• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

My plan for Thorpe Park in the future

jlm2002

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Swarm
To be honest, to me, Thorpe Park has never really been that much of a family-orientated sort of park. They may have had rides of that caliber in the past, but it has always really made the park look kind of tacky. Alton have always done a great job when it comes to those sorts of attractions (Spinball, Th13teen, Cbeebies etc) striking a good balance so that both adrenaline junkies and families can visit the park, and they've been kept in top-notch quality. But Thorpe...they should stick to what they do best: thrills. Families are a huge draw and do add to the resort earning more cash, but I mean, come on. It is sort of apparent by now that overall, the place isn't really for young kids as it houses three horror-based IP's (Saw, Derren Brown, TWD), large coasters such as Swarm and Stealth and only really has a few smaller, gentler rides for that demographic. After all, let's remember, this isn't Gulliver's World. It's the UK's joint-first best park. The 'Island Like No Other' which makes it different to AT, Chessington, BPB etc. And to keep it in great quality...well here are a couple of ideas for the future:

For starters, this year, the park would need a general tidy-up, similar to that of Alton Towers' 'Tower Loving Care' program. They should also change the trains on Colossus and Saw, especially the latter because it's restraints lately haven't been particularly brilliant when it comes to comfort. Yesterday when I rode it I found my head banging all over the place. As for Colossus, the seats are a bit worn out and need replacing. I'd also say that this year they should probably close Colossus just to give it a repaint and also give it's station an overhaul, replacing the somewhat tired, dated looking walls with a wall of fresh mosaic-like tiles and the lights above the queue. However, to stick to it's original theme, they should make the station look like Atlantis-style ruins (cracks in the tiles, flickering light-bulbs etc). Finally, they should swap the rusty gears operating the lift hill on Tidal Wave for newer, more reliable ones to ensure it does not break down frequently as lately it has been breaking down a lot, leaving many boats stuck at the top.

The main focus this year would obviously be Project 2020, which I'd really like to be the park's first ever RMC hybrid, similar to that of Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point. I'd put this coaster in Old Town, probably on the land where currently Zombie Hunt and the outdated Western part of it stand. Therefore, we'd see the closure of The Rocky Express, Lumber Jump and Tug Boat. There wouldn't be any IP and the ride would be themed around an abandoned mine shaft. The name would probably be something along the lines of 'Trespasser' as you are entering a sectioned-off, prohibited area formerly ran by a fake company called 'Thorpe Mining Co.', there would be a high amount of emphasis on theming/special effects and a pre-show similar to that of DBGT and Wicker Man. Storm Surge closes and is either demolished or re-located to another park. Also this year, Colossus re-opens after it's one year overhaul/refurb and a second on-site hotel is built next to Thorpe Shark.

To ensure there isn't totally a park deprived of family-based rides and attractions for younger kids, Angry Birds Land (which I'd change to Angry Birds Street) gets an expansion with a smaller drop tower next to Detonator (maybe Lumber Jump, but re-themed), a smaller family coaster similar to that of Flying Fish and an interactive dark ride in the place of Storm In A Teacup, which would close to make way for it. Nemesis Inferno gets new plantation around it to make it even more jungle-esque and the volcano is repainted/restored. The park also announces an upcoming ride which would be an expansion for The Dockyard.

Adding to Thorpe's ever-growing list of horror-based attractions, The Dockyard is completed with the announcement of the addition of either an indoor Poltergeist house-themed dark ride/coaster, based on the original 1982 film, a The Ring interactive experience/horror maze or an indoor Intamin hyper coaster based on Predator or depending on the success of the upcoming film, The Predator. It would likely be the third. It would also feature live actors and the makeup used would be extremely alike to that used in the films. The pre-show would be about the ship used to signal the Predator being activated and the creature now being on the loose, hunting humans for 'sport'. Finally, this year, Saw's theming is restored and Swarm gets additional theming/smoke effects.

The long-awaited wooden RMC coaster 'Trespasser' opens late in the year. Samurai is removed and replaced with a Top Spin flat ride. The Lost City area gets additional theming to make it look even more like ancient ruins. TWD:TR's current coaster track is demolished and the ground inside the pyramid is lowered deeper to make way for a more thrilling indoor ride, with the track having bigger drops and inversions. The theming is also improved with even more references to the TV show added. Finally, Thorpe's 2nd on-site hotel opens and the park becomes a full-fledged 'resort'.

A B&M flying coaster which acts as an expansion to Swarm Island is announced, which is set to have the same apocalyptic theme as The Swarm and is classed as it's 'sister coaster'. The ride would also duel with a section of TS ensuring that both are linked to each other. The name would be 'The Rebellion' and would focus on the human rebel 'resistance' 's fight against the aliens. The Predator indoor coaster opens and the area of The Dockyard is completed. The 'Megastore' and it's toilet block closes to make way for a state-of-the-art Amityville mega shop with a restaurant and toilets attached to it. Flying Fish gets a repaint and a small family ride similar to that of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish at IOA opens next to it.

All those coasters in such a short period will never happen.

And an RMC hybrid? Hybrid of what ? They need a ride to hybrid with.

I like the ideas though would be perfect in RCT

Yeah. They'd need to be spaced out evenly, it wouldn't all just happen at once. (Tbh i wasn't really thinking about the years I was more so focusing on the rides haha)

And yes, another good spot. An RMC steel/wood hybrid coaster.

Some nice ideas but pure fantasy. For Colossus, the supports have already started to be repainted over the last closed period. I can't see the trains being replaced on the older rides unless they have to be for mechanical reasons. The investments have already been made so don't expect any new theming to happen either. I guarantee Merlin won't touch RMC after the opening day incident with Steel Vengeance.
I would love to see Storm Surge demolished, it's a complete eyesore! It is plausible we could see a hotel in the near future too.
I like your optimism, but it's far too much investment for Merlin to even consider doing in such a short timescale. It's very rare Merlin adds more theming to established ride themes.

To be honest, to me, Thorpe Park has never really been that much of a family orientated sort of park. They may have had rides of that caliber in the past, but it has always really made the park look kind of tacky. Alton have always done a great job when it comes to those sorts of attractions (Spinball, Th13teen, Cbeebies etc) striking a good balance so that both adrenaline junkies and families can visit the park, and they've been kept in top-notch quality. But Thorpe...they should stick to what they do best: thrills. Families are a huge draw and do add to the resort earning more cash, but I mean, come on. It is sort of apparent by now that overall, the place isn't really for young kids as it houses three horror-based IP's (Saw, Derren Brown, TWD), large coasters such as Swarm and Stealth and only really has a few smaller, gentler rides for that demographic. After all, let's remember, this isn't Gulliver's World. It's the UK's joint-first best park. The 'Island Like No Other' which makes it different to AT, Chessington, BPB etc. And to keep it in great quality...well here are a couple of ideas for the future:
I mean, that isn't strictly true considering that Thorpe Park was originally a family park with a model village, farm and smaller rides etc.

They don't seem to have defined a proper target market, as they've made some family investments recently (Angry Birds, IAC) whilst also reducing the rides available to families (Loggers closed, X rethemed to Walking Dead etc).

I mean, that isn't strictly true considering that Thorpe Park was originally a family park with a model village, farm and smaller rides etc.

They don't seem to have defined a proper target market, as they've made some family investments recently (Angry Birds, IAC) whilst also reducing the rides available to families (Loggers closed, X rethemed to Walking Dead etc).

Yeah, I know that they had a couple of years as a family park, but since the late 90's, the park has really changed that image. I'd like them to continue down this road, as I think it's what they're good at doing. Not every park has to be family-orientated or return to their old style. I know as of current their market isn't fully focused, but if I were them, I'd focus on appealing to the thrill-seekers, rather than the families. Alton Towers has always been the best theme park for all the family in the UK, while Thorpe has always been the best theme park for the thrill-junkies in the UK.

I mean that to me personally, Thorpe hasn't really been that sort of a park. I know that before Colossus' installation, the park did cater mainly towards that audience. Considering I was born at the beginning of the 2000's, I didn't get to experience the place when it was like that. It would have been cool to to see how different it was, but even still, it kind of looks tacky looking at pictures of it. Compare this to Alton, which around that time were building attractions that looked far superior. And I'm not just talking the coasters, I'm also referring to Toyland Tours, which looked like a magical family ride and The Haunted House, which looked like a very cool dark ride. Yes, I didn't get to experience these, either, but I'd much rather go to ride those than the rides that Thorpe had around that time:)

Last edited: