• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most Missed Rides

Out of all of these major rides, which do you miss the most?

• Octopus

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Splash Cats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swan Boats

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Thunder Looper

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Toyland Tours

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • Vintage Cars

• Haunted House

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Dynamo

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Doom & Sons

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Corkscrew

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Boneshaker

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Blackhole

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Alton Beast

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Around the World in 80 Days

• 1001 Nights

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Rides I miss the most

1/ Wicked Witches Haunt Thorpe Park, used to love this enjoyed all the creepy and scary scenes in the ride, it was very good for the small park thorpe was back then.

2/ Tropical Travels Thorpe Patk, was a charming little boat ride round some scenic gardens with an indoor section I think,

3/ Magic Theatre, a small but great little attraction based at Legoland which closed seven years ago. Olivia's House is there now.

There are lots of rides I wish I got to try too, Corkscrew, black hole, toyland tours and magic mountain at Blackpool amongst others.

Although I enjoyed Corkscrew, the Beast and the Black Hole more than the Haunted House, all three of them were heading to natural retirement. Haunted House was ruined before its time.

It's a tough one.

I loved Corkscrew, Dynamo and Haunted House. Bone Shaker, Black Hole and Toyland Tours were good rides too.

However, I think I'll have to go for Dynamo! I'm surprised it only had one vote in this topic previously... this ride really could pack a punch with great speed, a sharp spin and surprisingly high g's, on a good program.

It was very deceptive and didn't get the queues it deserved. Whilst enthusiasts tended to rate it, the general public often walked by (in its FV days), to Nemesis, Ripsaw and Air. However, its quality was very much dependant on the operator / and peak/off-peak days.

I actually (and I know I'm in the minority), prefer Duel to Haunted House, and yes I was a big fan of HH. I prefer Th13teen to Corkscrew too, but that's not taking anything away from HH/Corkscrew, both quality rides.

Have to go for corkscrew as it was my first ride with an inversion in it. Led the way to my mad 15 times on the Smiler in one day plus many more rides on the same day. RIP Corkscrew

I have to say that I loved the Thunderlooper, so to a degree missed a lot more than Corkscrew.

That said, I miss the Corkscrew in that it's replacement simply wasted so so much of that rides footprint - and just wasn't a worth replacement.

However, two rides that haven't been noted at all, and that were pretty fab flat rides at their time was the TurboStar and TriStar, which I absolutely loved.

On the subject of the Corkscrew, does anyone else feel it's very wrong that the track colour of the Corkscrew inversions at the main entrance is purple, not yellow? If they'd have inverted the colours and made the track gold and the supports purple, I'd have been happy.

I believe the original plan was that the corkscrews were going to be painted yellow, but to get to stay in the planning authorities' good books they had to go for a darker colour. Purple was at the time (and probably still is) the main colour for the park's brand, so would have been the natural second choice.

Last edited:
I think it looks nice as it is tbh.
I don't disagree, it does look nice, but it's not how I remember it. The yellow corkscrew element appeared in a lot of Alton's promotional literature. Maybe I'm just getting old, and grumpy?

It would have to be Thunder Looper for me, or perhaps the Black Hole. I kick myself being too sentimental sometimes, but have to recognise that both of those rides come from an era that predated the period in which they were removed.

They both did a job in help shaping the park as it is today, but I guess the time was right for them to be retired.

The Corkscrew pre-Rita.

When it was the focal point of the area it looked fantastic and was a great coaster for those who wernt quite ready for Nemesis or Oblivion.

Corkscrew R.I.P my old friend, even though you tried to break my back and neck you will be sorely missed :cry:

I miss Gravitron the most. That knowledge that your 'wall compartment/bed' is about to slide upwards and you know it is going to trap either your head or at least your hair in the mechanism is something that I miss deeply.

I don't disagree, it does look nice, but it's not how I remember it. The yellow corkscrew element appeared in a lot of Alton's promotional literature. Maybe I'm just getting old, and grumpy?

Corkscrew also appeared in red on some of the Towers posters at that time too.

I miss Toyland Tours, it was such a good fun darkride it had a really cool catchy soundtrack to flow with the boat ride; the hippo at the end :laughing: a sense of humor for the adults as well. Another ride if i'm allowed to fit one in is Black Hole; it was my FIRST-EVER ride at Alton Towers in 2001, I felt a lot of G's :cool::cool:on that one and my legs were shaking afterwards, the last ride to go on it was 2004 with my friends in Harlow, Essex.