• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most noteworthy UK park you haven’t visited and most noteworthy UK coaster you haven’t ridden

It's quite subjective, but to be fair there's a reason why it's lasted for so long. It does have challenges, including the fact it's now got a 1.25 metre height requirement, which is disproportionate to the level of intensity. But I'd say it is a decent coaster overall. The section at the end where it races through the ride's structure really magnifies the sense of speed, and getting the sea views from the turnaround adds something to the ride.

Just found a 'List of amusement parks in the UK' that I printed off from Wiki in Feb this year. I have a vague memory of a thread around that time called something like 'Which UK parks have you visited?' but I can't find it, so thought I'd put mine up here. I am far from a theme park nerd, I bet some of you here have done the lot!

UK parks I've been to:
Alton Towers
Blackgang Chine
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Bottons Pleasure Beach
Brean Leisure Park
Camelot
Chessington World of Adventures
Drayton Manor
Fantasy Island
Flambards
Flamingo Land
Frontierland
Gulliver's World
Legoland
Lightwater Valley
Robin Hill Country Park
Southport Pleasureland
Thorpe Park

Not been to:
Adventure Island (Southend)
Adventure Wonderland (Hurn, nr Bournemouth)
The Big Sheep (Abbotsham, Devon)
Billing Aquadrome (Northampton)
Camel Creek Adventure Park (Wadebridge)
Clarence Pier (Portsmouth)
Codonas Amusement Park (Aberdeen)
Coney Beach Pleasure Park (Porthcawl)
Crealy Great Adventure Park (Exeter)
Diggerland (various)
Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre (Lifton)
Dreamland (Margate)
Funland (Hayling Island, Portsmouth)
Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
Gulliver's Kingdom (Matlock)
Gulliver's Land (Milton Keynes)
Gulliver's Valley (Rotherham)
Harbour Park (Littlehampton)
Hidden Valley Discovery Park (Launceston)
Hollycombe Steam Collection (Liphook)
Joyland (Great Yarmouth)
Landmark Forest Adventure Park (Carrbridge)
M&Ds, Scotland's Theme Park (Motherwell)
The Milky Way amusement park (Bideford)
Oakwood Theme Park (Narberth)
Paultons Family Theme Park (New Forest)
Pleasurewood Hills (Lowestoft)
Twinlakes Theme Park (Melton Mowbray)
West Midlands Safari Park (Bewdley)
Wheelgate Park (Farnsfield)
Wicksteed Park (Kettering)
Woodlands Family Theme Park (Dartmouth)

I put the locations in brackets for my own interest, I had to look up several parks as I hadn't got a Scooby where they are! I am guessing just by the names of a fair few of these, that some mainly exist for young families. I missed the boat with these as my kids are now too old to hit those parks anyway. As such, I'm not sure there's a great deal that interests me out of what remains. Anyway, to answer the OP, I guess the most noteworthy unvisited park there would be Oakwood, and thus coaster Megafobia. I've stood outside Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach in April I guess just days before it opened. Oh well, I hadn't gone to visit the park anyway. Still, I'd like to do that and Joyland whilst there sometime. Was always disappointed I never did The American Adventure.

Wouldn't mind doing Dingles heritage en route to Cornwall sometime. Think it was shut along with all other parks last time I was anywhere near it. Would quite like to do Dreamland even though I believe the Scenic Railway isn't that good anyway. I last did Flamingo Land in 2007 so there's a good few rides I've not done there. I guess this makes it high on the priority list, even just to see if Hero really is as crap as they say it is. Was waiting for Sik, so no excuse now. Won't ever visit Lightwater Valley again sadly, with no Ultimate. Would like to do Thorpe again, only been once: it was really busy, Stealth was shut and I didn't do Nemesis Inferno or Tidal Wave. Queued nearly 4 hours combined for Colossus & Saw. Absolute pig of a day. May as well wait for new coaster now.

Main problem is they are all such a long way from the North West, journey time & cost just means I really CBA, though I'd like to tick a few of these off someday. Which would you say from the lower list are worth a visit and aren't too heavy on family / spinny rides - I prefer coasters & water rides (I've all but forgotten what those are like since Valhalla shut)? Thanks

Thinking about it some more, I am yet to ride these coasters:

Megafobia
Speed: No Limits

The Swarm (wasn't there last time I went)
Stealth
Nemesis Inferno

Kumali
Mumbo Jumbo
Hero
Sik

Roller Coaster

Rage

I somehow haven't got around to going to either Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Flamingo Land.
Most noteworthy coaster I haven't ridden: The Big One.

The most noteworthy UK park I’m yet to do remains Flamingo Land, but given its high levels of praise, I’m going to change my answer for the most noteworthy UK coaster I haven’t done to Sik at Flamingo Land.

The most notable UK park I haven’t been to is either Oakwood or Fantasy Island. I’m in the North East so both of them are a bit of a slog to get to but I’d think I’m much more likely to make the trek to Skegness some time than Pembrokeshire.

I haven’t been to Chessington for about 20 years so I’ve not done Dragons Fury either. So I’d probably say that and Megafobia are my two most notable UK omissions, along with Millennium, Odyssey, and Speed. I’ve yet to do Rage or Sik either.

@Dipper_Dave out of that list you posted...

Not been to:
Adventure Wonderland (Hurn, nr Bournemouth)
The Big Sheep (Abbotsham, Devon)
Blackgang Chine
Camelot
Codonas Amusement Park (Aberdeen)
Diggerland (various)
Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre (Lifton)
Dreamland (Margate)
Frontierland
Gulliver's World
Gulliver's Valley (Rotherham)
Hidden Valley Discovery Park (Launceston)
Hollycombe Steam Collection (Liphook)
Landmark Forest Adventure Park (Carrbridge)
M&Ds, Scotland's Theme Park (Motherwell)
The Milky Way amusement park (Bideford)
Robin Hill Country Park
Twinlakes Theme Park (Melton Mowbray)
Woodlands Family Theme Park (Dartmouth)

Out of those, Dingles, Dreamland, Big Sheep and Milky Way are the only ones I can see me doing. As you say, most are hard to justify.

Would recommend Woodlands if anyone is in the area. There's no coasters there but it's a very charming, clean and friendly park. It's a yearly staple for our family. The wider area is also beautiful.

Never visited Thorpe Park. Never been on the big one either. Tried earlier in the year but it was closed due to winds apparently.

Flamingo Land springs to mind as does Fantasy Island. Both on the list.

Never got to visit to Camelot sadly.

Most noteworthy coaster I’ve not done yet is probably Icon. I’ve been to BPB but it was a good while before Icon was built. Due another visit at some point, want the kids to be tall enough because at the moment the only coasters they’d be able to do would be Big Dipper, Streak and Blue Flyer.

Well I finally made the long drive to Fantasy Island. And… I got spited by Odyssey. That was always my concern to be honest and something that had put me off making the journey before. But funnily enough though it’s closure wasn’t down to winds but it seems that it’s a longer term maintenance issue instead. I don’t think I’ll be rushing to come back here either which is a pity as I really was looking forward to riding Odyssey but on the bright side Millennium wasn’t bad at all.

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was randomly browsing and thought I could update this thread…

I’ve now visited Flamingo Land and ridden Sik, so those two are no longer my most significant unvisited UK park and unridden UK coaster respectively. Those titles now probably go to Fantasy Island and Odyssey.

I realise that I may have now hit a bit of a ceiling in terms of UK park visiting, though. All of the semi-major UK theme parks I haven’t visited are now absolutely miles away with only 1 or 2 major coasters each, and part of me would struggle to justify the journey.

The semi-major UK parks I can think of that I haven’t visited are:
  • Fantasy Island (Odyssey/Millennium)
  • Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach (Roller Coaster)
  • Pleasurewood Hills (Wipeout)
  • Adventure Island (Rage)
  • Dreamland Margate (Scenic Railway)
Lightwater Valley would have been on that list a few years ago when The Ultimate still operated, along with the likes of Raptor Attack, and had we done our Flamingo Land trip a few years earlier, I may have suggested a trip to LWV while in the area, but I’d argue that the removal of The Ultimate has pushed Lightwater Valley more into the “minor UK parks” bracket.

All of these semi-major UK parks are easily a minimum of 4 hours away from me (in the Forest of Dean, around 6 miles from the South Wales border) by car and even further by public transport, with return train costs of over £100, and part of me struggles to justify the journey for the amount of major draws on offer… am I being overly snobbish or lazy?

There are a large number of more minor UK parks I haven’t visited (the only minor UK parks I’ve visited are West Midlands Safari Park and South Pier Blackpool), including some that are relatively close to me… my closest theme park is Funland at the Tropicana in Weston-super-Mare, which is 30 miles away in straight line distance and around an hour’s drive from me. Brean Theme Park in Brean Sands is 34 miles away in straight line distance and just over an hour’s drive away from me, and Barry Island Pleasure Park on Barry Island is 37 miles away in straight line distance and just over an hour’s drive away from me. Coney Beach Pleasure Park in Porthcawl also isn’t much further.

The thing is, though, that given I’m a bit more self-conscious than some when it comes to riding kiddie coasters, meaning that I don’t generally ride kiddie coasters, there’s very little I would get out of going to some of these places. Funland at the Tropicana is basically a revolving door of travelling kiddie coasters, Coney Beach Pleasure Park only seems to have kiddie coasters, and Barry Island Pleasure Park only has a Pinfari Zyklon in terms of non-kiddie coasters. I am mildly tempted by Brean once their Pinfari looper reopens, though, as they’ll have a non-kiddie +3 on offer including that coaster, including some pretty interesting rides in the form of a former Blackpool Pleasure Beach resident and a former Flamingo Land resident! Regardless, I feel like I’d be stupid not to try and tick off a non-kiddie +3 that’s just over an hour from me at some stage… I’ve just got to hope that Brean opens that Pinfari looper soon!

Last edited:
I also believe it might be Pinfaris first ever inverting coaster, if not the first it is very early, at Brean. Pre-Zyklon design.

Working it out I have about 30 UK coasters I can get which aren't Go Gators or in parks that don't allow adults.

Last edited: