• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion (B&M Dive Machine) Noise

AirFAN

TS Member
After watching a video on YouTube a noticeable 'clinking' noise is heard just as the train enters the tunnel.

Heard at 1:31 and again at 2:22
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbTPUii_8s[/youtube]

It's something I've always subconsciously noticed and thought the noise was some how related to the train entering the tunnel.

Then I looked at other videos on YouTube of B&M dive machines and noticed it's a common occurrence.

Heard in this video at 0:08, 0:13, 0.53, 1:06, 1:38 etc.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHmP-6Og-0[/youtube]

Then I looked at a hyper coaster and the noise is there again. This time faintly at 0:40, 0:43, 0:47.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuc7OcqIYE&feature=related[/youtube]

It's clearly more identifiable on the dive machine.

What is it?

I always thought it was just some vibration from the train and the track with the steel that B&M uses but I will probably be wrong. I personally enjoy the noise, anyone else think it adds to the suspense?

It looks as if it happens when the train starts to curve from the drop to levelling out- such as on a dive coaster, when it starts to go from vertical to flat again.

It sounds like it's some vibration in the train- caused by the train's change in direction- but honestly, I've got no idea what it it really, or where it's from on the train.

Unless it is bits of theming/catwalks rattling from the vibrations as the train levels out as they are meant to shake to dissipate energy.

Without any knowledge, I'd guess it is the transition of the ride running from the wheels under the track to the wheels over it, ie from negative to positive g. There is going to be some movement in the carriage assembly when that much weight changes the force it is applying at that much speed.

Would also explain why Oblivion is a sharp 'crack' with its one shuttle, Sheikra a slightly more drawn out sound with its two bolted together and Intimidator with a fainter even more drawn out sound as each lighter carriage makes that transition.

Just a guess though.

It's the anti-rollbacks, they lift up as the train gets closer to zero-G on the drop, then as soon as the train starts to pull up they drop back down to their original position. The sound isn't the wheels of the train shifting load from the upstops to the road wheels, as they are all always touching the track on B&M coasters.

In fact, that is linked to why Oblivion's drop isn't quite vertical, because B&M hadn't developed spring-loaded wheel assemblies to keep all the wheels on the track at once, so to avoid unnecessary wear and tear to the track and wheels they lopped a couple of degrees off the drop to keep all wheels in contact throughout the drop.

I'm finding it hard to imagine what the anti rollbacks are actually doing? I haven't been able to find any diagrams of anti roll backs on the internet either.

AirFAN said:
I'm finding it hard to imagine what the anti rollbacks are actually doing? I haven't been able to find any diagrams of anti roll backs on the internet either.

They would be there to prevent the shuttle from falling back on the lift hill.

Very interesting. I'm going to check this out next time I'm on The Swarm. You can see the anti-roll-backs of the carriage in front so it should be possible to watch them rising and falling.

AirFAN said:

I'm sure you have seen rollercoaster lift hills, and noticed how there is a row of metal teeth all the way up? Well there is a metal device underneath the coaster car that locks into these teeth as you ascend the hill, and that's what makes the signature clicking sound that you hear while going up the lift :)

Ollie said:
^ If I recall, these are quite clear to see on The Flume I think...
Yep, fairly sure on the Flume they go up both sides of the, well, whatever you call the thing the boats are in ;)

Apologies. I know what the anti roll back 'teeth' are. I just wondered specifically how the piece connected to the train works? I assume there are large pieces of metal under the dive machine train that act under gravity or springs?

It's not the anti-rollbacks, the explanation i have heard that simply what was suggested above, that the running wheels are engaging with the track again. The wheels have some give around them as the track has some imperfections.

More modern coasters use spring loaded wheels

Dave said:
It's not the anti-rollbacks, the explanation i have heard that simply what was suggested above, that the running wheels are engaging with the track again. The wheels have some give around them as the track has some imperfections.

More modern coasters use spring loaded wheels

Well on some of the newest Dive Machines, you can hear 3 distinct noises from the 3 cars as they begin to pull up, and there are more than 3 sets of road wheels on each train! I accept that this noise is the road wheels on Oblivion, but the newer ones with true 90-degree drops and spring loaded wheels, it is definitely the rollbacks moving around. :)

When I suggested the transition from positive to negative I was not thinking the noise was the whole thing slamming from one set of wheels to the other, they are both pretty much in contact continuously. I was more thinking that everything that could possibly move on the carriage would move at that single point, combining to make the sound. This would clearly include the anti-rollbacks.