• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis Vs The Smiler

Which do you prefer

• Cant Choose Between Them

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • The Smiler

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

JB1985

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Oblivion
Hi!
So now The Smiler has had some time to bed in and a lot of people have now ridden the ride, I just wondered, which ride do people prefer and why?

I am really torn, I love Nemesis, the ride is great, the music, the roar, the setting BUT, and I cant explain why, the whole package of The Smiler is fantastic. If I had to choose, I dont think I could split them. Both are true world class rides.

Nemesis.

Easily for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan said:
Nemesis.

Easily for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

See, following construction I would have said the same, but since seeing The Smiler and riding it, I generally cant choose.

I tend to base my decision on how long I would queue for a ride. In 1994 I queued 4 hours for Nemesis, and was not disappointed. 3 1/2 for The Smiler, know disappointment. 2 1/2 for AIR, disappointed. Would I still queue 3 hours for Nemesis. Yes.Would i for The Smiler, yes. For AIR, no, anything over 30 mins and i dont bother.

I have a feeling I'll be the only one saying this, but I prefer The Smiler to Nemesis.

The reason being that The Smiler is one of the most interesting rides I've ever been on. It constantly hits you with inversions and drops with only the rest before the second lift hill as a break. It's not as intense as Nemesis, and it's not as terrifying as Oblivion. It does its own thing, and does it very well.

That being said, it doesn't take anything away from Nemesis. If intensity is your thing, Nemesis is far and away your best choice. I like to think each major coaster offers their own unique thing, and has their own place in the park without showing the others up.

In short: Nemesis is more intense, but I feel The Smiler offers more - and that's why I prefer it.

Nemesis by a fair bit.

Done Smiler twice and first time it bashed my face, second time it did my already damaged neck from Download. However, if it improves with age, it will be a good ride.

I cannot believe this topic even exists. That's it, I'm quitting the internet.

Smiler is a great ride, the first time the have built a complete package of a coaster since Oblivion but it doesn't beat Nemesis. It wont age as well as the beast and it has some weak spots in its theming (i also get the feeling its theming will age quickly.

Still a bloody good ride though and it's certainly got the GP talking, the park has been heaving ever since it opened.

Its got to be nemesis

Who ever said the smiler have you been on nemesis

DiogoJ42 said:
I cannot believe this topic even exists. That's it, I'm quitting the internet.

I was wondering when a topic like this would crop up... :p

Anyway, Nemesis for me simply cause I have a feeling that the Smiler is not gonna age that well within the next couple of years. Not saying the Smiler is bad as I do enjoy the ride, just Nemesis is amazing in general!

Totally agree with the above. Nemesis for the coaster (and setting ) but the smiler feels a more complete experience. It really is so much more than a coaster IMO.

I think its way too early to call...

People have been riding Nemesis for nearly 20 years and its reputation as a coaster is pretty much concreted in time. I've had OUTSTANDING rides on Nemmy where I have gone round proclaiming that Wardley is a God, but i've also had some mediocre rides that have made me reconsider whether it really lives up to its reputation. Obviously through multiple rides upwards of 100 times for many of us, we all know what to expect but also know exactly when and where to ride for the best experience.

With the Smiler, i've ridden twice. Both rides were fantastic and certainly blew me away as much as an average Nemesis ride, but I still wouldn't say it has topped my best ever Nemmy rides. Not to mention seeing its new, part of the enjoyment could have been a novelty factor, so how exciting (as well as smooth) will it be once this novelty has worn off? I seriously doubt it will be as good as Nemesis is now in 20 years time, but time will tell :)

Could appreciate why people think Smiler is as good (or better) than Nemesis after riding it on front row earlier this week.

Then I rode Nemesis front row, and reminded myself that there is just no contest. That inversion over Nemesis station beats anything else.

I'm answering this based on how I feel about both rides now, rather than how I might feel in a couple of years.

I love Nemesis, but I love The Smiler more! I've ridden it 7 times now, and have tried all 4 rows. It's been better every time I've ridden it IMO. I love the front row, but I tried the back row yesterday and thought it felt like a completely different ride! Yes, it may be a bit rougher, but it also felt more intense, faster, just generally loved it! Every time I leave the park I can't wait to ride it again.

I really do love Nemmy, but at the moment The Smiler has the edge for me.

On a side note, yesterday morning when I was still drunk from the night before, I rode Nemmy in ERT. On the brake run I was nosying into the maintenance shed (full of wine-induced fascination lol) and spotted a plastic box marked "scrap metal". Made me laugh so much, as though bits of the ride fall off and they just shrug and chuck them in the box :D

I don't think many B&M inverts for me would rank below The Smiler. I love them, even the lesser rated ones!

Methinks some people are suffering from new ride fever. Give it a year, and Smiler's Gerstache will make it unridable.

New ride fever and old ride boredom. Last year I went on nemesis so many times it really didn't do anything for me.

Since attempting to go less this year, and each time only going on nemesis a couple times, I'm starting to get the buzz back.

Still haven't been on smiler, but looks better from a queue perspective, can't say anything about ride yet.

GaryH said:
The queue is horrendous! Honest..... its hell down there lol!

It's not a great queue but its not hell, if you want hell try the queues at portaventura. Rita is also much much worse.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.