• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Neil Armstrong - RIP

DiogoJ42 said:
Actually, I've not seen it, though it is on my "get round to it" list. The theories came long before the film though.
Well don't rush, it's not great. :p

Apollo 18 is a good film to watch with someone gullible enough to believe it. :p It's an okay film, nothing overly exciting - but good for what it is.

Going back to what might have happened during the lost 2 minutes on Apollo 11. I doubt they ever discovered Aliens. I doubt they found ruins either, something like that would be discovered too easily with the different countries that have landed on the moon. However I believe they saw something on the moon, something that NASA and any associated governments want to cover and hide from the public. So what could it be? The most popular theory is spaceships, but that sounds all too sci-fi to me, as I think events would have played out more dramatically otherwise.

Other possibilities though could have been a matter of them seeing figures looking at them, a bit like when in the dark objects can appear like humans or life-like beings - it seems like the most likely thing that could have happened. You can easily misinterpret things in the darkness. They may have even found a dead alien body or dead human (sorry, that's all a bit Apollo 18 now). But then I would guess something like that would be easily found out.

Dead human seems another theory that's slightly likely though - even though there are no manned accounts of the Soviet Union landing on the moon, they did make a few successful unmanned landings on the moon before NASA - could have they covered up a secret manned landing before Apollo 11 that may have turned wrong and resulted in a dead crew on the moon? I know it's a bit far-fetched, although I would never rule that out.

In summary though, will we ever know what happened during though two precious minutes? Simply, no. It could have just been problems with the cameras (even though I'm convinced it's a cover-up, you do not spend that amount of money only to have cameras fail for two minutes) or NASA could indeed be covering something up. But if hiding something is the true answer, it must be something big enough to have been kept so secretive the past 40 years.

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it's an interesting theory to ponder. You mention the Soviet missions. Could it be that they found one of the Russian probes, and were investigating the technology of the competition?

On the subject of space conspiracies and Russia, have you heard the (very plausible when you think about it) idea that Gagarin was NOT the first man in space... he was simply the first one to make it back alive? The Soviet Union were very secretive about their space program, and didn't even make any announcement about the mission till Gagarin was safely back on earth. Given how dangerous space flight is, and that it was all untested at the time, it seems reasonable that at least one (some reports say two or three) attempt(s) could have been made before they got it right.

Although Apollo 18 is dramatic from start to almost the end (the ending being what spoiled it for me) and the way it's filmed and the props being convincing, I found the way in which they had been left there to die as some sort of experiment to be quite insulting to the people at Nasa and the many brave astronauts, like Neil Armstrong, that risked their lives to take mankind further than we've ever been before.

As for aliens on the moon, I doubt it. Besides the fact that there's a lot materials that we could one day potentially mine up there, it's a hostile environment and probably quite a boring place to be. If I were able to travel all over the galaxy, I wouldn't chose the moon. :p

Oh yes, it certainly is an interesting theory. I remember reading an article that threw out a theory that an alien was found on the moon and brought back to earth!

The idea of them finding a Russian probe is interesting. However for the two minutes transmission was lost I doubt much could have been done within that time span. If/when you watch Apollo 18, the idea of a Russian probe being found on the moon is touched upon (I know the film is factitious, although the writers of the film clearly wanted to explore a few theories and produce them).

Ah yes, the Lost/Phantom Cosmonauts. I've looked a little at those conspiracies. I believe there's a few dedicated books surrounding the lost cosmonauts too. I believe it's highly likely others have been in space before him. The Soviet Union certainly wouldn't want it known that people have died/been lost travelling into space.

Pyramids on the moon, just saying :)

Its a shame that Neil Armstrong has died though and he will be sorely missed.

Now don't be daft Joelio.Everyone knows it's Mars where the pyramids are. ;)

Diogo, you might like this! :p

According to a strange website, this is part of the "censored conversation" that took place shortly after Apollo 11's Armstrong and Aldrin stood on the surface of the Moon for the first time:
NASA: “What’s there? Mission Control calling Apollo 11…”

APOLLO: “These ‘Babies’ are huge, Sir! Enormous! Oh my God! You wouldn’t believe it! I’m telling you there are other spacecraft out there, lined up on the far side of the crater edge! They’re on the Moon watching us!”

I'd love that to be true. That scenario reminds me of an old drive-in cinema; a load of aliens sat in their spaceships, laughing at mankind as they stumble out of a dodgy tin can onto a different rock to the one we live on for the first ever time, or like watching a baby take it's first steps. Haha, oh dear! :p

BigAl said:
That scenario reminds me of an old drive-in cinema; a load of aliens sat in their spaceships, laughing at mankind as they stumble out of a dodgy tin can onto a different rock to the one we live on for the first ever time, or like watching a baby take it's first steps.

LOL! But probably not that far off the truth. Hell, if you believe in the tripe that Erich Von Daniken spouts, then it could well have been our "parents" watching their offspring taking their first steps. :p