• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin 'Eyeing' up Singapore Flyer

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
According to this news article, Merlin are once again looking into expanding their midway attractions by possibly making a move on the struggling Singapore Flyer, the world's largest observation wheel.

72521_1680_948.jpg

The attraction went into receivership in May of this year. Vultures! :p

Merlin are also looking into opening other attractions in Singapore, so this could be joining more SeaLife and Madame Tussauds attractions.

Asia is the big market atm for leisure/tourism...

Usual minimum cost, decent return investment that the Midway attractions give out...

That sounds pretty much perfect for Merlin. Good news if true!

:)

josht said:
Well they could spend there money on worse things
They could spend it on better things as well, such as...Ooh, I dunno...properly maintaining what they already own. And yes, I'm looking at Towers, Thorpe and Chessie here.

Jonathan said:
josht said:
Well they could spend there money on worse things
They could spend it on better things as well, such as...Ooh, I dunno...properly maintaining what they already own. And yes, I'm looking at Towers, Thorpe and Chessie here.

Midways don't stop them investing in the parks, it's the midways that make most of the profit.

That may be the case, Dave, but the lack of investment in terms of maintenance in what should be the company's flagship products is somewhat concerning.

Jonathan said:
That may be the case, Dave, but the lack of investment in terms of maintenance in what should be the company's flagship products is somewhat concerning.

It is but saying they shouldn't invest in midway because of it isn't realistic.

All companies fund these projects via loans from banks based on the predicted profits and value created by the investment. Banks are not going to loan money for maintenance as you can't substantiate a profit from it.

Hence why commercial operators of theme parks are terrible as they are pulled apart by maximisation of profit and investment based on future profit/ value.

Basically the bank will back the big-wheel but not the can of paint.

I think maintenance does make more of a difference than that. How popular would parks like Europa, Disney's and Universal's be if they were all falling to pieces?

Though maintenance won't lead to much straight away, maintaining the park's older attractions and occasionally updating them (if they need it) is going to leave you with an attraction that's going to be much more appealing. If you're having a better time you won't mind spending a little extra, but if you pay as much as it costs to enter some of the parks here in the UK and feel cheated because the park isn't what you expected for the amount it cost to get in, why on earth would you want to continue giving the owners money?

I had no problem buying merchandise at Universal Orlando because I wanted to remember what an excellent time I had with a few trinkets, but I spend as little as I can at most parks in the UK because they don't offer very good value at all.

Big companies are only interested in ways they can make as much money as possible whilst putting as little in as possible in the shortest amount of time that they can. We all recognise how important upkeep is and I'm sure those at the parks do, but those in-charge of the funds won't care about anything other than saving and making more money. Who cares if the Nemesis alien looks like crap when you can just make another big ride with the odd piece of theming and a few more inversions on the other side of the park to distract people?

Meh. :/

I agree and i am sure the parks management would love a much bigger maintenance budget but as everyone has said the banks will only lend where can see a clear return on investment.

Back in the early 00's maintenance at Disneyland was becoming increasingly poor (while still much better than any of our parks) the usual Disney standards had dropped massively, a new CEO was brought in to run Disneyland and they massively turned things round and overall maintenance at both California Disney parks is now top class (their were issues with Indiana Jones last year but they closed the ride for a few months at end of last year and fixed it up, although was left it in a poor state for longer than they normally do)

A similar thing has now happened at Disney World with maintenance taking a dive over the past few years, i noticed some of this on my visit last year splash mountain was in a very poor state. I believe the CEO from Disneyland has now been brought in to take control of Disney World to get it back to Disney Standards.

Just need that to happen at merlin now, someone come in and realise the impact improved maintenance would have!

BigAl said:
I think maintenance does make more of a difference than that. How popular would parks like Europa, Disney's and Universal's be if they were all falling to pieces?

I agree, we all know thats a fact but the banks don't think that way, thats why commercially run theme parks are never as good as those that run by familes (Disney are perhaps the only big exception).

I was not saying i agree with the banks point of view but that is the situation we are in. Towers management put funding requests in for theming maintenance every season, they just don't get given the money.