• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most and least successful implementations of queue jumping systems (e.g. Fastrack)?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Over the years, queue jumping systems have become increasingly prevalent within theme parks. Whether free or paid, the majority of theme parks now have some kind of system in place allowing guests to skip the queues in some capacity. Whether you like it or not, Fastrack, FastPass or whatever your local park's queue jumping pass is called is here to stay. The implementations of such a system differ, however, so I'd be intrigued to know; in your opinion, what have been some of the most and least successful implementations of queue jumping systems? Which systems work well, and which ones don't work quite so well, in your opinion?

I'll get the ball rolling with my answers...
Most Successful
I can think of a couple of examples that seem to work well, off the top of my head.
  • I controversially quite liked FastPass+ at Walt Disney World. The fact that it was free and everyone had the same opportunities from it was great, I personally benefitted from it a fair amount when I used it, and it didn't seem to affect the main queues too much, as they always moved well.
  • While I never used it, I also remember Universal Express at Universal Orlando Resort seeming to work well. It never had too much of an impact upon the main queue line.
Least Successful
In terms of ones that don't work so well; the only one I can think of that I even remember picking up on was FastPass at Oakwood Theme Park. When I went to Oakwood on a school trip in July 2016, usage of it was heavy, and the main queues moved slowly as a result. The FastPass queue was a bona fide queue in itself, nearly as long as the main queue, and the park would make full trains consisting only of FastPass users. They rotated trains between "train full of main queue" and "train full of FastPass", and a queue for Speed that would probably have been no longer than 10-15 minutes or so at most theme parks took 90 minutes as a result. A queue for Megafobia that would have been a 1 or 2 cycle wait (no longer than 5 minutes) in many places took 30 minutes. In fairness, the queues did still move periodically and I did get on the rides eventually, so that's probably a bit harsh of me to criticise. And I'd imagine that the busyness of the day probably exacerbated the demand on the system. I still got on 6 rides during the day, which was pretty good!

But which are the most and least successful implementations of queue jumping systems in your view?

It’s all depends on the size of the park and the popularity of the system.

For example, the best value fast track system I’ve ever used was the Flash Pass at Six Flags Mexico, where we paid a very reasonable price for 10 fast pass entries to ANY ride with fast track.

This was great because it meant we could not bother with some of the more generic rides such as the drop tower, but could do 2,3 or 4 rides on the same coaster. We had fast track re-rides on Medusa and Superman for example.

This system however, only worked because a small number of people were using it. Had the system been more popular, they would definitely need to change it to one ride maximum on each coaster. Imagine if, for example, Alton Towers had the same system. The fastrack queues for Smiler and Wickerman for example, would be enormous if facstrack holders could re-ride them and not bother with the less popular rides.

The worst is Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s Speedy Pass system. Rides and queues lines which just aren’t geared up to cope with such a system, leading to chaos on busy days. The fact that Speedy Pass has been in place for over ten years and barely anything has been done to address the issues, makes it all the more frustrating.

One of the best examples of such a system I have used is Max Pass, which is what Disneyland Resort had before all of the Genie stuff came in. We paid $15 per day and you got access to fastpass reservation time slots as well as unlimited Photopass for the day. It was quite a dynamic system and allowed to you reserve 2 or 3 rides at the same time in some cases (depending on the rides and the time slots you had).

We made the most out of the unlimited Photopass also, so all in all it was great value for money!

One thing about the Max Pass, not sure if it was ever sorted, when a ride became unavailable, the pass you had for that ride automatically defaulted to ‘any attraction’. However, you were still able to book a slot of an unavailable ride, which then became available to use on any ride even those which had no more reservations available.

Of course this was not abused in anyway at all.🤔

I never experienced the max pass, but to be fair Genie+ in California earlier this year, worked pretty well for us. Very reasonably priced, we were able to book, I think, one ride at a time, and got the photopass included.

Obviously it’s kind of disappointing when you know that this exact system used to be free (and I think still is free in Shanghai) but once you get past that, it’s a decent, good value system.

My biggest objection to the Genie systems is how the different tiers are pretty confusing for your average guest to get their head round.

I never experienced the max pass, but to be fair Genie+ in California earlier this year, worked pretty well for us. Very reasonably priced, we were able to book, I think, one ride at a time, and got the photopass included.

Obviously it’s kind of disappointing when you know that this exact system used to be free (and I think still is free in Shanghai) but once you get past that, it’s a decent, good value system.

My biggest objection to the Genie systems is how the different tiers are pretty confusing for your average guest to get their head round.

Genie+ in California is almost identical to MaxPass, except for the high-tier attractions being an alternative additional charge.
Also there is no free paper FastPass, whereas MaxPass was an option to collect FastPass on phone instead of paper, now its the only option.

But from what I've seen it generally works OK in Cali, enough attractions to spread guests out and less stress trying to get a reservation.

But in Florida on-site guests can book at 7am, which is rubbish for anyone who doesn't want to get up early and rubbish for those off-site. Also some parks just don't have many attractions on the system as they have more shows etc.