• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Towers Coaster Poll

What is your favourite Towers coaster?

• Spinball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RMT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • air

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Th13irtee13n

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • The Smiler

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 44 50.6%

• Total voters
1. Nemesis
2. Oblivion
3. Thirteen
4. The Smiler
5. Sonic
6. RMT
7. Air
8. Rita

Air ranks low because its sexist. Rita because the first turn is vile. And The Smiler comes below Thirteen because pain. Plus I find Thirteen quite cute because it's little and does lots of wooshing through the woods.

1. Th13teen
Th13teen takes the number one spot for me, because it's a decent all-round coaster. Yes, the brakes on the drop are a bit of a bummer, but I just love the ride. (Ignoring breakdowns) It has decent throughput and, come on, that semi-launch on the return to the station, gotta love Intamin for that!
2. Nemesis
Nemesis used to be number one, but the single train service finally knocked it down to number 2. Aside from that, I do love the ride, and it's an amazing coaster at the end of the day, with the warm track!
3. Oblivion
Despite the world's first vertical drop roller coaster not actually being vertical, it's still an amazing ride. The airtime I've experienced this season has been spectacular, and I decided that looking up makes the ride 100x scarier.
4. Smiler
People love it too much! It has to be said. The whole aspect of going upside down 14 times is great, the theming and layout are good, but it's too busy and over-rated to be in my top 3. Sorry Gerst!
5. Spinball
It's simple. Intense. Quite painful at times but fun at the same time.
6. RMT
It's a Mine Train coaster, okay, nothing special...well, aside from the Choo Choo stuff...#ChooChoo
7. Air
It's rough, it's boring and it's slow. Don't hate, just an opinion.
8. Rita
Rita, or as I tend to call it, the Rattler, takes the very special 8th spot place because it's not that fun, the launch is good but the rest of the track just severs your legs. If the brake run and exit was at the end of the first leg of track, then it would be a lot higher in my rankings. But it's not. So it shall stay here.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but something I have to ask you about.

Nemesis used to be number one, but the single train service finally knocked it down to number 2. Aside from that, I do love the ride, and it's an amazing coaster at the end of the day, with the warm track

Firstly, single train service? Nemesis runs two trains without fail unless there are maintenance issues with the second train. I don't think I have ever seen Nemesis run one train through choice, apart from maybe at a Feb half term 3 or 4 years ago. I ran one train this FHT but that was because the second train had not been signed off for operation.

But even if one train operation was a regular occurrence how does it effect a ranking? It doesn't change the coaster itself. You rank Thirteen as your number one; quite a lot of the time that is actually on reduced capacity!

:)

1. Oblivion
2. Nemesis
3. Thirteen
4. The Smiler
5. Air
6. Sonic
7. RMT
8. Rita

I may even get round to explaining my choices some time soon!

1. Nemesis
Nemesis, it's an amazing coaster. As other have said, nice warm bearing at the end of the day, It just beyond amazing

2. Air
It a nice warm up or cool down coaster. excluding the tunnel, I really like the theming. Ok some call it boring, however it ride reminds me of flying in a air cadet days

3. Smiler
The theming and layout are good, exclude the breakdowns and that rough train. I do enjoy it

4. Th13teen
Th13teen is a decent all-round coaster. It has decent throughput, and give a nice boot up the bum to return to the station.

5. Hex
Great theming and story. also scares the heck out of my daughter. win on both counts

6. RMT
Is a nice have a laugh coaster, Choo Choo

7. Rita
Bone Rattler, sorry Rita comes 7th due to the rough ride. a bit sharp on the brakes, the launch save it from being right off the list.

8. Oblivion
Really does play on my fear of falling. that why the marvellous dive machine comes in at 8th place. I just don't have the stomach for it, that often

1. Nemesis
I need say nothing more. I make a commitment to get on Nemmy at least once each day I'm at Towers, and since my first trip in 2007 when I could finally go on it, I have kept to that. For me, this is easily the best coaster at Towers. Late at night on the front row is just perfection. <3

2. Oblivion
For a while, this was my favourite at Towers, but Nemmy did finally top it a couple of years ago. It's short, but that's part of its pull for me. It still packs a punch, and I love it.

3. The Smiler
I know its placing may be a bit controversial, but I do like it. It's what the park has needed for a long time. Sure, there's the awful queue line, and the inevitable game of Train Roulette, but on a good day, it's a great coaster. It's just inversion after inversion after inversion, and hardly any time to breathe between each one!

4. Air
A lot of people don't like Air. I don't mind it. It's not the most thrilling coaster in the world, but it was never supposed to be. John Wardley has said that Air was designed to simulate the experience of flight, and it fills this remit. It's especially good at night, as I found out in 2012 at Fireworks.

5. Thirteen
For what it is, Thirteen isn't that bad. It fits the bill of what it was supposed to be (excluding the vastly over-the-top marketing), and it's a solid ride. Yeah, the trims on the first drop ruin it a bit, and the outdoor section is poor, but the indoor drop gets me every single time.

6. Sonic Spinball
The throughput may not be all that wonderful, and it may be a Maurer coaster, but it's actually decent. If the car is weighted in the right way, it can provide a good ride. I wouldn't queue more than 20 minutes for it, though.

7. RMT
I think this may have been my first coaster at Towers. For what it is, it's decent, with the shared Rapids tunnel being the high point of the ride. If there's a short queue for it, then I don't mind waiting. Otherwise, I normally end up on the Rapids. :p

8. Rita
The launch is intense, the layout's half-decent...and that's about it for the positives of Rita. The throughput's nowhere near what it should be, queues are excessively long, it's rough in places, and whenever I sit on the right of the train, I get this pain in my right thigh near the hip joint, which doesn't go away for a couple of minutes after I get off it.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but something I have to ask you about.

Firstly, single train service? Nemesis runs two trains without fail unless there are maintenance issues with the second train. I don't think I have ever seen Nemesis run one train through choice, apart from maybe at a Feb half term 3 or 4 years ago. I ran one train this FHT but that was because the second train had not been signed off for operation.

But even if one train operation was a regular occurrence how does it effect a ranking? It doesn't change the coaster itself. You rank Thirteen as your number one; quite a lot of the time that is actually on reduced capacity!

:)

I've been to Towers 6 times this season, twice it's been on one train. Once they were running mainentance, the other they wouldn't tell me why (I'm guessing Maintenance) That's not so much the reason why it's slipped to second, I just prefer Th13teen. The slow throughput kinda annoyed me, so that's my reasoning. Aside from that, it's a close tie between Th13teen and Nemesis.

I've been to Towers 6 times this season, twice it's been on one train. Once they were running mainentance, the other they wouldn't tell me why (I'm guessing Maintenance) That's not so much the reason why it's slipped to second, I just prefer Th13teen. The slow throughput kinda annoyed me, so that's my reasoning. Aside from that, it's a close tie between Th13teen and Nemesis.

Question, when have you been to Towers this season for Nemesis to only have one train? I've only been once this year (which was Ceebeebies Land opening day) and it was running on two trains.

Question, when have you been to Towers this season for Nemesis to only have one train? I've only been once this year (which was Ceebeebies Land opening day) and it was running on two trains.

I can't remember the dates, but I can say they were quiet weekdays, as that's the only time I visit

I can't remember the dates, but I can say they were quiet weekdays, as that's the only time I visit
I too visit mainly on 'quiet weekdays' and have yet to see Nemesis on 1 train apart form last Feb half term, where one had not been signed off by H&S.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm finding this extremely hard to believe.

Also, no 'hate,' but I have NEVER heard Air being called 'Rough' before, I thought it was a joke at first. o_O

I too visit mainly on 'quiet weekdays' and have yet to see Nemesis on 1 train apart form last Feb half term, where one had not been signed off by H&S.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm finding this extremely hard to believe.

Also, no 'hate,' but I have NEVER heard Air being called 'Rough' before, I thought it was a joke at first. o_O

I can level many things at air, it's dull, it makes me feel ill, the restraints I personally find really uncomfortable (I know that's not a common issue though), TUNNEL, reliability. I really don't enjoy it at all. But.... ROUGH? Damn that ride is smooth as glass! I think it's probably the smoothest coaster I have ever ridden, I think that contributes to the slight icky feeling it leaves me with.

It's swoopy, a bit disorientating, and super super smooth. It's a beautiful coaster to watch, to listen to, and to ride - I just don't personally like it.

AIR to me is just an experience. Its not meant to be a Nemesis style, grab you by the balls sensation. The idea was to give you a sensation of what it would be like to fly. Ive never heard anyone complain about the TUNNEL until I started watching these forums and also never heard a single bad word against it until these forums. To me its still one of my best rides at AT, as I find it comfortable. (I have back problems and the ride is very good for it) The soundtrack, both the long version and short are brilliant are some of the best on the park. That's AIR defence I shall move on.

OBLIVION Again the sensation is more of a punch in the face rather then anything else. The design of the queue (the line videos themselves are pure genius) The fact that actually plunge into darkness, well worth spending the extra million they did digging it.

NEMESIS. Of course this is always going to be the peoples favourite. The Smiler will win poles for the moment but this will come through again. When you park up its the first thing you hear. That's enough to tell you that there is something brilliant lurking in the bowls of AT. The look, the ride itself. I spent the whole of 94 wanting to ride this and in 95 got my chance it didn't let me down. Not my main draw anymore. Oblivion is my number 1, but not go to Alton and not go on Nemmy is like turning down the chance to travel through time.

THIRTEEN. Best ridden in the dark. Warm sunny days do not due this ride any justice. It needs to be dark, raining and a bit windy. I always ride at night as it adds to the whole area. I even say, the scaffolding doesn't bother me. It has a very good sound track too.

RITA, The one at Flamingo land is better. and the queue is always too long. Still I think it needs to be there.

THE SMILER. Good way to go into retirement. Let down by the queue line. 2hours in that cattle grid and it I was ready to punch the next person I saw in a track suit. The atmosphere is bang on and watching it is just................ I cant put it into words. Too many positives (without talking about the reliability issues zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) But it just lacks that certain touch.

SONIC. Never bother with it.

RMT. A laugh, plain and simple.

I actually found this a lot harder than I first thought, but here goes!

1. The Smiler
For me, it is very close between Nemesis and The Smiler (and sometimes they do swap places). I really like the length of the ride and the nice air time hills. I also enjoy the whole theme and style of the ride. I also find this ride comfortable :)

2. Nemesis
As I said, very close between this and The Smiler, however I generally prefer sit down coasters over inverted, so this is a very close second. I love the whole layout-very intense and just awesome. The theming and interaction with the landscape is also great.

3. Oblivion
An enjoyable ride, I just wish it was longer.

4. Th13teen
A fun ride. If you look at it for what it is – it is a great family ride and as a bonus it is hilarious watching the reactions of first-time riders :laughing:

6. Air
Whilst I admire the whole concept, it is just not my kind-of ride. However at the front, I find it much more enjoyable.

5. RMT
Fun ride always good for a laugh. Choo Choo!

7. Rita
Nice launch, however I'm not keen on the rest of the layout. Also, there is something about the theme and the station which, for me, makes it feel a bit tacky.

8. Sonic
I’m not a fan of spinning coasters – sorry Sonic

Interesting how AT's own world cup of roses put the Smiler at the top spot when nearly everyone here says it's nemesis. Personally I think the vote on Facebook was a bit skewed to start with, they are not going to put the Smiler in second place to a ride which has been open over 20 years are they.......

Interesting how AT's own world cup of roses put the Smiler at the top spot when nearly everyone here says it's nemesis. Personally I think the vote on Facebook was a bit skewed to start with, they are not going to put the Smiler in second place to a ride which has been open over 20 years are they.......

True but then you also have the newness of The Smiler and far more considered appraisal here of what truly makes a great coaster, with all due respect, more so than those who just base it on ride length and inversions.

The obvious choice IS The Smiler. I think it shows that probably the opinions here are skewed if anything, because of so many of us appreciating the finer points of what makes Nemesis a world beater still after almost 20 years, and even with many of us and out adoration from the gnarly beastess many of us still find it a close call!

The Smiler though, without any shadow of a doubt, will not have the longevity because something bigger and better will takes its place - where as Nemesis will still have that magic special something that is all too rare nowadays.

I can level many things at air, it's dull, it makes me feel ill, the restraints I personally find really uncomfortable (I know that's not a common issue though), TUNNEL, reliability. I really don't enjoy it at all. But.... ROUGH? Damn that ride is smooth as glass! I think it's probably the smoothest coaster I have ever ridden, I think that contributes to the slight icky feeling it leaves me with.

It's swoopy, a bit disorientating, and super super smooth. It's a beautiful coaster to watch, to listen to, and to ride - I just don't personally like it.
The restraints are not a common issue, but I sympathise, its one of the reasons I try to avoid it...

Well for me I still really enjoy Oblivion, so that is probably my number 1, also Smiler can be number 2, but can also be right near the bottom of the list if I get a really bad train! (So this is based on getting good rides on it!)

1. Oblivion
2. The Smiler
3. Nemesis
4. Air
5. Rita
6. Sonic Spinball
7. Thirteen
8. RMT