• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nostalgia within theme parks; what are your thoughts on it?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Disclaimer: I apologise in advance, as this post is quite long. There is a TL;DR at the bottom for those who would like one.
Hi guys. As many of you probably know, Duel, Alton Towers’ interactive haunted house-style dark ride, recently closed for a retheme and is reopening in 2023. Speculation is rife throughout the UK enthusiast community about what this retheme could entail and what it might be like, but one thing I’ve noticed is that there are a considerable number of people who wish for the park to go down the nostalgia route. These people are clamouring for the ride to be returned brick by brick to exactly how it was when it first opened in 1992, as though the 2003 Duel revamp never happened. There’s quite a considerable group of people who believe this, and it’s part of a wider trend of nostalgia that seems to have gripped the UK enthusiast community as of late. There are now quite a few different nostalgic calls to “bring back” old rides being made around the community, including:
  • “Revert Duel back to the Haunted House”
  • “Revert Galactica back to Air”
  • “Revive Pirate Adventure”
  • “Revive Rocky Express”
  • “Revert The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure back to Professor Burp’s Bubbleworks”
  • “Revive Ripsaw, Boneshaker and Dynamo”
  • “If Project Horizon isn’t a Black Hole revival, they’re missing a trick”
My basic point is; a considerable wave of nostalgia seems to have gripped the UK enthusiast community as of late, with clamouring for old attractions from the 90s and early 2000s to return being quite commonplace at the moment. So my question to you today is; what are your thoughts on the use of nostalgia within theme parks? What are your thoughts on parks “bringing back” old attractions, or making nods to the past?

Personally, I’m a bit mixed on nostalgia myself.

I’m perfectly happy with minor displays of nostalgia at parks. Subtle nods to the past scattered within a new attraction? Great! Loads of old artwork and concepts being displayed, like in the Rollercoaster Restaurant at Alton Towers? Love it! Wanting to sell retro merchandise? Go for it! Relatively minor nostalgic touches are nice for those who look for this sort of stuff and don’t really affect the experience at large for the average guest, so these can certainly be pretty good when done well, in my view.

However, I’m not so keen on the prospect of more major scale nostalgia, such as “bringing back” old rides. Personally, I think parks should move forward into the future rather than stay in the past when it comes to new attractions, and I am personally sceptical as to whether “bringing back” old attractions would have a happy ending, for multiple reasons.

Basically, my thought process is that “bringing back” an old attraction would please relatively few people, because the average guest likely wouldn’t know what the old attraction being “revived” was, or even if they did, they likely wouldn’t understand why the park was “reviving” an old ride that closed years prior. I also have a concern that the ride of old may not resonate with modern crowds in the same way as it did with original crowds, no matter how good it was when it originally operated.

Whereas I fear that the enthusiasts and die hard nostalgics whom such a move would be aimed at would be critical of the fact that the “revival” wasn’t enough like the old ride, because let’s face it, a “revival” can never be the exact same ride as the original attraction being “revived” was, no matter how good the intentions of your creative team are. That’s simply impossible due to technological advancements, part of or all of the old ride having been scrapped, and simply due to the fact that no matter how hard you try, you cannot rewrite history to pretend that the removal of the original ride never happened. That’s why I always say “revival” in inverted commas, because it wouldn’t be a true “revival”, but rather a new experience with the same name.

For instance, one of the main nostalgic wishes as of late is for Duel at Alton Towers to be reverted back to the Haunted House exactly as it was in 1992, with all of the original props being kept, the Swamp finale being rebuilt and the Graham Smart soundtracks and original facade being fully restored. My concern here is that the original HH closed 20 years ago, so there is likely a considerable number of Alton Towers guests who don’t know about it, and even those that do would probably be somewhat bemused at why it was “returning”. I also have concerns that the ride as built in 1992, as good as it was back then, might not resonate with 2023 guests in the same way.

On the other side of the coin, I fear that the enthusiasts such a move would be aimed towards would be critical that a “revival” of the HH wouldn’t be enough like the original 1992 ride. Given that I’ve heard “it doesn’t even smell like it did in 1992” being banded about as a criticism of Duel, I think the nostalgics would be keen for every little detail to be restored to exactly how it was before in the event of a “revival”, which I fear simply wouldn’t be possible. The entire 1992 finale was demolished prior to the Duel revamp in 2003, Keith Sparks (the original designer) is dead, certain technologies used in the 1992 original are now obsolete and have long been succeeded by modern alternatives (for instance, the ride would have to be lit very differently nowadays, which would make the original scenes look very different to how they were originally supposed to look)… there’s a lot of factors that mean the ride simply would not be the same ride as it was in 1992 no matter how hard the creative team tried to make it the same. You cannot rewrite history and pretend that Duel never happened; there was only one of the original HH, and it closed in 2002. A “revival” of the HH would be a totally different attraction that simply shares the same name; it wouldn’t actually bring the old experience back.

But what are your thoughts on the use of nostalgia in theme parks, and the prospect of “bringing back” old attractions and themes?
TL;DR: Given the recent clamouring for many old attractions to return within the UK enthusiast community, I’d be keen to know your thoughts on the use of nostalgia within theme parks.

Overall, I have a mixed opinion on the use of nostalgia within theme parks. I don’t mind minor displays of nostalgia, as these can be fun for those who look for such things and don’t really affect the experience at large.

However, I am less keen on major scale nostalgia, such as “reviving” old attractions and themes, simply because I feel that you can’t rewrite history no matter how hard you try, and that a “revived” ride would never be the same as the original attraction. I also feel that a “revival” of an old attraction wouldn’t really resonate with the average guest.

1. Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.
2. The parks just don't give a damn what the thoosies want, they give them the odd nod, arrange occasional geek meets and so on, but do not focus on their "wants and needs" at all.
3. The general visitor doesn't really give a damn either, or we wouldn't be weeping for the Reel/Mouse/Black Hole.
4. There must be progress on limited sites, change, overall, is good, and must happen.

You have to remember that old farts like me and many others here have seen decades of neglect and destruction of things that could and should (source: themeparks around the world) be either as good as or improved on what it was.

Instead we have parks full of dilapidated things or, what I consider even worse, where money has been spent to make things less good. That can't help but drive a certain amount of nostalgia. I'm not talking about actual new developments and the relative quality of those compared to what used to be added to parks, but the actual attractions that have been there for a long period of time.

That being said, I think you are taking a lot of what is said far too literally. The return of exactly what has gone before would nearly always be both daft and practically meaningless, and that's not what people are getting at. What would 'bring back the haunted house' mean? I don’t think anyone that says it actually means a literal recreation of what was there, but more a return to the concept and feeling the ride had. Air 'returning' more just a desire for it to make some sense, which it currently doesn't. Again, I don't think anyone means putting things exactly to how they were when it opened, just undoing the damage done and improving the current terrible presentation standard.

Nostalgia is frequently well placed in theme parks, a lot of things were a lot lot better before they were neglected for years.

That being said, I think you are taking a lot of what is said far too literally. The return of exactly what has gone before would nearly always be both daft and practically meaningless, and that's not what people are getting at. What would 'bring back the haunted house' mean? I don’t think anyone that says it actually means a literal recreation of what was there, but more a return to the concept and feeling the ride had. Air 'returning' more just a desire for it to make some sense, which it currently doesn't. Again, I don't think anyone means putting things exactly to how they were when it opened, just undoing the damage done and improving the current terrible presentation standard.
That might well be true in many cases (I certainly have a habit of taking things too literally), but in some of these wishes, particularly in the Duel topic, I have seen posters express intent for the original ride to “return” almost exactly as it was before.

For instance, in the Duel thread, I have seen certain posters rhapsodise about every single 1992 scene needing to be kept the same, the scenes needing to be relit exactly as they were in 1992, the Graham Smart tracks from 1992 being brought back from the dead, the blueprints for the original 1992 ride needing to be emulated, and other things that would suggest a wish to quite literally turn back the clock and pretend that Duel never happened.

In those cases, I’d imagine the poster is almost certainly talking about a near exact return to the original HH.

Youre risking taking an extremely small number of people's views and projecting them on to a wider group.
In my many years being a theme park fan, I think the level of affection for past attractions has stayed about the same.

The only difference is media often capitalises on "nostalgia" now, which often has nothing to do with the actual stuff that entertained people from the past, and more to do with inserting clumsy references or selling things with old logos on it, to make money. I couldnt care about references to old attractions, whereas lots of fans seem to love it. I'd rather just be entertained!

A small minority of people lose perspective and hail anything in the past as a sort of utopian golden age, while this is tiresome it's only a minority. A much larger number of people are completely unaware of how different these parks were in the past.

I find the history of the parks extremely interesting and revealing. Of course many factors are different now too, but you can learn a lot from the recent past for today.

I grew up going to Alton Towers in a particularly naff period, in the mid 2000s, I certainly dont have much nostalgia for then, other than things that genuinly were better (like Ug Land before Rita). I can objectively see the park was a better all round place to visit in the 90s.

I think many people running the parks would agree. Making that improvement however is a hard complex process. It doesnt literally mean recreating the past for the sake of it, it just means raising standards back to where they were and more.

Often things have just gotten run down and unmaintained, in which case bringing them back to opening day condition would be all they need, maybe plus some faithful updates. It depends on the attraction. Many parks abroad have kept their older attractions because, if maintained, theyre still unique and entertaining. This isn't nostlagia.

It's easier to dismiss interest in the past as "nostalgia" than actually understand how and why things change. But most importantly, Id rather just be entertained, and I see a lot of great entertainment in UK parks in the 90s developments. Same as I see great entertainment in the present day, at places like Phantasialand, Europa Park etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The park has got run down over the years, we all know that. There's nothing wrong with wanting the standards and ambition of the past back. Recreations of old attractions is a weird thing to suggest but it's only a loud minority I think that actually believe in that stuff. Most people, when challenged on blurting out "bring back xyz" remarks, actually don't mean it, they're more making a commentary on how the preceding attraction or theme was of a higher quality than the present one.

The fact Merlin doesn't seem to come up with many original themes these days and have become overly reliant on IPs has probably helped fuel the desire to resurrect old attractions.

No matter how well executed, IPs are rarely as interesting as something the parks come up with themselves unless you have Disney / Universal levels of investment to play with.

For clarity, I’m not referring to anyone wishing for the standards of the past back or people who are interested in the parks’ history as nostalgics (I too am interested in history!).

I was more talking about those who seem passionate about quite literally recreating the past and “resurrecting” things. Admittedly that might be a vocal minority rather than the significant amount of people I thought it was, but people definitely exist who think along this train of thought; there are definitely enthusiasts who go a bit further with the nostalgia than simply wanting to return to the standards of the past, including on here.

For instance, I’ve seen people talking about how the Graham Smart soundtracks and 1992 scenes and lighting need to be returned to the Haunted House, and I’ve seen people talking about how Ripsaw and Boneshaker should be resurrected rather than going for new, modern flat rides.

I was just intrigued to know everyone’s thoughts on that concept. They might be a vocal minority rather than the significant proportion of people I thought they were, though…

For clarity, I’m not referring to anyone wishing for the standards of the past back or people who are interested in the parks’ history as nostalgics (I too am interested in history!).

I was more talking about those who seem passionate about quite literally recreating the past and “resurrecting” things. Admittedly that might be a vocal minority rather than the significant amount of people I thought it was, but people definitely exist who think along this train of thought; there are definitely enthusiasts who go a bit further with the nostalgia than simply wanting to return to the standards of the past, including on here.

For instance, I’ve seen people talking about how the Graham Smart soundtracks and 1992 scenes and lighting need to be returned to the Haunted House, and I’ve seen people talking about how Ripsaw and Boneshaker should be resurrected rather than going for new, modern flat rides.

I was just intrigued to know everyone’s thoughts on that concept. They might be a vocal minority rather than the significant proportion of people I thought they were, though…
Oh sorry for misunderstanding.

Well if we're talking about people demanding a literal return to 1992, then yeah those people are crazy. I never want to see my dark purple shell suit ever again.

I think using nostalgia in some ways is fine, look at World's of Fun and Zambeezi Zinger 2. Using a classic rides area, station, and iconic lift hill design but creating something brand new with a different sort of ride experience.

I’ve seen people talking about how Ripsaw and Boneshaker should be resurrected rather than going for new, modern flat rides.
Most people who call for the return of Ripsaw also specify it should be the newer more modern version, Huss still make Top Spins so why not go for one again?

As for the boneshaker, its a good example of a flat ride that doesn't spin or invert therefore, similar to a pirate ship it fills a good gap as appealing to a broader range of guests. Most fairground flat rides relying on spinning fast as a main element and not everyone likes it.
So its not about nostagia in those cases, but trying to think what the best variety of flat rides could be for the park and a Top Spin and Supernova would probably be good additions once again. I would definitly say the park needs two more original rides as well as those and enterprise replaced, so five rides in total.

I think there’s a very select few attractions which genuinely would benefit from a return to previous form, or at least a modern reproduction of the previous form (like the theme park equivalent of a re-make of a video game I guess). The most obvious in that category being Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris which I still harbour lingering hopes will one day return to the De le Terre a la Lune theme.

More generally, however, it’s perhaps preferable for parks to focus on what brought them success, what sits within the ethos of the park (or the best ethos of the park as that will no doubt have changed,) and try to build new attractions in that style rather than trying to specifically recreate any tbh g from the past.

Alton Towers doesn’t need a new ride called Tje Black Hole, and it certainly doesn’t need another Schwarzkopf Jet Coaster, but it would hugely benefit from a reasonably intense indoor coaster, so they can look at what made that ride successful and integrate that into whatever they decide to build, rather than recreating a ride made in the 80s which would be ridiculous (and wasn’t actually as popular as people remember by the time it closed as most people I know thought of it as rough, dated and a bit crap).

Blackpool would have a couple of stunning attractions if they returned the dead mouse and reel.
Extremely popular attractions.
I would add the log flume to that Blackpool list.

There is nothing wrong with parks replacing old rides with better ones but in the case of reel, mouse and flume, only the flume has had a direct replacement and that's the abomination of Infusion!!!

I have no doubt at all that BPB would be a lot busier with those much missed rides still operating.

As for the Black Hole - come on - it was a bog standard very average steel coaster in a tent.

In terms of ride offering I would say that Alton Towers is probably better or no worse than it was 20 years ago. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is almost certainly a worse park than it was 20 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Problem is that the reason we talk about nostalgia is that when compared to the current lot of rides in contrast to those in the 1990's, many recent rides don't have the same affection as we have them not helped that many are nothing but IP's that won't last at best 10 years.

Even if we bring things back such as HH, Air or even Black Hole, I don't think we're asking for a like for like replica but something new and updated such as whatever they have planned for HH, Air returning but with its original oasis theme finally instated and the return of Black Hole being pretty much BH in name only in which it's not a Jet Star but really good indoor coaster with many effects that blows the original out of the water. Just using the name is just a marketing stunt that can be used to tempt guests as something of an 'event' as the return of a classic as you've never seen it before such say a suspended Top Spin for Ripsaw as such.

Ofc course, as cool as this might sound marking these as 'events' in which I have no doubt that Nemesis will have something for its return, the trick is to not keep doing this each year for example if the next 5 years at the park see pretty much the return of old favourites such as BH, Ripsaw, Air, TT and ofc the HH, that would actually dilute the whole experience and Towers and perhaps Merlin as a whole would find itself stuck from one extreme of IP attractions to going to the other extreme of purely nostalgia based attractions and no new named attractions so in truth, you can't win.

In the 90s when I was growing up, roller coasters were still a fairly new and exciting concept for the UK, and most of the rest of the world for that matter.

Yes they’d been around for a long time, but lots of records were being set, new and unique rides being created, and there was a huge buzz around the industry; a buzz which can arguably never be re-created, or at least never to that extent again.

That’s why it’s not at all unreasonable to suggest that the 90s were the glory years of the theme park industry.

Tosh!
In the sixties when I was growing up, there were loads of rollercoasters all over the place, UK and abroad, they were neither a new or exciting concept, records were set every year, and they were actually being closed down on an annual basis, lots of them, at Morecambe, White City, Belle Vue, Southport and Blackpool.
In '94, three big new coasters were built and were very popular, for a few years.
That doesn't make the nineties the best decade ever, just the years they were fashionable.