• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Shrek and friends Merlin Attraction for County Hall London

Looking at the T&Cs of the new Merlin annual passes, standard passes won't gain entry at all and premium only from 1st September. If it opens on time that is!! Good confidence there Merlin!
Will a premium pass purchased before the updated Ts & Cs be able to gain access to the new Shrek attraction before September, or does that rule now apply to both new and existing passes? I probably won't bother with it as I've never taken any interest in Shrek, but it'd be nice to have the option as a couple of members in my family don't mind it.

I was thinking about this and the planned attraction at Towers whilst watching the second film the other night and it got me thinking, does anyone actually like Shrek anymore? I'd say this; the first film is decent, and the second film is a case of an even better sequel. But apart from that, is there anything significant about the franchise anymore? The 3rd film was bad, and I've heard the 4th one was awful (but I haven't seen it). The TV Tropes page Deader Than Disco explains it better than I do:

• The popularity of Shrek in the early '00s was due to it being a fresh alternative to the animated films that were being released at the time, with its smartassed toilet humor, pop culture jokes and celebrity voice casting being incredibly fresh compared to the "animated musical" format of Renaissance-era Disney. However, DreamWorks Animation went on to recycle the Shrek formula for several years, and every animation studio that wasn't Pixar started copying it; by the time Shrek the Third came out in 2007 the gimmick had long worn out its welcome.

In 2008 they released Kung Fu Panda, which ushered in a new era of DreamWorks animated films, featuring less reliance on pop culture jokes and more emphasis on story and characters — complete with tones and themes inspired by the very studio that Shrek was making fun of in the first place. While the popularity of the Renaissance-era Disney films has grown since the early part of the decade (thanks in part to films like 2009's The Princess and the Frog and 2010's Tangled taking their style directly from the era), and the Shrek film series still has a following (or, at least, the first two films in the series do), the "Shrek genre" of films is all but dead.
    • Perhaps the biggest example of Dreamworks switch of focus was symbolized with the release of Puss in Boots, itself a spinoff of the Shrekseries, which put more emphasis on High Fantasy Adventure than anything else.

I'd be surprised if the attraction last more than a decade.

I'd be surprised if the attraction last more than a decade.

A decade?! It won't last that long! With the generation who were the target audience for Shrek now all thinking the same thing, in that it just got worse and worse, they wont't want to fork out lots of money to go to this new attraction, and with young children now not even being born when Shrek was out knowing nothing about it, then nobody will visit apart from the diehard Shrek fans.

</opinion>

Reactions: Ted
Maybe PM @Craig as he did all the post moving.

Or now I've tagged him, there's probs no need. :p

Apologies this was moved on my phone in a bit of a rush so must have grabbed that post as well as the longer Shrek ones. Much easier to either PM myself or a member of the team, or hit the report button so we can pickup stuff like this quicker in future :).

Will a premium pass purchased before the updated Ts & Cs be able to gain access to the new Shrek attraction before September, or does that rule now apply to both new and existing passes? I probably won't bother with it as I've never taken any interest in Shrek, but it'd be nice to have the option as a couple of members in my family don't mind it.
I imagine because it's a old pass it wouldn't include Shrek, because when you bought it the attraction didn't exsist and therefore wouldn't have been part of your pass or in your T&Cs. And like Diogo says they can always use the "T&C will change at any time". I would guess thought you could go in with premium after September even with a old pass.

Surely there's a limit on how much the Ts and Cs can change without notice, or even with notice.

*Turns up to Towers*

"Sorry we've just changed our Ts and Cs so that passholders can't get into Towers today. Bye bye!"

I imagine because it's a old pass it wouldn't include Shrek, because when you bought it the attraction didn't exsist and therefore wouldn't have been part of your pass or in your T&Cs.

Yep when you bought your pass the Shrek attraction didn't exist, so you would still be getting what you paid for.

now there is direct rail link between shropshire and london, with the fact my daughter has got a pass, she want to go and do the in london attractions. look like it will have to be a september weekend trip.

Surely there's a limit on how much the Ts and Cs can change without notice, or even with notice.

*Turns up to Towers*

"Sorry we've just changed our Ts and Cs so that passholders can't get into Towers today. Bye bye!"
If you sign up to Ts and Cs which state that they can be changed at anytime, that entry to any attraction can be refused at their discretion and that having a pass does not mean you will necessarily be let in - they can change them as much as they want. No limits. It's what you signed up for.

Having said that, most terms that nobody read will have a similar clause in them. It's not a Merlin thing, it's a common legal thing :)

The Ts&Cs that I've read basically list all the attractions currently available on the pass and refer to that list as 'the Attractions' and then go on to say that the pass entitles you to entry to 'the Attractions', rather than just anything owned by Merlin.

A full run down of the attraction has been posted over on about.com. Sounds like the bit before the character meet and greet is basically a kid's version of The Dungeons. Sounds pretty interesting and fun in all honesty!

Just begging that the "show-stopping finale" isn't just an unthemed 20ft ABC drop tower stuck in a bare concrete room with one projector at the top.