• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most “marmite” coasters

I think in both those examples there is a contingent who don't like them simply because they are off the shelf models. I understand why people don't like that aspect of them, especially if you're well travelled. That said, for me, a Sky Rocket II in particular is one of the best mid-tier rides in years for my money.

In the same way that if there was a single SLC somewhere, I suspect it would be held in slightly different regard than all its peers are today.
It’s not the clone aspect that some people don’t seem to like. I’ve heard people come off both ride types saying that they hated them and/or they made them feel physically sick. There are certainly a fair few haters of both SRIIs & Free Spins.

I’ve got another suggestion; I think B&M flying coasters are quite polarising, particularly the bigger, more intense ones (I’m thinking Tatsu, Flying Dinosaur, Manta etc.). There are plenty of people who absolutely love the sensation of blood rushing to your head in a huge, intense element like a pretzel loop, but there are also people like me who aren’t particularly keen (well, I don’t remember being too keen on Manta’s, anyway). My favourite flyer is actually Galactica; I actually find that a really nice, fun ride with far more palatable g-forces! The fly-to-lie isn’t my favourite element or something I absolutely love, by any means, but I can tolerate it much better than I can a pretzel loop.

On the subject of intense coasters, add Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion into the discussion. That coaster’s supposed biblical grey outs certainly divide opinion!

Maybe it would be easier to have a thread about coasters that don't polarise enthusiasts. Feels like it would be a short thread.
Of course everything polarises enthusiasts to a certain degree, but I’d say some polarise more than others, for sure. This thread is about finding the ones that polarise enthusiasts the most!
EDIT: I’ve only just realised; why on Earth did I post this in the Europe forum, because this thread certainly isn’t Europe-specific?

Controversial but is say Oblivion

People loved it when I opened as it was new and innovative but has since been surpassed by bugger and probably better versions.

Now a lot of people see the layout at bland and the ride as a one trick pony

For me it’s a definitely a love or hate ride. Personally I still love it
Who is this bugger that has surpassed Oblivion?
How dare they?

On topic...likewise, I love the ride because of the drop, but hate it because I felt from day one...too short.

Of those not already mentioned

Rock 'n' Rollercoaster
Hyperion
Saw: The Ride

Rock n Rollercoaster is a great shout.

Good news though......the one being changed to Iron Man at DLP will have lap bars apparently. :)

I think the most controversial roller coasters tend to be the ones where the size of rider has a significant bearing. I've read a few really negative reviews of the Matterhorn Bobsled and Stampida, only to realise at the end that the seats were too small. Some roller coasters with OSTRs seem to be really rough for shorter guests, but no problem for taller people.

You also tend to get more extreme opinions for new rides, and then the opinions settle down over time. When you've watched a ride being built, piece by piece, you tend to go in with fairly strong expectations.

I think generally opinions are getting more extreme these days. It's the whole click bait culture. The most extreme opinions get the most likes and shares. Youtube's full of videos with wild claims in the title. I'm getting a bit fed up with it, though. I'd rather read something more nuanced.

Controversial but is say Oblivion

People loved it when I opened as it was new and innovative but has since been surpassed by bugger and probably better versions.

Now a lot of people see the layout at bland and the ride as a one trick pony

For me it’s a definitely a love or hate ride. Personally I still love it

I still love Oblivion the most out of the divers I've ridden. The main reason why is I think it's still a technical masterpiece and I love its drop. The coaster fits in with the theme perfectly as much as the theme fits in with the coasters, diving right into darkness? It honestly still feels amazing to me. I've also ridden Sheikra and Krake, which while both fun rides, they felt a bit empty to me. Sheikra particular just felt like a standard drop. Krake was a bit better thanks to the well done theming at the bottom, but still not on Blivvy's level.