Minor theme park news

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Matt N, 12th Jun 2020.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Hi guys. I thought this thread would be a good idea in order to discuss the more minor pieces of theme park news that don’t really warrant their own thread.

The reason I made this thread is because would seem that the BLM movement has made its way into theme parks, as there is now a petition to retheme Splash Mountain at the Disney parks due to its links with Song of the South, a film about racial relationships: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...ash-mountain-and-it-has-the-perfect-candidate

One person even designed them a retheme based on The Princess and the Frog.

What are your thoughts? I personally think that Splash Mountain is fine as it is, because it omits all of the film’s more controversial, race-based elements, and to be honest, I wouldn’t even have linked it with a film about race having ridden it.

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 12th Jun 2020
  2. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Splash Mountain is one of my all time favourite Disney rides. It is in no way racist. Yes the source material is clearly racist and you will struggle to find Song of the South anywhere online. But Splash Mountain makes no reference to Song of the South; I did not even know that it had any links to a film until I learnt as much at a later date.

Joel3, MattyH, skyscraper and 2 others like this.
    Posted 12th Jun 2020
  3. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Totally agree with Rob here, it's a non-story. There is nothing racist about the ride itself whatsoever and, indeed, Disney has done everything in its power to disassociate itself from the source material it is (very loosely) based on.

I'm sure it will all blow over. People's outrage is much better focused elsewhere.

I'd also point out, @Matt N, that the film itself is far from being "about race". Rather, it contained some deeply offensive and damaging stereotypes.

MaxPower, Brad97, MattyH and 4 others like this.
    Posted 12th Jun 2020
  4. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right; thanks for the clarification @D4n! I must apologise for my poor choice of wording; I’m not particularly clued up on older Disney films, I must admit!

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 12th Jun 2020
  5. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

There is a great post on that at Yesterland https://www.yesterland.com/splashtheme.html

The ride is based on the Br'er Rabbit character, that in itself is really a folk story that existed prior to the Uncle Remus stories. Almost all of Disney's films are based upon fairytales and folk stories to some extent really, the issue with Song of the South is the framing device of Uncle Remus rather than the actual Br'er Rabbit characters I think and therefore I don't particularly there is a huge issue with the ride in isolation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laughing_Place and particularly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br'er_Rabbit#African_origins fill out some of the Br'er Rabbit story as well.

Also it wouldn't really work as a Princess and the Frog ride, there are no mountains in New Orleans.

skyscraper and Matt N like this.
    Posted 12th Jun 2020
  6. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Just destroy another classic, I'm thinking Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission Splashout.

Really though, what rubbish. Splash Mountain is twice removed from Song of the South and doesn't have even a hint of racism about it This sort of crap devalues the real cause.

Posted 12th Jun 2020
  7. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I give up with people.

What shall I be annoyed about today? *Checks notes*. Of course, a Log Flume.

Posted 12th Jun 2020
  8. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

Next they will be having the Jungle Cruise remove all the Africans.

Posted 13th Jun 2020
  9. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I don’t think a 21,000 strong petition is a big concern really. People have a genuine reason to be annoyed about racism and when any issue gets traction it pulls a lot of the more unusual ideas in its wake.

Just because some people are focusing on a log flume does not represent the core of the concerns people have, and almost certainly won’t get any traction. If Disney retheme the ride it will be a continuation of their obsession to have financially interesting IP’s attached to attractions rather than a concern about the rides tenuous links to Songs of the South.

speedy and jon81uk like this.
    Posted 15th Jun 2020
  10. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Not sure if this is the best place for it as it's a European park but here goes,

Funland at the Tropicana is returning to Weston Super Mare on 11 July with a new selection of rides including a spinning coaster (I haven't looked into which showman it belongs to yet).

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 3rd Jul 2020
  11. IDB

IDB TowersStreet Member

The Huss Break Dance has opened at Ocean Beach South Shields

MaxPower, pluk and Matt N like this.
    Posted 5th Jul 2020
  12. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

That's a fine looking machine.

MaxPower likes this.
    Posted 5th Jul 2020
  13. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    There are few better rides out there than a well run Breakdance.

Posted 5th Jul 2020
  14. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    In a bizarre conundrum for credit counters, White Lightning at Fun Spot America is being fitted with GCI’s new steel track in portions of the layout:
    Very interesting! I wonder how the ride will feel with this new track?

15. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Storm Runner at Hersheypark is down with the season along with Soopa Doopa Looper!

Matt N likes this.