• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Next theme park to open in the UK

I wouldn't be surprised to see Merlin continue their Trafford Centre obsession with a small amusement park maybe since the TC has so much potential expansion. Considering the Metro centre had one a few years back, I'm not sure if it counts but I could see it happening. Especially considering Manchester's nearest theme park is Gullivers and more and more tourists are visiting MCR so it would give rollercoaster fans to visit too. Yes I know the Trafford centre isn't in Manchester and it's unlikely but I can always dream, other places in the UK needed theme parks are Scotland and the South-West.

Stelios said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Merlin continue their Trafford Centre obsession with a small amusement park maybe since the TC has so much potential expansion. Considering the Metro centre had one a few years back, I'm not sure if it counts but I could see it happening. Especially considering Manchester's nearest theme park is Gullivers and more and more tourists are visiting MCR so it would give rollercoaster fans to visit too. Yes I know the Trafford centre isn't in Manchester and it's unlikely but I can always dream, other places in the UK needed theme parks are Scotland and the South-West.

There is so much space for expansion there you could really see something like that happening. The TC has nearly everything you could ever want in it now, a theme park along with the proposed Sea Life centre would only top it off.

M£rlin should be stopped from buying / building anything else in the UK. They have a near total monopoly on the market as it is.

DiogoJ42 said:
Legobland, wasn't it?

Possibly, 1996. RCDB doesn't list an opening date for M&Ds but their first rollercoaster was 1998, so probably them, presuming it opened with the park.

Yes...a new theme park in Scotland yes please!

Of course I know our population and weather can scare of anyone wanting to build a park here, though the best place to build one (as mentioned earlier in the topic) is in the lowland area (Edinburgh and Glasgow) where the population there is the biggest, it would also give a theme park for those living in the far north of England.

And with M&D's, they did actually wanted to make themselves into a theme park by expanding it, though the council refused, thus instead, we got the world's worst roller coaster...

For such a beautiful land we Scots have to offer, why no one decided to make a large woody up beside a mountain or Loch is beyond me...

Of course I know our population and weather can scare of anyone wanting to build a park here, though the best place to build one (as mentioned earlier in the topic) is in the lowland area (Edinburgh and Glasgow) where the population there is the biggest, it would also give a theme park for those living in the far north of England.

And with M&D's, they did actually wanted to make themselves into a theme park by expanding it, though the council refused, thus instead, we got the world's worst roller coaster...

For such a beautiful land we Scots have to offer, why no one decided to make a large woody up beside a mountain or Loch is beyond me...

Sorry if this seems a bit too in depth, it's just something I've given a lot of thought to over the last few years.

I think that this map really shows the extent of the problem. There's almost an invisible boundary running between Blackpool and Middlesbrough. It's like the tree line on a mountain, the parks exist wherever they can attract enough visitors but beyond that, nothing until M&D's and Cadona's.

I think that a successful Scottish park would have to start small and gradually build in size and reputation starting as an "and" attraction rather than the main tourist draw for the area.

Massive high-stakes multi-million brand new parks are nearly always a disaster. Look at Terra Mitica, on paper it looks like a brilliant idea. Benidorm is a tourist hotspot with a number of successful waterparks and animal attractions already operating in the area. If you were to build a massive theme park there, how could it not be succesful? But for whatever reason when it opened, the numbers they predicted just didn't show up.

I totally agree with you that it would be brilliant to utilise Scotland's dramatic landscapes for the purposes of a beautiful theme park with amazing terrain coasters but a lot of the best landscapes have low populations, terrible infrastructure, fearsome weather in winter and most tourists in the area are more interested in walking. There's also the issue of being allowed to build it. I reckon you'd just about get away with building a park at somewhere like Loch Lomond or Aviemore which are already quite developed but sprawling mountain-side woodies would probably be out of the question.

I reckon the most feasible location for a park in a beautiful location is around the Clyde valley. There's countless wind farms in that area as well as a the M74 and the West Coast mainline so I doubt a theme park would have much impact on the landscape in comparison. The motorway would also provide easy access from Glasgow and attract visitors on their way from England. It could even have its own branch off the railway if things got serious.

Another possible place for a park is near the Forth Bridges. The bridges themselves bring in a lot of tourists and there's already a few attractions in that area. Plus it's on Edinburgh's doorstep which is the biggest tourist draw in Scotland.

My last idea is a small, well themed city park like Tivoli Gardens. Tivoli gets some of the highest visitor numbers in Europe and has managed to become a part of Copenhagen and a must-see attraction in the city. A new park couldn't recreate the history that Tivoli has but I think something similar could work well in Edinburgh.

CGM said:

I think that this map really shows the extent of the problem.

There are definitely a few scaling issues on that map - number 1) Alton and Drayton :p

You're right, Drayton is waaaay off. However, the point where the parks dry up is more or less correct. I checked on Google earth and M&D's is literally the only theme park for 100 miles ie. There's no other park within a 100 mile radius of it. I find that pretty depressing. Still it could be worse, you could be a theme park fan in Ireland.