Premium Pass Holders will have to pay to park at Legoland. Imagine being the staff who have to enforce that one. Particularly given that they could well be a 16 year old, and will almost certainly be on the minimum wage.

I suspect a lot of cars will get to the barrier and wave their premium pass, and then what? They’ll probably be told not to just let them through. And if they do just let them through, and the car behind has a premium pass, they’ll get angry that they bought a ticket and saw other passholders getting through without one. But if you tell them to turn around and buy a ticket, it’s going to create a standoff that stops all the other cars. I suspect that one way or another the person on the parking barrier’s going to be in for some real hard abuse. Abuse from passholders being told they now need a ticket to get out. Abuse from managers wanting to know why they let someone through without a ticket, or why they keep having holds ups. And if someone does make a complaint, managers won't want to admit it's because it was hugely unpopular charging Premium Pass Holders to park, so instead some 16 year old will get the blame for not being empathetic enough, or not explaining the policy clearly enough. I wouldn’t want to be on that parking barrier. Not if you paid me double what a parking attendant’s paid.

Oh yes!

"Free parking is available at THORPE PARK Resort, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Alton Towers Resort and Warwick Castle."

WOW.

And...

Enter 31 of our attractions as a Premium Annual Passholder with no restrictions (other than attraction opening calendars, of course!)

Please note that for special events additional charges may apply. The new attraction: Shrek’s Adventure will be restricted when opening in the summer of 2015. Entry to this attraction is permitted after the 1st September 2015 however pre-booking will be required and is subject to availability.

And this is why Ladies and Gents that I simply don't bother with a Merlin Annual Pass. Too many scams. Just buy a pass for your closest park, that's what I do.

Are they actually expecting the Shrek attraction to be that popular?

Definitely a good year to quit Merlin then... Absolutely nothing good coming out of them this year...

Apparently so... Also, very surprised there is no micro site or website for Shrek yet... Not even a mention on the Annual pass site...

I'd imagine they're not keen on promoting Shrek's Adventure on the AP site to prevent confusion with it not being available til September for Premium passholders. Standard tickets for it go on sale in March in time for it's planned July opening date. The website (http://www.shreksadventure.com/) has it's domain name registered but no website yet!

I think the Legoland thing may be a mistake, the Legoland website still mentions free parking for the premium Legoland and premium Merlin passes.

As for the price ride, Merlin seem to be the only company who could charge 2015 prices in 2014 £40 more to renew than if you bought it yesterday.

Thats the main annoying thing about it, last year I paid £119 to renew my pass, which was a similar price to the year before. Now I have to pay £149 to renew (or just buy a new price for the same price). Last season they kept going on about it being cheaper to renew rather than buy a new pass, but that is not the case this year. i'm pretty sure it was £119 to renew all season, no matter what kind of sales were on. It's just a bit of a kick in the teeth for loyal users.

Gone are the days when the sale was easy to understand, it used to be 50% off both passes, then it was 50% off standard and you paid £30 to upgrade to premium, now its "up to 40% off" passes. The FAQ section also says it now costs £50 to upgrade from a standard pass to a premium one.

In the year when we get a new show at Chessie, a rethemed area in Legoland, nothing at Thorpe park and if rumors are to be believed a kids coaster at Alton Towers (or nothing). It's not looking great for the parks. Oh yes and now the terms have been updated you need to prebook most of the London attractions no matter what pass you have.

I think the Legoland thing may be a mistake, the Legoland website still mentions free parking for the premium Legoland and premium Merlin passes.

As for the price ride, Merlin seem to be the only company who could charge 2015 prices in 2014 £40 more to renew than if you bought it yesterday.

Thats the main annoying thing about it, last year I paid £119 to renew my pass, which was a similar price to the year before. Now I have to pay £149 to renew (or just buy a new price for the same price). Last season they kept going on about it being cheaper to renew rather than buy a new pass, but that is not the case this year. i'm pretty sure it was £119 to renew all season, no matter what kind of sales were on.

It's just a bit of a kick in the teeth for loyal users.
It definitely was £119 all year, Mr Truefitt! I decided to wait until the Jan sale to see if there was a further price drop, but a price rise in a sale is just wrong.