• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis Reborn: General Discussion

Home from a visit today, and it was lovely to have walk-on rides on Nemesis all throughout the day.
Couple of things I wanted to bring up and discuss;
I didn't manage to get a picture, but on some sections of the track, the black paint is flaking away. This is mainly visible on the final corkscrew when your sitting in the train on the brake run, waiting to go back into the station.
It's not just confined to the areas where the wheels are in contact with the track either, and you can see the grey primer beneath.
If this progresses, it would looks quite unsightly, and cause damage to the details. I'm sure that staff are aware, and I would hope it's being addressed.

The rattle, I know it's probably been done to death, but it's still there, and I worry about the long term ramifications of this. Surely it should not be so hard to find and address the cause, no?

Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed this, apologies if it has been brought up before, but I noticed this (image) and it looks fairly new, a piece of concrete to control the direction of flow of a waterfall, perhaps?

Last edited:
Home from a visit today, and it was lovely to have walk-on rides on Nemesis all throughout the day.
Couple of things I wanted to bring up and discuss;
I didn't manage to get a picture, but on some sections of the track, the black paint is flaking away. This is mainly visible on the final corkscrew when your sitting in the train on the brake run, waiting to go back into the station.
It's not just confined to the areas where the wheels are in contact with the track either, and you can see the grey primer beneath.
If this progresses, it would looks quite unsightly, and cause damage to the details. I'm sure that staff are aware, and I would hope it's being addressed.

The rattle, I know it's probably been done to death, but it's still there, and I worry about the long term ramifications of this. Surely it should not be so hard to find and address the cause, no?

Also, not sure if anyone else has noticed this, apologies if it has been brought up before, but I noticed this (image) and it looks fairly new, a piece of concrete to control the direction of flow of a waterfall, perhaps?

It's worrying that the black paint is already flaking. The track colour will probably be relatively hard to maintain.

It's worrying that the black paint is already flaking. The track colour will probably be relatively hard to maintain.
Yes it was alarming to see. I would hope there is some sort of warranty with it, but I wonder if the hand painted details would void that?

Also, as it was raining most of yesterday, the exit ramp was very slippery, and I saw 2 people go down quite badly.
It's made of that steel checker/diamond plated stuff. It really needs covering with black grip tape. The "Wet Floor" sign they stuck out, tells me it won't be sufficient to absolve them of any potential injury claims from unscrupulous guests.

Yes it was alarming to see. I would hope there is some sort of warranty with it, but I wonder if the hand painted details would void that?
Logically no as no hand painting took place on running rails, but knowing how some companies try to worm their way out of warranties I wouldn't be surprised if this did void it!

I suspect there is some clause written into the warranty/contract that says a certain amount of paint flaking on running rails during the first few weeks of operation is normal.

Regarding the peeling paint and the rattle...could it be that honestly B&M are at fault here and not Towers/Merlin as we automatically do all the time when things go wrong?

Given how rattle issues have have been reported on newer B&M models, some being rougher than usual (Incredible Hulk after it's retrack comes to mind) and now this peeling paint issue which is from the factory and not from the park, is it that B&M have seen their standards slip considerably over the last few years?

If so, it is a sorry decline for that company as a whole and seriously need to pick themselves up or else they could be in trouble.

Regarding the peeling paint and the rattle...could it be that honestly B&M are at fault here and not Towers/Merlin as we automatically do all the time when things go wrong?

Given how rattle issues have have been reported on newer B&M models, some being rougher than usual (Incredible Hulk after it's retrack comes to mind) and now this peeling paint issue which is from the factory and not from the park, is it that B&M have seen their standards slip considerably over the last few years?

If so, it is a sorry decline for that company as a whole and seriously need to pick themselves up or else they could be in trouble.
Agreed.
I never thought that this issue was due to Merlin. In fact it was one of my biggest worries when I heard about the retrace work taking place as I had heard about the rattle that Banshee at Kings Island has, and I was worried the same might happen here.
Then I reassured myself that this isn't technically a new coster, so should not be a problem, as I suspected the issue might be down to CAD and the profiling of the track, new style trains etc.
Lo and behold, my fears were realised.

If I were management at Merlin, I would be having some serious discussions with B&M about resolving this and considering legal action if it wasn't put right.
I would hope that something akin to this is happening behind the scenes as Merlin have acknowledged this issue and been seen taking steps to try and resolve it.

I have seen some comments flying around that this was anise on The Swarm when it first opened, and that it has since disappeared. Is this correct? I did ride it in 2012, but haven't been since then, so I can't remember how it rode, and don't have a newer experience to compare it.

Agreed.
I never thought that this issue was due to Merlin. In fact it was one of my biggest worries when I heard about the retrace work taking place as I had heard about the rattle that Banshee at Kings Island has, and I was worried the same might happen here.
Then I reassured myself that this isn't technically a new coster, so should not be a problem, as I suspected the issue might be down to CAD and the profiling of the track, new style trains etc.
Lo and behold, my fears were realised.

If I were management at Merlin, I would be having some serious discussions with B&M about resolving this and considering legal action if it wasn't put right.
I would hope that something akin to this is happening behind the scenes as Merlin have acknowledged this issue and been seen taking steps to try and resolve it.

I have seen some comments flying around that this was anise on The Swarm when it first opened, and that it has since disappeared. Is this correct? I did ride it in 2012, but haven't been since then, so I can't remember how it rode, and don't have a newer experience to compare it.

They may come back and say “well… you kept the old trains when we said you shouldn’t have”. Do you know if Hulk has new trains as well?

The track is manufactured by the same company they have always used. I assume the track is exact. As there is a difference between the two trains I can only assume the problem lies there.

If not, then yes, I would be going back to B & M and having them sort it.

They may come back and say “well… you kept the old trains when we said you shouldn’t have”. Do you know if Hulk has new trains as well?

The track is manufactured by the same company they have always used. I assume the track is exact. As there is a difference between the two trains I can only assume the problem lies there.

If not, then yes, I would be going back to B & M and having them sort it.
Hulk's trains were brand new as far as I am aware. One of the old ones was used for theming at the ride entrance.

Hopefully if the complaints continue to be voiced, then maybe a fix is already being sought and we just don't know about it yet. But I won't hold my breath.

I do wonder if it has anything to do with the sand in the track altering the way it absorbs vibrations. Since there's no space in the track any more, perhaps the vibrations are somehow directed back into the trains, resulting in this juddering?

Last edited:
I assume the original Nemesis track was made in Europe, as was the case before they moved all their track manufacturing to the states. That and passage of time probably means the same profile track isn’t made in exactly the same way as it was.

I’ve not made it to AT so far this year - is the rattle something you feel or more just something you hear? I never thought original Nemesis was rough but I did think it used to rattle, something you can hear if listening carefully on POVs such as (
). Could some of the more noticeable rattle be just because the track is quieter and, therefore, it’s not drowned out by the roar as much as it was on the original ride?

Could some of the more noticeable rattle be just because the track is quieter and, therefore, it’s not drowned out by the roar as much as it was on the original ride?
I'd say no. The original roar wasn't that pronounced on the sections of track where the current rattle is the loudest. If it was always there, it wouldn't be as pronounced as now, but you'd definitely know it. It's possible that there was some light rattling on old Nemesis, in fact there was in places. But where the sound comes from is very close to your head.I

t's not just audible either. You can feel very mild but rapid vibrations. Hence why the word "rough" is not an appropriate term to describe it. It's also not present at all in the first half of the ride. In fact, it's incredibly smooth and refined for the first half. I don't think it's too much to be worried about as it's still only a few weeks old. It's just intriguing as to what could be causing it?

Ah ok! Very odd, you’d assume it was more likely to be something on the trains but it seems unlikely if the first (and more intense) half is running very smoothly. Something more to do with the finish on the running rails, or tiny misalignment in the track somewhere? I guess there are a lot of different parameters to check!

I had thought maybe they are running harder compounds of wheel, as it’s new, to prevent it being slower than the old ride, with the knock on effect of it being rougher (or feeling imperfections more). Maybe when it beds in a bit and speeds up, a softer compound can be used and the rattle will lessen.

Last edited:
I think Wicker Man is pretty well-rounded myself, with lots of nice details throughout the queue and station area. Admittedly, there’s not too much on the ride itself aside from the principal wicker man structure, but I think that does enough of the heavy lifting for that not to matter too much.

Despite the comments in this thread, I also think Nemesis Reborn is a very well-rounded experience. Yes, you have the big monster and the eye in the middle, but there’s plenty of stuff aside from that; you have some really nice props around the ride, like the helicopter and the bus, and you also have some nice bits in the queue, like the gun (which I have to say looks vastly improved now they’ve added the new details to it), some of the new little bits they’ve been putting in there, the Phalanx lab, the bits of track… I think they’ve done a really nice job with it overall! Yes, the queue presentation is a little bit rough around the edges in parts, and there are certain things I think they could have improved (for instance, the black ride area fencing could have been made a little more interesting, in my view), but all in all, I think they’ve done a very good, well-rounded job with Nemesis Reborn, and certainly not just centred focus to the primary structure.

Perhaps controversially, I much prefer the current look and feel of Nemesis and the wider area to the look and feel of the original, or the original circa 2022 at least. Granted, I never did the original when it was new, but I certainly don’t think original Nemesis as I did it was as well-rounded in terms of presentation and theming as Nemesis Reborn is. The queue is much more well-themed than that of the original (albeit the lack of queueing under the ride that the original had is a loss), there’s a lot more energy, kinetics and storytelling in the new area than there was in the original, the principal monster structure of Nemesis Reborn is stronger than that of the original and I think the area overall feels a bit more cohesive.
While I am a big fan of the theming, the track is something I actually prefer on the original ride. It seems a lot less in-your-face and as I am reading in newer posts, has started chipping.

The Wicker Man to me is great. I am a very big fan of the pre-ride show and wish more rides offered this!

I've just come off Nemesis, and it was amazing. It was just as intense through the helix as it was before. There was a moderate rattle, but it actually added to the intensity of the ride.

First time I’ve ridden at the front, and, the rattle is audibly more louder than my rides at the back that I had on opening week.

No idea which train it was, but yeah, concerning.

Ride quality was fine but surely the train shouldn’t be making that much noise.

Did Nemesis not get new trains (I thought it did) interview on ITV did say "some bits" of the old trains were going to be re-used (probably as spare parts).

With the magnetic section at the start of Nemesis brakes now, the old trains would have needed retro-fitting with magnetic fins. Not impossible, but they have to be aligned very accurately to make the magnetic brake effective.

This is an example of flaking that I took at the end of March... albeit on the rail, but you get the idea.

1000003016.jpg

Today though... I don't know what they've done but it felt like it was flying around the track, and the dip after the zero-g roll into the pit (before the stall turn) sounded noticeably louder and more roary than the last few weekends, at least to me? "Proper" Nemesis just like I remember.

Probably all in my head.