• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

North West Teacher Strike 27/6/13

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Wozzablue

TS Member
I'm a teacher from Bolton and wondering how busy the park may be on Thursday 27th June when the north west schools are on strike?

Hoping it will be a decent time to go with other areas still in school!!!!

Thanks in advance

Wozzablue said:
I'm a teacher from Bolton and wondering how busy the park may be on Thursday 27th June when the north west schools are on strike?

Thanks in advance

As a teacher, I would really encourage you not to go to Alton Towers and instead support the action either at a rally or official picket!

:)

Without being rude, shouldn't you be taking the "day off" to join official strike action, rather than taking advantage of the situation?

I answer to the original question, I don't think that it'll be that quiet, it sounds perilously close to school trip time! I know when I was at college we had to go on our trip a couple of weeks before the end of term.

This does remind me of the THORPE PARK, scive work and come to a theme park instead marketing campaign of a couple of years ago. I'd say go, The Smiler might even be open!

Without being rude to the two replies so far, it is my prerogative how I spend my strike day! I whole heartily detest what the current government are doing at the minute but if I am to go on strike and lose a days pay then I would rather do something I like!!!!!

So can we get back to the question, will it be busy?

Thanks thomas

It will be busy, yes, so I recommend you take action on the picket line if you feel the need to strike (as you clearly do otherwise you wouldn't be striking).

Either way, enjoy your day!

Wozzablue said:

Thanks in advance
I would protest at towers, there's nothing better than taking advantage of work situation.

And I would say look out which day the smiler opens before traveling.

Have a good day either way

Wozzablue said:
Without being rude to the two replies so far, it is my prerogative how I spend my strike day! I whole heartily detest what the current government are doing at the minute but if I am to go on strike and lose a days pay then I would rather do something I like!!!!!

So can we get back to the question, will it be busy?

Thanks thomas

I'm glad you can afford to. But perhaps you might want to think of what reputation this places on other teachers who actually stay to picket out of protest, not use a serious situation to get some leisure time

It will be busy with all the kids off school due to a teacher strike taking the opportunity to do something they enjoy.

It does definitely send an "Ooo, day off, chance to have some fun at Towers!" message, which is precisely the image that Gove etc. would love to see teachers portray. Rather than "I'm going to refuse to work for the day because of the current working conditions for teachers, and attitudes from the government towards teaching and the teaching profession".

As a fellow qualified teacher, it's sad to see that people would choose the former over the latter.

Surely a strike is optional.. if someone doesn't want to strike, or couldn't careless, you still lose a day of pay, if too many are going on strike they can't open school due to lack of teachers.

Just because you want to go striking doesn't mean everyone does.

I think we've diverted somewhat, had the original poster not mentioned that he was a teacher himself and he was a pupil, I think this thread would have been referred to another part of the forum and just a general post about it being busy due to the frequency of school trips.

If you want to go, by all means go! But expect to queue, and buy fasttracks.

The school should remain open if there is strike action, otherwise they are forcing industrial action on their staff. So if you dont want to strike, then you go to work, simple, If the school turns you away as there is no point, then they cannot take a days pay off you

I am locking this topic, its clearly an emotive one but it is also not really a subject matter for the AT general forum.

I believe an answer has been provided. It will be very busy due to school trips.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.