Monorail Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Future Discussion' started by WallisDan, 13th Oct 2017.

1. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

First thing KIRKBI needs to invest in when they take over tomorrow is an overhaul or replacement for the monorail. It gives an horrible first impression of the park and is so inefficient that 90% of the time we give up and walk.

skyscraper likes this.
  2. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

Probably their main priority and only reason for taking that extra 20% tbh

(I do agree the entire entrance experience is terrible for such a big park)

skyscraper likes this.
  3. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Zeerust at it's finest. Litterally.

MaxPower likes this.
  4. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

That’s truly shocking

skyscraper likes this.
  5. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Bit of a late response on my part but: why not Eurostar?

6. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

My partner has no interest in coasters, I have no interest in long distance travel anymore.
    Very happy with my coaster lot.
    Less travel, more coasters.

7. speedy

Fair enough :)

skyscraper likes this.
  8. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I'm not opposed to the monorail. But when queuing before you go on its so plain and boring. This is meant to be getting you hyped for the day. I think using TVs and having something like ads for the rides like a fake news report for the nemesis and generally getting people excited is needed.

Obviously a overhaul of the monorail is needed with the screens going and a clean up. But it just feels like the experience is dampened by the current monorail experience

BarryZola likes this.
  9. SuperMuscleMan

SuperMuscleMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    The whole entrance experience needs a refurb... I'd like to know how many trains would be needed for a good service.

Could you imagine if they completely refreshed the whole experience? Adjust the buildings, modernise them. Add basic projection mapping in the darker sections maybe? (Stars magic dust etc)
    Currently the stations remind me of an old carpark from a shopping center that needs to be pulled down. The monorails themselves need to be rebuilt. What would a new set actually cost? Would the system cope with 5 trains if airgates were installed?

Poopoohead, Tibble and Doublethink like this.
  10. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

I'm of the opinion that it just needs to be allowed to die and instead use some of the money saved to build another entrance towards the Forbidden Valley side somewhere. When the Grand Entrance was first installed there was no Forbidden Valley or Haunted House so it made sense that you'd have to travel via the monorail or something when more parking was needed to get over to the main entrance near to where many of the rides were. This is just not the case any more though and it would be totally acceptable to enter somewhere over the FV side and be able to start enjoying your day straight away.

It makes little sense to have to travel around the perimeter of the site passing lots of rides either walking or using the monorail (passing over rides in the case of the monorail). You could then have 2 entrances and Towers Street could pretty much stay as it is but with less staff needed at that entrance. Parking could then be spread across all areas (coaches would obviously be forced to still use the coach park).

11. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

Would be nice to see them pull a Hershey Park/ Ceader Point and build a new entrance with an integrated signature coaster/ Ride like Gatekeeper and Candymonium. We will see what happens now post Merlin buyout and delist

12. SuperMuscleMan

SuperMuscleMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    I think the entrance is quite iconic. It would be a shame to see it go. The basic beam infrastructure is still of great value. It's just the ride vehicle that need replacing. If it's to bill itself as a resort I feel they have to keep it. The infrastructure is not built for a entrance in FV the paths to the rest of the park are too small. Towers street gives you that grand entrance, and shopping options. Let's hope the new group see the potential in the system and current site and really enhance it.

Poopoohead, Nerdsticks and RoyJess like this.
  13. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Once you are through the gates and walking down Towers Street, it feels better and especially if entertainers are there (rare but still) you get a good feeling.

But up to that point it feels dull. Like they aren't interested in you until you have paid.

14. LordOfDarkness

LordOfDarkness TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    If only there was a world renowned company just down the road that could provide new rolling stock...

15. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

You mean put everyone in the back of a huge dump truck using a certain brand digger and them tip them out by the entrance plaza? ;)

LordOfDarkness likes this.
  16. speedy

Although nowhere near as cool, it would probably be easier to purchase several land trains and use them instead. Busch Gardens Tampa has a system like this

Thameslink Rail likes this.
  17. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

I agree and personally I think it would actually be more fun on the land train. Maybe have a £1 charge per person to use it also to pay for the drivers etc. Do this along with a new 2nd entrance in my opinion. So basically if you want to start at Towers Street you can either walk for free, pay £1 for the land train or pay over £10 for express parking. Alternatively you could just take a small walk to the sparkly new closer 2nd entrance for free. May as well stick the cross-valley woodie in while they're at it too to save the builders coming back at a later date.

18. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    I think a second entrance would be a mistake. Walking down Towers Street and seeing the Towers for the first time is iconic and magical, almost like the Disney castles. It'd be a shame to lose that. Towers Street also provides commercial opportunities such as shops, cafes and photo points that would lose income.

As for a land train, as much as I like the idea I can't see that getting past Merlin's safety policies.

Steve74, MattyH, Nerdsticks and 3 others like this.
  19. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Interestingly the solution to getting people between the car parks and the entrance plaza before the monorail opened was - land trains. You can see them in the classic video of Treasure Hunt with Anneka Rice from around 1986.

I think as regular visitors we can easily fall into the trap of not appreciating the ‘theatre’ and excitement of taking the monorail and walking down Towers St to start your day. As a child I remember this being a part of the Alton Towers magic, no where else had a monorail, and seeing all the rides you would be going on during the day built up the anticipation.

I know the state of it at the moment means it doesn’t work that way right now, but with some cash it easily could be back to its heyday. I say spend the money on the monorail and not a new entrance.

James, Doublethink, DiogoJ42 and 4 others like this.
  20. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I think if they replace the rolling stock they will install driverless automatic system. This would cut the running costs as they would only need station staff and one central controller to oversee the rolling stock operations.

Also automated operations could add capacity to the system. As they could make it a 6 or 8 block system.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

SuperMuscleMan and skyscraper like this.