• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin flotation

You'd need millions of shares to be able to have any decent influence.

Shares will probably be around a quid per share. Unless you've got a million quid hanging around..

Course, those with a few hundred thousand may have a slight influence also.

Yeah, fair point. In that case, I revert back to "this can only be a bad thing".

Alastair said:
As a shareholder, you'd be entitled to attend the AGM and even put forward points of discussion directly to the board. So, for example, you could concoct a detailed case for why the next big investment should be a wooden coaster and then present the idea in the meeting.

The trouble is if John Wardley has already done the above and yet they decided not to agree with him then what chance does any other single person with far less credibility than him have?

Tim said:
Alastair said:
As a shareholder, you'd be entitled to attend the AGM and even put forward points of discussion directly to the board. So, for example, you could concoct a detailed case for why the next big investment should be a wooden coaster and then present the idea in the meeting.

The trouble is if John Wardley has already done the above and yet they decided not to agree with him then what chance does any other single person with far less credibility than him have?

I'm not saying it would actually make a difference, just that it would be possible. The mere idea of hundreds of geeks cramming into the AGM along with Varney and his cronies is enough to make me want to do it ;)

I just had one of my mate walk past asking if merlin is now doing boat trips, after reading the title. :D

You only get to vote on anything if you are a ordinary shareholder if you are preferential shareholder you get a better payout rate but no influence at the AGM. Learnt it today in one of my accounts classes.

Yup, however you still need many shares to have any sort of influence - as it runs as a sort of democracy.

It'll be fine for someone to vote against something they dislike, regardless of how many shares they have. But if they vote against and only have a thousand or so shares, and an organisation owns millions votes for something, they'll obviously have more influence.

Also remember that shareholder votes won't be about trivial things such as what new ride to build where... but about budgets etc

And by budgets, Satch means whether to give the board of directors a 30% pay rise, or a 29.9% pay rise :p

Ian

Though tbf, if anything shareholders usually vote against most, is high director bonuses! ;).

Less money going towards bonuses = more money in the pot for dividends. Plus, quite rightly, they never think those directors deserve it.

More news(or more recycled news): Link

£1 Billion in Debt
£250 Million Profits
Estimated company value of £3 Billion.
Shutdown in US unlikely to delay floatation.

Ian

So basically if they just kept going for 4 years without selling shares they would be out the red and into the black. I'd rather stay a private company and not float.

Taken from the above Sky article:

Its board is chaired by Sir John Sunderland, the former boss of Cadbury-Schweppes and chair of the pay committee at Barclays.

Four investment banks - Barclays, Citi, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley - will rake in millions of pounds in fees from their work on the flotation.

How many new attractions/staff members etc would those millions of pounds buy/fund?

Natalie said:
... out the red and into the black ...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who read that and thought, "nothing in this game for two in a bed", before realising it was the wrong way round? :p

Merin have today officially announced their intention to float. The document I've just linked to contains quite a bit of interesting information, including that the Merlin theme parks (as a whole) have seen an overall 8% growth this year in comparison to last year - and those figures are only drawn from the period up until 31st August.

In addition, the group revenue has increased by just over 11% in the same period. On the contrary, they refer to The Smiler as a "successful investment" - proof that they only care about revenue and not about actual reliability/operation!

Well considering that investments are a success based upon the return it's quite clear that Smiler is a success in that regard...

Benzin said:
Well considering that investments are a success based upon the return it's quite clear that Smiler is a success in that regard...

I understand that, it's just the sheer irony that probably the last word any of us would use to describe it is "successful." ;)

Of course The Smiler is a successful investment, anyone who would say it isn't is kidding themselves.

Even after the issues, the ride has been hugely successful

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk