Oblivion: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt N, 30th Jun 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

The smiler has always scared me the most. I mean it's pretty understandable given how nuts it looks, especially underneath the ride in the queue.
    It's the only coaster at towers that I look at and think 'oh crap'

JAperson and Matt N like this.
    Posted 3rd Aug 2021
  2. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Oblivion is the only coaster at Alton that puts me on edge, another thing it does remarkably well.

Jb85, Joel3, jon81uk and 4 others like this.
    Posted 3rd Aug 2021
  3. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

Yes I am the same It still gets me as you head towards the station.

Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 3rd Aug 2021
  4. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Smiler makes me think oh do I have to endure that.
    Oblivion scares me as the anticipation of the drop is scary.
    It’s more comparable to Apocalypse than most coasters.

Matt N, JAperson and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 3rd Aug 2021
  5. deanW

deanW TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    Oblivion is much better than The Smiler in my opinion… I’d take one huge drop over repetitive loops any day! The other day, I was in the queue for The Smiler in the morning before it opened - it would have only taken me about 10/15 minutes to get on once open- but then decided to bail because I had a revelation that I could just go on Oblivion multiple times instead (though the queue built up quite quickly and I only got 2 rides anyway…).

Oblivion is definitely my favourite coaster I’ve been on of all - it’s so unique and the simplicity is what makes the drop so much more powerful!

Posted 3rd Aug 2021
  6. Austin Towers

Austin Towers TowersStreet Member

Oblivion isn't something that I would go out of my way to do but I always head to it after a ride on the Smiler.

In comparison I wouldn't even think of heading to Galactica after a ride on Nemesis. A ride on Nemesis is always followed by another ride on Nemesis :)

Posted 4th Aug 2021
  7. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

Given the black hole tent is still there you know it’s pretty old.

Skyscraper and Matt N like this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  8. jon81uk

Yep, but I can't recall when lockers were in that location. I've got a feeling there were lockers before Smiler opened and different lockers more recently, but there are none at the moment the Street View was taken!

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  9. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

I'm pretty confident the magical, mystery shelter has only ever been used for lockers, the Fastrack/VQ distribution (activated on Oblivion, Submission and then Black Hole), was only ever adjacent to the Black Hole tent, on the hill.

Last edited: 6th Aug 2021
    Matt N, jon81uk and AT86 like this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  10. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    That does recall something in my memory.

Edit:

[​IMG]

Matt N and jon81uk like this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  11. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

If you skip to 1:25 on this video you can see the first VQ ticket machines for Oblivion that were introduced in 1999, they were indeed collected from outside the Black Hole.

Nerdsticks and Matt N like this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  12. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

And if you skip a little earlier to 1:10, you can find an interview with the man who went on to to become Alton's current head of maintenance.

MaxPower, Nerdsticks, Matt N and 2 others like this.
    Posted 6th Aug 2021
  13. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

That building next to the entrance to Oblivion is still used for lockers. I always assumed that hut was used for free fastrack at some point?

Posted 8th Aug 2021
  14. George Williams

George Williams TowersStreet Member

What's up with oblivions queue lately, when I was there a couple months ago it was very overstated I'm guessing that's still the same as it's quite consistently getting the same queue time as the smiler

Matt N and JAperson like this.
  15. JAperson

Like you say I think it seems to always be overstated. My experience was the same earlier in the year. I think we waited about 15 minutes and the queue said 45 minutes. I really don't know why but oblivion seems to be the worst for queue overstating.

Matt N likes this.
  16. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Out of interest, why is it that all of Oblivion's staff wear safety harnesses? As far as I'm aware, no other staff in the park do...

Also, a few interesting observations I made regarding Oblivion on my recent trip were:
    • Awesome operations today! On one station, cars were being hammered out about every minute and 30 seconds, leading to a throughput of around 633pph. That's excellent, especially given that the ride was running 4 cars/one station!
    • Restraints were being checked twice today. This happened on no other ride, and I've never seen it on Oblivion before, as far as I can remember.
    • One station lowers the throughput by less than I'd thought. I thought one station halved the throughput, but it actually only lowered it by around 1/3; on one station, I clocked the throughput at 600-650pph, while it was a touch below 900pph on two the previous day. One station does notably slow the queue down, but the throughput dent is not as profound as I'd thought! Although I guess the staff could have felt a greater degree of urgency to dispatch on one station than on two, thus increasing the per-station throughput... they were working really hard on there today!

Skyscraper and JAperson like this.
  17. JAperson

Probably because of people like this:
    It allows them to get there quicker and get the ride running again. It also means if the ride actually breaks down the staff can get there quickly rather then having to fiddle around with harnesses.

18. jon81uk

Steepness or style of the lift hill I think. Colossus at Thorpe also always has someone in a harness.

Skyscraper, Matt N and Alsty like this.
  19. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

I would simply say that it's poor operations on 2 stations. You'd think in theory the throughput would double, but the other day when it was on 2 there was just no urgency or efficiency from the staff. Whereas like you said if its on 1 station they may feel the pressure to get the trains moving quicker. If it was run properly on 2 stations, they could easily reach 1000 or more per hour. If its getting less, especially less than 900 as you noted, then that's really poor. I guess with a ride like Oblivion it doesn't really matter though as it never gets much of a queue anyway

Matt N likes this.
  20. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    *digs out throughput graph*
    [​IMG]

So on two stations there was an extra 40+ seconds of faff per dispatch. There's no reason why it should take that much longer.
    They've always worn them since it opened. Oblivion has a steep lift hill and so it's necessary to wear a fall arrest harness when climbing.

I'm not sure about other rides like The Smiler though. I think the lift has anchor points for one but I don't recall staff wearing them routinely.

JAperson, Skyscraper and Matt N like this.