• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Member Expectation - Respect for the wider community

Joel

TS Technical Admin
Favourite Ride
Closed season on TST
Hi folks,

As you know we've recently been celebrating our first full year as one of the leading Alton Towers communities, and I think everyone has been genuinely surprised by how succesfull it has been, and how supportive our loyal members have been also.

From time to time, of course the team take stock of everything going on, and how we're doing generally as a community and site to ensure that we remain faithful to our cause and motto - to be a open, honest, fun, friendly and welcoming community unlike any other.

We think we've done pretty well at accomplishing this and trying to live it as best possible. There have been bumps along the way, and the team now feel its perhaps best to try and address one of those bumps that has frequented us a few times now to ensure the best for the community.

So we're adding a new "expectation" (we don't like calling them rules, but they are our expectations for how we believe a community can be at its best) - and although it is very similar to one of the existing ones, it is directly to address one of those bumps we mentioned.

That new expectation is 'Respect for the wider community'. As you know, we already have 'Respect for members' which addresses our expectations for behaviour towards other fellow members, but now we are extending that further to include the 'wider community' also to ensure that we remain a friendly and welcoming community, and not harbour any untoward behaviour towards others.

So what are we asking of you? We are now asking our members and supporters to be courteous and respectful towards other communities and the wider public. That is - we're not asking you to like or be supportive of other communities, because we know that everyone can't like everything! But we are asking you not to be disrespectful, defamatory, incite hatred or ridicule other communities and its members. Obviously 'respectful' and 'courteous' extend to many things, and that's why we term it so - we would like you to treat other communities and members the same way you'd like to be treated by them, put simply.

Naturally there will always be criticism and discussion around other communities, events and members, and we're not forbidding that - but we just ask for it to remain courteous and respectful discussion - they are all fans as we are, and all share one common passion after all!

Obviously it is no secret to many that of course TowersStreet is a splinter of TowersTimes after an event a little over a year ago that caused the team to quit their positions on TT. We're not denying that, or trying to placate it at all, and we know many people still feel passionately towards it also, which we're not trying to diminish here. However, we do ask that you consider any such criticisms or discussion as constructive as the team is moving forward and turning a leaf over our history and past.

Of course these changes mean that we will speak to members when we feel that they aren't being respectful and courteous towards other communities, and naturally any such continued behaviour may result in sanctions defined in our Member Expectations as usual.

Lastly, we know that this new expectation might seem obvious or perhaps a little of a surprise to some that we need to state it - but as I said previously, we do listen to what people tell us about our community and take feedback on board, and this is in response to that feedback we have heard, and supports our ethics and goal too.

Thanks for your continued support of the community, and we hope this continues to support our friendly and welcoming community too!

Nb. You can see our revised Member Expectations at: http://www.towersstreet.com/about/member-expectations/#respectcommunities

The TowersStreet Team

Where do I sign this in agreement? :p

All I shall say is I'm glad that it is clear what the team expects of us. Top work team!

So basically criticizing other people is now banned on here?

It's your website and you can run it however you want to, don't get me wrong, but I'd hardly call forcing everyone to "act nice" is being very open or honest. I'm sorry, but in my opinion this is just being too heavy handed.

Just giving my honest feedback. :)

Adam said:

It's your website and you can run it however you want to, don't get me wrong, but I'd hardly call forcing everyone to "act nice" is being very open or honest. I'm sorry, but in my opinion this is just being too heavy handed.

From Joel's post

Joel said:
Naturally there will always be criticism and discussion around other communities, events and members, and we're not forbidding that - but we just ask for it to remain courteous and respectful discussion - they are all fans as we are, and all share one common passion after all!

The team are hardly going to come round your house with a baseball bat a force you to act nice. They're are merely saying that going over the top to make fun or to slander another site is not acceptable. Joel as said that people can have their own views and they won't stop you from making comments so long as they aren't deemed too offensive. I really don't get why people get so wound up when its clear the team won't be too heavy handed with this unless they have to. Its the same with the team removing stuff at AT's request. They won't do anything unless they deem it absolutely necessary, but hey that topic got locked so lets move on...

No, absolutely not - we said criticism is fine, but it needs to be constructive, and not through the art of being sly, ridiculing or being malevolent towards others (perhaps more colloquially known as being "bitchy").

We're not stopping anyone from having opinions, and we're not stopping you from expressing them. We're just asking you to express your opinions respectfully and constructively to prevent the perception that TowersStreet is a community that is bitc.. er...spiteful... ;) about all others without reason other than the fact they are not TowersStreet (which it sometimes feels like it is!)

We're not going to start removing comments left right and centre too - but it does empower us with an ability to deal with problem cases that really go too far and give the site a bad reputation. It is a fix to deal with the 1% of issues that really need it, not a fix to make the lives of the 99% hell, if that makes more sense :)

As always though, we do welcome feedback, and I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Clarity is always welcome. Especially when it comes to defining the limits of power ;)

DiogoJ42 said:
Clarity is always welcome. Especially when it comes to defining the limits of power ;)

There is no limit when it comes to you Diogo ;)

Power is only a good thing when it's mine. YOUR power is not something I would turn my back on. I've already made that mistake once. ;)

Adam said:

I think you can still comment on other groups or people that are being stupid or acting in an idiotic mannor. But I don't think the team want you just calling them idiots.

Got to be a bit more imaginative with your insults.

I think this is a good thing.
I've seen some posts on here directly targeting some people which are offensive, bitchy and rude, regardless of opinions on said people.
These kind of posts don't really reflect very well on the community as a whole, even though they are posts by individuals.
I think we are all able to get our points across without being really offensive about individuals.

What is it everyone finds so bad about getting mad? Showing emotion? Get angry and passionate about something?

No I dont post on here but still read from time to time, seems its gone of the liberal deep end with this im afraid. Sometimes youve just got to let people slang it out and things arent pretty. Im afraid like in life courteous just doesnt cut it when you have to deal with people with irrational views or in a heated debate. I think sometimes people need to be told theyre full of crap but I guess with this new...."guideline", that wouldnt be me being courteous... Is this really needed and couldnt things be dealt with on a case by case basis?

Dont be afraid to get mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA60kLwgvYo#

Obviously I dont have my finger on the pulse with discussion on here and having re read the first post again perhaps this is to do with something I have no idea about (and it seems it does) but alas if its meant for wider discussion theres my 2 cents.

I think a bit of common needs to be used when posting. If it is used, all will be well :)

What follows is my personal opinion and not necessarily that of the team.

I don't get the argument that asking people not to be rude in anyway restricts freedom of speech ect. Everyone who posts here has a vocabulary to debate and disagree even passionately without resorting to rudeness.

I know From my own perspective when I see others moaning about TowersStreet (and as much as some like to pretend otherwise it happens on other sites) if they go with loads of petty insults I just ignore it as I don't respect that and frankly couldnt give a monkeys what they think. If someone disagrees with TS (or myself) and puts the point across well (even if passionately) I may not agree but I will actually read and if done on our forums respond.

That's my thoughts on it anyway

Utmost respect to the team for enforcing this 'expectation'.

There is no doubt that we/us/the site get slated by most other sites, and this news really does show just how dedicated, honest and decent the people are who run it & make it a friendly place for us all to enjoy.

This really does show what TS is all about. It's not about fighting to become the biggest site, having the most members, 'exclusive news' that is just fiction, slating other sites & this is why TS actually succeeds as a community, especially considering the alternatives.

(Perhaps being slightly hypocritical regarding the 'exclusive news' but I mention no names and point no finger)

I actually just want to say that this website is nowhere as bad as a lot of places. You look at anything on the internet that has a comments button. Its just a haven of hatred. Nice to see people actually making a stand on this.