• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Movie Park 2018: Mystery River Retheme

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Exciting news! One of the most elaborate rapids rides in Europe is finally being refreshed after a few years of neglect. Movie Park will relaunch Mystery River with a King Arthur theme this season! The ride started life as the Neverending Story rapids, but this license was lost when the park was dropped by Warner Bros. in 2005. It has since been Mystery River, although has fallen into some poor state since.

You can read more here.

Excalibur_Schwert-copy.jpg

Excalibur_Merlins-Tisch-copy.jpg

Mystery River was in a bit of a mish-mash state when I rode it last year... This looks like a great revival of the ride.

The park's management have been wanting to renovate Mystery River for ages. Seems they finally wore PR down.
I am surprised such a substantial project so soon after Star Trek. I really thought that would be it for Movie Park for a while now, and then eventually they would refurb and retheme the SBNO Ice Age dark ride next to Mystery River (I imagine that will be on the cards after this).

The Mystery River fanclub filmed this great farewell video with help from the park.

They also got to take home with them the entrance sign.

Fantastic, it's clearly obvious riding it in the current state that it's a tragic shell of what was once a ride with wonderful theming.

Whilst they're at it, hopefully Ice Age falls into the path of a stray wrecking ball.

Enlighten me. Having never visited what is the issue with Ice Age? I’ve watched a POV and besides a few questionable animatronics I don’t see the issue. It appears to have better Themeing than most rides in the UK (although that probebly says more about us than anything else).

The state of Ice Age was pretty appalling in recent years - given the popular IP attached to it I'm surprised they were allowed to get away with it. The license did run out at the end of 2016 and the ride has been left SBNO. The only official word from the park is that the building will be reused and not demolished - presumably a retheme using the same boat system.

Although a few of the animatronics have been removed and were used in a couple of the park's scares mazes last year; and some of the boats from Ice Age have actually been modified and currently run in the Bermuda Triangle ride, as it's original boats were deemed beyond economical repair. There are rumours that Bermuda Triangle will be removed at the end of 2018 season - given that the attraction is allegedly in an extremely poor overall state it certainly wouldn't be very surprising, unless the park were to heavily invest in refurbishing it.

Reactions: Tim
It is shocking that so many large rides were allowed to fester at the park.

I only discovered the other day that there used to be two Bermuda boat rides that were very similar. The other one was at Sea World in Australia. I haven't ridden either of them, but I have been on the Mack water coaster that replaced the one at Sea World and I was fairly impressed with it. I gather the indoor half used the show building from Bermuda Triangle, although it was completely gutted inside. I always thought the Bermuda Triangle ride at Movie Park looked impressive, so it's a shame that I probably won't get to ride it, but hopefully they'll use the show building for something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle_(Sea_World)

Does anyone know why they got ride of the Lethal Weapon coaster after only 10 years because that looked pretty decent? I know Intamin's can be a bit hit or miss so I guess there must have been some kind of technical problems?

Does anyone know why they got ride of the Lethal Weapon coaster after only 10 years because that looked pretty decent? I know Intamin's can be a bit hit or miss so I guess there must have been some kind of technical problems?

During time period when Six Flags owned the park the coaster was poorly maintained by them. When StarParks took over the ride needed an extensive refurbishment, they looked into it but soon decided the costs involved were too much for them and went for the cheaper option of removing it for a new family area.
Had it received decent maintenance it would have been fine.