• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Accident?

If every time anything like this was to happen with H&S then surely all passenger trains and buses would be fitted with seatbelts by now? They could do just as much, if not more damage when stopping quickly and it could easily be argued that such an incident is far more likely on both of those than on the Monorail.

As much as we all love to rant about it Health & Safety isn't so strict to that point things happen for every little incident. Look at the Mine Train incident! What happened as a result? The speed was reduced and a simple cable was added between the cars as a failsafe. If seatbelts need to be fitted to the Monorail then will they be applied to all other existing models? If it can happen to one that it warrants seatbelts surely it can just as easily happen to another?

If this was a repeat incident then I would be more inclined to agree with the suggestion Tom, but this is the first serious problem I can recall the ride having which has resulted in injured guests. If it was not down to an e-stop and was as has been suggested debris on the rail then it can be put down to a one off, and the ride's safety record will no doubt reflect that. Health and Safety may simply suggest that Alton inspect the track more frequently to ensure it is clean, and possibly make recommendations such as installing a guard on each train to prevent debris from passing under the train. If it's an e-stop they may just suggest that the park have the ride computers modified to tone down the stopping force on the ride. Adding seatbelts would be a big jump over an accident which, thus far, has little evidence to suggest a repeat incident.

Another prime example of how minor modifications can be made to rides. Someone recently had their arm trapped in an Intamin OTSR which resulted in quite a bad injury. So did H&S jump to the idea that all the restraints needed modifying and guards installing? No. As it never usually poses a serious threat all they did was place stickers on each train telling riders not to place their hands in the area (These can be seen on the sides of Rita's backrests if you want to see them).

B&M had a similar issue with people trapping fingers and hurting them quite badly in their Inverted coaster OTSRs. The solution once again was just a sticker and a guard fitted on request, but no mandatory. If it happens again then the guards might be made compulsory, but until then the problem has no reoccured.

Like I said early, yes H&S can be annoying and make seemingly stupid and random decisions from time to time, but they really aren't as strict and airtight as we sometimes believe. They will take into account the fact the Monorail has been operating for 25 years and look at if this has ever been a problem before, and if so what caused it. If this is the first time it has ever happened and it was down to a freak incident they will more than likely make a simple recommendation and probably suggest minor modification. I can't see seatbelts being installed unless it either happens again or there is a high risk of it happening again.

Personally I don't think anything will be modified upon the monorail it shows that the e-stop are working to full effect personally I think it's come at a time when other rides have been at fault so there are major speculations when things like this happen

josht said:
Personally I don't think anything will be modified upon the monorail it shows that the e-stop are working to full effect personally I think it's come at a time when other rides have been at fault so there are major speculations when things like this happen

If it was an E-stop and it is revealed it was activated for no reason, it could be determined that the system itself is unsafe.

The Health and Safety Executive is a body, a government department. It isn't just "health and safety" like a lot of people misinterpret them as. They enforce the Health and Safety at Work Act by telling people what you must or must not do.

*If* the system is deemed to have dangerous flaws then it will be changed in some way.

Who knows what action the HSE will enforce or advise, or what the park may take upon themselves to do (if anything).

Following the recent accident on Lightwater Valley's Ladybird, they put in strange-looking side plates to stop people putting their leg out. There can be bizarre follow-up actions after incidents and I'm kind of expecting one from this but it's only a guess and I'm not going to argue the case for seatbelts.

From TTF, though of course I have zero idea as to the validity of this info:

The Alton Towers Resort Monorail is closed following an incident yesterday. A fault on one of the track switches caused the ride to nearly derail near the Monorail storage depot. The Monorail driver was able to emergency stop the ride preventing any major injuries and Alton Towers staff were quick to react and reassure passengers, assisting in getting them medical help where appropriate.

We at TowersTimes have an exclusive eye witness report from one of the guests at the resort that day:

"The track switched over to the second line that runs down to the tram storage area, the gap between the track and the switch point was nearing and derailing looked imminent. Luckily the driver managed to spot the potential disaster in time to slam on the emergency brakes. We came to a screaming halt, full speed to 0 in about half a second, sending us flying to the front of the carriage.

Phew, major disaster averted, the only consequences being a few cuts and bruises, a guy with a broken nose and a young girl who had bitten through her bottom lip. To our relief the staff were there within a minute, opened the doors and checked us all over. Medics came and got the worst of the injured people out and off to hospital. I, along with four friends was given gas and air in the monorail whilst we waited for paramedics to come and check us over before we could leave.

During the whole incident the staff really took care of us, we were fed, given water, blankets and even put us in the medical centre where we could have a well needed lie down and time to relax while we waited. Finally we arrived home at about 1am, very sore but thankful it wasn’t a lot worse than it could have been!

The staff were all fantastic; very caring and calming. They really kept order and acted so quickly, obviously they train for such events and it definitely paid off."

The Monorail remains closed and is likely to remain so for some time. We will update if we hear anymore.

If it was indeed a problem with the switch track not being properly in place (could just be speculation on the informant's part), then that's really quite serious...

Sam said:
I know of no monorail in the world with seatbelts. Even after the fatal train collision on the WDW monorail in 2009, seatbelts were not fitted so that seems unlikely. :)

On top of that, are there any Trains in the world that have seatbelts? I can't think of any

I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturers of the monorail system itself are no longer in production, but the manufacturers who make the trains still are.

I'll try and find there name somewhere, hold on!

Edit: Anyone know of them? I can't remember the name but they make Cable Car's almost identical to poma's, But offer a Sauna cable car... Anyone, Please?!

Islander said:
From TTF, though of course I have zero idea as to the validity of this info:

The Alton Towers Resort Monorail is closed following an incident yesterday. A fault on one of the track switches caused the ride to nearly derail near the Monorail storage depot. The Monorail driver was able to emergency stop the ride preventing any major injuries and Alton Towers staff were quick to react and reassure passengers, assisting in getting them medical help where appropriate.

We at TowersTimes have an exclusive eye witness report from one of the guests at the resort that day:

"The track switched over to the second line that runs down to the tram storage area, the gap between the track and the switch point was nearing and derailing looked imminent. Luckily the driver managed to spot the potential disaster in time to slam on the emergency brakes. We came to a screaming halt, full speed to 0 in about half a second, sending us flying to the front of the carriage.

Phew, major disaster averted, the only consequences being a few cuts and bruises, a guy with a broken nose and a young girl who had bitten through her bottom lip. To our relief the staff were there within a minute, opened the doors and checked us all over. Medics came and got the worst of the injured people out and off to hospital. I, along with four friends was given gas and air in the monorail whilst we waited for paramedics to come and check us over before we could leave.

During the whole incident the staff really took care of us, we were fed, given water, blankets and even put us in the medical centre where we could have a well needed lie down and time to relax while we waited. Finally we arrived home at about 1am, very sore but thankful it wasn’t a lot worse than it could have been!

The staff were all fantastic; very caring and calming. They really kept order and acted so quickly, obviously they train for such events and it definitely paid off."

The Monorail remains closed and is likely to remain so for some time. We will update if we hear anymore.

If it was indeed a problem with the switch track not being properly in place (could just be speculation on the informant's part), then that's really quite serious...

Wow that's almost Final Destination-esque. The thought of would could have happened is frightening.

I have to say that surely there is a more gradual way of stopping the train, even if it is with half the force? If there actually is, then the driver's attention span/vision could be questioned as there are no blind bends that would give just a few seconds warning.

The eyewitness account is very interesting, but somewhat questionable at this stage. Conveniently there are no photographs.

I may be wrong but I thought there were traffic lights (red, green) at this section to alert the drivers if the track was in place or not.....

LordOfDarkness said:
I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturers of the monorail system itself are no longer in production, but the manufacturers who make the trains still are.

I'll try and find there name somewhere, hold on!

Edit: Anyone know of them? I can't remember the name but they make Cable Car's almost identical to poma's, But offer a Sauna cable car... Anyone, Please?!

The system was from Von Roll Holding, who used to make Cable Cars. The trains were designed I believe by C.W.A who also made Cable Car gondolas for Poma at one point (Presumably before Sigma took off). There was also Allott and Lomax involved in the project.

As I said earlier Von Roll are still around, but not in the same form they used to be :)

C.W.A might still be going for all I know. I've never looked into it!

Interesting that there's an article but, as Tom's pointed out, no photos. I'm still questioning what on earth happened until there's something official from the park.

GaryH said:
I may be wrong but I thought there were traffic lights (red, green) at this section to alert the drivers if the track was in place or not.....

There are, and so then that throws up a few questions: 1) were those lights working, 2) if they were, what distracted the driver, 3) if they weren't, is there some kind of interlock to prevent a train continuing without the track in place (there must surely be), 4) if not, why on earth not, and 5) if there is, then what went wrong?

Of course, this all assumes that this report of events is correct. I'm not 100% convinced, but it does seem plausible.

Islander said:
GaryH said:

There are, and so then that throws up a few questions: 1) were those lights working, 2) if they were, what distracted the driver, 3) if they weren't, is there some kind of interlock to prevent a train continuing without the track in place (there must surely be), 4) if not, why on earth not, and 5) if there is, then what went wrong?

Of course, this all assumes that this report of events is correct. I'm not 100% convinced, but it does seem plausible.

There are no traffic lights on the system anywhere.

I believe that the whole process relies on radio communication amongst staff to ensure that the switch track is clear and the run up to it. It is however, possible that the track was moved by accident or failed in some way I guess.

There are signs over Forbidden Valley though, which are used to tell the driver when he is clear of the switch track and the route can be changed. But I believe that they have to alert all other staff of this, and no more trains are allowed to leave Towers Street until the track is back in it's normal position.

What you have to ask yourself is how likely is someone to realistically witness it?

Obviously none of the passengers on the train can see it (unless their evacuation enabled them to), so it means that someone would have to be specifically watching the monorail track in that section in Forbidden Valley (? - not too sure on geography of monorail station offhand) around 30 minutes after ride close.

Tom said:
What you have to ask yourself is how likely is someone to realistically witness it?

Obviously none of the passengers on the train can see it (unless their evacuation enabled them to), so it means that someone would have to be specifically watching the monorail track in that section in Forbidden Valley (? - not too sure on geography of monorail station offhand) around 30 minutes after ride close.
The Monorail shed and switch track is just behind where Sub-Terra is, if Google Maps and my judgement is correct. :)

I'm still somewhat curious as to how anyone other than the driver would be able to see the switch was not in place ahead personally. I know they sometimes let people ride up front, but it's rare it happens. If you're sat any further back you'd need a clear line of sight to see it, be close to the front, and the driver to be probably leaning forwards. Otherwise you'd have a job seeing ahead. It's exactly why the driver is at the front and not at the back. So they have an unobstructed view!

One question, if the person who gave the eye witness report actually SAW what happened, why didn't he photograph this?

Whether he was off ride or on ride, he would of got a clear enough detailed view to see what happened so... Suspicious.

And i'm guessing he is the only one to see that this occurred?

Sounds too fishy for me...