• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
What and have Galactica, Nemesis AND The Blade all closed for the season? There’s absolutely no chance.

As indicated - AIR would remain open as would RCR

To me it seems sensible - FV needs restructuring - what better time to do it than building a new ride / refurbishing an existing one.

May as well keep the whole area shut. Who would travel all the way over to FV just to ride Galactica. If Nemesis wasn't open, I don't think I'd go on Galactica once in the season. The only reason I ride it fairly often is down to the fact its next to Nemesis so I may as well go on it while I'm there
I would, because I'm not the biggest Nemesis fan and have ridden Galactica plenty without going on Nemesis.

Yeah, NST activity is most likely Scarefest related as they store a load of stuff in there and is/was a scaremaze. People read so far into stuff.

With regard to the fourth paragraph; why do you think these compromises were made, as opposed to continuing with the "no expense spared" approach, and do you think that Alton/the UK may have "topped" Nemesis by now had our parks continued with the same approach? I dare say that Nemesis could have been easily "topped" within the UK by now had the same design philosophy been reused in future investments; coasters abroad arguably prove that Nemesis is, by modern standards, quite a "beatable" rollercoaster, but we're yet to pull that feat off in the UK for whatever reason.

The UK is the country of compromise. It's likely commercial reasons. Nemesis could easily be topped but it would need ingenuity, creativity, money and planning permission. UK planning laws dictate that you can't just build whatever you like here like you can in some other countries and the only park operators in the UK with the money and space to build something like it again are Merlin who don't like spending money unless every penny is guaranteed to be wasted. The Swarm is a good example where they were on to something with a unique ride type to the UK, a good theme and a decent layout but only ended up building half a coaster most likely because a decent length one would've cost too much.

For all I know, there could be no demand for a world class coaster in the UK. It's hard to tell when one single operator runs every "major" park in the country. Perhaps this also tells us it's not a country to build top tier parks and coasters?

The UK is the country of compromise. It's likely commercial reasons. Nemesis could easily be topped but it would need ingenuity, creativity, money and planning permission. UK planning laws dictate that you can't just build whatever you like here like you can in some other countries and the only park operators in the UK with the money and space to build something like it again are Merlin who don't like spending money unless every penny is guaranteed to be wasted. The Swarm is a good example where they were on to something with a unique ride type to the UK, a good theme and a decent layout but only ended up building half a coaster most likely because a decent length one would've cost too much.

For all I know, there could be no demand for a world class coaster in the UK. It's hard to tell when one single operator runs every "major" park in the country. Perhaps this also tells us it's not a country to build top tier parks and coasters?

The thing is with it population numbers we Can sustain 3 or 4 good parks - the problem is they are all owned by the same group

The thing is, we can sustain more. The Cardiff/Newport/Swansea area is ripe, as is the area between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The question is, would any new park support an outstanding Nemesis beater? Yes, if done right. An insane RMC or a good hyper/mega could do the trick etc. Nemesis is great though, even outside the UK biased view it is well liked outside the UK.

I absolutely think Nemesis could be “beaten” as the reigning UK champion among enthusiasts at the right park with the right planning restrictions.

If you look at international roller coaster polls done by enthusiasts, there are often a fair few coasters, especially modern ones, ahead of Nemesis, so “beating” it is clearly a feat that can be quite easily attained with modern roller coaster technology, but it’s a feat no park in the UK has currently achieved, for some reason, in spite of parks often using the very hardware that’s built some of the highly acclaimed foreign coasters (for instance, the Mack mega coaster hardware built the likes of Helix, which is almost universally loved and ranked ahead of Nemesis by most who’ve ridden it, but Icon has seemingly been unable to top Nemesis. For me, it’s my favourite UK coaster, but I know I’m in a minority there; the overwhelming consensus is that Icon certainly isn’t a Nemesis beater, despite similar rides abroad arguably being able to beat Nemesis.).

As much as I love nemesis there is definitely the potential to beat it in the UK. Something like a well done B&M hyper could beat it but no park has the money, drive or planning restrictions to build it.
Alton has they money and has it's drive again but just can't build that high. Thorpe has the restrictions and possibly the money if Merlin are willing to hand it over but not the drive.
The UK theme park industry is not that active as there isn't enough competition. If Merlin had split up nemesis would have already been beaten. We are seeing some competition rising in the kids/family market with Paultons but they aren't going to go out and build something that'll top nemesis anytime soon are they? It will get topped eventually I just don't know when or who would build it.

If you look at international roller coaster polls done by enthusiasts, there are often a fair few coasters, especially modern ones, ahead of Nemesis, so “beating” it is clearly a feat that can be quite easily attained with modern roller coaster technology, but it’s a feat no park in the UK has currently achieved, for some reason, in spite of parks often using the very hardware that’s built some of the highly acclaimed foreign coasters (for instance, the Mack mega coaster hardware built the likes of Helix, which is almost universally loved and ranked ahead of Nemesis by most who’ve ridden it, but Icon has seemingly been unable to top Nemesis. For me, it’s my favourite UK coaster, but I know I’m in a minority there; the overwhelming consensus is that Icon certainly isn’t a Nemesis beater, despite similar rides abroad arguably being able to beat Nemesis.).

Icon is actually my favourite UK coaster too. But when I talk about "topping" Nemesis, I'm not on about the building of a better coaster which indeed could be achieved quite easily. I'm on about building a coaster of the same status. Nemesis was one of the finest coasters in the world for years, no UK coaster has ever had the same prestige. You could build a better coaster tomorrow, but the world has moved on and the UK Theme park industry hasn't.

I think there is an element of Merlin holding back the industry in the UK. With a near monopoly, they are the ones that set the height of the bar. But then I don't see other players queuing up with bags of cash willing to invest in the UK. That farcical pipe dream in Kent doesn't count as it's not real. You have to ask yourself why that is. Weather? Brits obsession with going abroad rather than holidaying at home? Planning restrictions? The price of land?

Probably all of the above for me. I'm not at all confident the UK will ever see a world class coaster or theme park ever again. It's just not how we roll here. Even if someone was to find a large brownfield site, it'll still cost a fortune to buy and be tied with stricter planning restrictions than most other countries you could build in. If you can look past that then you'd also have to ask yourself if there's a captive enough market for it. In existing parks, we know it's expensive to do at Towers and Merlin seem to have no appetite for it. Chessington and Thorpe, why would you bother? No room at Blackpool. The likes of Paultons, Oakwood, Flamingo etc probably can't afford one.

I meant younger as in early teens, when I was just getting into the hobby (I’m 18 now).
I am in a similar position in that I no longer feel like a young enthusiast despite being about the same age as @Matt N I think you change the most in your teens and I like very little that I used to like in my early teens. My opinions on ride have changed as they have aged even though I haven't been riding them that long.

I am in a similar position in that I no longer feel like a young enthusiast despite being about the same age as @Matt N I think you change the most in your teens and I like very little that I used to like in my early teens. My opinions on ride have changed as they have aged even though I haven't been riding them that long.
I certainly agree; I think my tastes have certainly changed since I first started this hobby. When I started this hobby, I was in it for intense coasters, but these days, I’ve grown to love the more fun and rerideable coasters over the out and out intense ones, and I actually think that too much intensity can be detrimental to a ride.

Also, I certainly agree with your teens being where your opinions change the most; I think puberty can change one’s perspective on just about anything…

A <£8 mil Vekoma or RMC Raptor could beat Nemesis tbh. Parks over here seem to spend over the odds for average coasters.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.