• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion's twin

Just watched a few videos of Oblivion and it doesn't have the different ties. Maybe G5 has them because it's set further up off the ground and requires a few more ties in areas? That's just an uneducated guess though. :p

I would imagine that the odd spacing is for support of the track, as it is present where the drop of this coaster begins to straighten out as well, another point of high stress on the track, and on Oblivion, at this point the track is connected to the ground so it wouldn't need the extra support, hence why the extra ties aren't present on Oblivion here, whereas this one is not on the ground so the track might need extra support.

Edit: Looking at the video, they are also there on the pullout of the drop, another area of high stress, so I'm quite sure they are there to strengthen the track :)

The odd thing is, this looks like it would terrify me more than Oblivion.

Though I put that down to the fact it's on a cliff face mostly.

Whilst impressive, and definitely showing off the colossal size the Oblivion really is - that is traditional "wow that's high" scary.

It suits it's surroundings perfectly, and the cars look tiny on that track. In such beautiful surroundings Oblivion's style would look wrong.

But, at that point, it is just another dive machine.

Oblivion isn't.

BigAl said:
Height isn't everything, and I thought Sheikra demonstrated that perfectly. Oblivion offers a much more intimidating ride, and the theming and landscaping really do make a big difference (shame you usually walk past most of the videos now). Sheikra felt less forceful and the impact that the height has on you didn't really stay with me.

But I guess most people will just say that bigger is better, etc....

I actually disagree, with a vertical drop I think visible height does make a massive difference. I appreciate Oblivion for what it is, but give me a Sheikra/Griffon/200ft+ above ground any day.

Sheikra was no more forceful than Swarm to me, and once you're up there it didn't really feel massively tall. Dropping into a narrow hole in the ground that's covered in mist is just a little more interesting to me than the straightforward drop down to the ground and back up again. The second vertical drop is far, far better on Sheikra for me as it offers some neat head choppers and you get a nice kick of air as you pop over the edge into the drop.

Overall it's a fun ride but Oblivion still does the job better in my opinion. :p