• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Most Overrated and Underrated Coasters

Firstly, sorry for bumping an old thread. Secondly, my list has only 2 overrated coasters and a whole myriad of underrated coasters, so here goes.
Overrated:
Manta (SeaWorld Orlando) - I went to SeaWorld with pretty high expectations of this ride after hearing that it was really good and much better than Galactica and most other flying coasters. When I actually rode, I came off a tad disappointed. It's a very good roller coaster, don't get me wrong, but I failed to see the hype, because other than the pretzel loop, it felt incredibly similar to Galactica. It was also incredibly rattly, almost rattly enough to detract from the ride.
Dragon Challenge (both sides) (Universal's Islands of Adventure) - When I visited Universal in 2014, I rode the two Dragon Challenge coasters and thought they were OK rides, nothing more and nothing less. But when I re-rode in 2016, they were so rough and jolty, I simply didn't enjoy them. I can completely understand why people have such fond memories of them, as the rides looked incredible duelling, and I'm sure that they were much smoother back in the day. But I just wasn't a fan at all, and I'm confident that Universal will replace these rides with something better.
Underrated:
Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park) - Sure, Nemesis is better. But Nemesis Inferno is still a great B&M coaster that packs a nice punch.
Thirteen (Alton Towers) - If you view Thirteen as a family coaster and not as the psychologically mind-bending coaster that Merlin marketed it to be, it's an excellent ride. In fact, it's actually one of my favourite family coasters outside of a Disney or Universal theme park alongside Cobra's Curse.
Cobra's Curse (Busch Gardens Tampa) - Cobra's Curse really does put a new spin on family thrills. I don't often hear the ride get much praise, but I really enjoyed the ride, and I much prefer this style of spinning roller coaster to the Maurer style. Also, that queue is stunning!
Speed (Oakwood) - Speed is a really intense, snappy ride that I don't often hear get much praise. I don't find it overly rough and it's just a fantastic ride. It may be in the same park as the even more fantastic Megafobia, but don't overlook it if you visit Oakwood.
Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando) - Another ride I don't hear a lot of praise about. I didn't think it was overly rough and it felt fast. Like, REALLY fast! Definitely not one to miss if you visit SeaWorld.

It was also incredibly rattly, almost rattly enough to detract from the ride.
Really? That's interesting. Manta is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. Smoother than Galactica in fact for me and vastly more enjoyable. Maybe you had a bad ride? Anyway...

Overrated:
Incredible Hulk (IOA) - I last rode this coaster before its renovation but I was fairly underwhelmed with this ride. I still enjoyed it but I found it to be one of the weakest B&Ms I've done. I thought it was quite rough and it didn't have a great layout after the first few inversions. I'd like to ride it again to see how it compares today.

Underrated:
Th13teen (Alton Towers) - I'm going to echo what others have said - I love this ride, it's actually one of my favourite coasters at Towers. It's just a lot of fun, and the freefall is fantastic. The first drop is also great in the back seat, lots of airtime. Shame about the trims though.

Cheetah Hunt (Busch Gardens Tampa) - Doesn't get enough love. It's not intense at all but it's long, the launches are fun and has some great airtime. I like the barrel roll too, even if it feels a little out of place. It's a very complete ride, I wish it had lap bars though.

Really? That's interesting. Manta is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. Smoother than Galactica in fact for me and vastly more enjoyable. Maybe you had a bad ride?
When did you ride Manta? I rode in August 2016. For reference, I rode on an outside seat in the back row, in case Manta is a coaster where smoothness depends on what seat you sit in.

I last rode it in April 2013, so I suppose it could have gotten rattlier since then.

Shambhala.

No matter where I rode it, what time of day I rode it or how loose the restraint was when I rode it, I couldn't find this "GREATEST RIDE EVA!111!!!" attitude some bizarrely label it with. Now there's no doubting half its UK fan base are all 12-year-olds idolising our notable globe-trotting entrance host who haven't actually been on it, and that's where the problem lies. The cascade of thoughts and opinions onto an audience of brain washed numpties makes the ride sound much grander and titular than it actually is, and I was sadly underwhelmed by a country mile whilst riding, despite its merits and overall enjoyment factor.

How oddly specific lol

When I visited, I classed myself as a person who didn't rate or need airtime to enjoy a coaster, in fact it was sometimes a detriment for me. After riding Silverstar - which I just could not get on board with and thought it was quite dull and boring - I had no hopes for Shambhala and rode front row my first ride, I soon changed my opinion, I thought it was fantastic personally. It's in my top 5 as I didn't expect it to be so good. Each to there own though I guess.

Overrated

Silverstar, Europa - as mentioned, I just don't enjoy it, sorry Roland. I found it uneventful, force-less and quite drab to be honest.

Underrated

Colossus, Thorpe
- I am definitely in the minority when it comes to liking this ride but I can never understand why it get's so much hate. Yes it sounds odd and it has dire throughput and ops but as an inversion lover, it has 10 :D I also cannot fathom where it gets it's rough reputation from at all - Grand National, Ultimate, Desperado, Infusion are rough, I don't think Sussloco comes even close to any of them.

Great topic, I'll try and think of some more :cool:

Overrated

Silverstar, Europa - as mentioned, I just don't enjoy it, sorry Roland. I found it uneventful, force-less and quite drab to be honest.
Not sure how it's overrated, enthusiast opinion of it has always seemed fairly indifferent. Certainly nowhere near the hype levels surrounding Shambhala. OK Shambles is better, but I don't think there's the vast gulf in class between them really, in fact with the exception of Fury 325 (and presumably Leviathan) all B&M hypers are fairly similar - always very good, never exceptional.

I think there needs to be a distinction between "B&M Classic Hypers" like Silver Star and Behemoth, and "B&M Speed Hypers" such as Shambles and Leviathan.
I'm citing the only examples I have the pleasure of riding, but they offer a very different ride experience. With the latter type being far better in every way.