• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oktoberfest 2023

I’m not going to list the differences between Munich’s Oktoberfest and Alton Towers’s, suffice to say one doesn’t charge an entry fee or feature a Darwin the Dodo show. It’s a false equivalence.

There are only two shows that could be considered mildly Oktoberfest-eque, if you’re generous. The remainder consist of regular shows with some faux German names and lederhosen. There is absolutely no reason why they couldn’t mix up the variety. Some of the Mardi Gras entertainment demonstrates that they can obtain a diverse range of musicians, so why not switch up the lineup, rather than run what are essentially the same shows year after year?

Was on park today and this evening and honestly got to say this was event was brilliant. Though the biggest shame was the opening times! At 7pm when the entertainment finished the lawns were full of punters all still enjoying the festivities. I understand that they would need to pay staff later but at least on a Saturday night they could have opened till later.

I’m hoping next year we see later opening times on the weekend. I don’t think it would be too much staffing wise with pay and the money they’d make on merch and f&b would be astronomical! They could fund bringing back ERT with the money made on them £7 pints! 😉

Great day at Oktoberfest on Saturday, always seems to be such a good atmosphere on park. Ents were great as always, from the roaming characters to the performers on stage. It'd be nice to see a bit more variation come next year, but I don't think things need any sort of major change when the lawns are jam packed at the end of the day.

The central bit on the lawns was a nice change, and looked great with the photo ops and seating away from the lines of benches in front of the stage. Nice to see the new Laugh and Scream beer as something unique, although it was a bit plain in comparison to some proper craft stuff that I'd have preferred Towers to have asked for. It was a shame to see a lack of wheat beer though, would've been nice to have that as an option.

Food wise, a bit of praise for Aramark here as they now get the standard outlets involved in themed foods as well as the outlets which are brought in on the lawns. Flammkuchen was available as an option in pizza/pasta - although it perplexes me why they don't offer it as a takeaway option too. They did it over covid, so surely they could make efforts to do so for the event as well? I wasn't keen on forking out for the full buffet to try it, as it's always a bit too much stodge for a day on park for me. It seems like a missed opportunity to make some money from customers who just want something quick and it's ultimately pretty cheap to make.

What I did try though is the bratwurst at the hot dog kiosk by the courtyard. £8 or £6.40 with annual pass discount, so a fair bit cheaper than the kiosks who don't offer discount, and ended up being substantially nicer than the ones from there too. Sure it wasn't cooked on a proper grill like the outlets (they were using George Foreman style grills to cook them out back), but it ended up being really quite decent. A standard hot dog bun, but topped off with sauerkraut, crispy onions and curry ketchup - really well presented with Oktoberfest themed paper. No photos since I was slightly inebriated by this point and far too hungry, but I felt it was really decent value and tasty as well.

So despite all the Aramark doom and gloom, they are capable of doing some decent stuff. It'll be interesting to see how this develops as time goes on, and whether the likes of Carvery Grill will continue to be brought in to run these external outlets. Or, if Aramark will be starting to run these/develop more permanent additions which can be re themed to each event instead. The bratwurst stand in the courtyard is a prime example, a mad addition when the courtyard bbq could be brought back into use instead.

I really hope the opening hours are amended back next year. I can't help but feel the issues with rides opening late are hampering any sort of attempt at pushing opening hours back later, as it only exacerbates issues the next morning. If they can get that sorted, then hopefully we'll see a return to some later opening in 2024. It's a shame there's all that lighting put to very little use at present!

One thing I'm really pleased with is that this feels like the best year for both Oktoberfest and Mardi Gras. They counter each other really well in terms of entertainment, event content and the differing locations at opposite ends of the season. Both have been thoroughly enjoyable visits this year, and I'm glad they have their own clear identities - they don't feel like a rehash of each other. Not that they ever felt like that over the past couple of years, but this year feels like the most positive step in the right direction (opening hours for Oktoberfest aside).

Really looking forward to Fireworks now! It's just a shame there's the matter of that stale event that sits in between...

Looking forward to my Oktoberfest visit on Friday. Last year was a washout on our visit for we didn’t get to watch any of the shows on the main stage. We usually do, but just had to make use of quiet rides really. Hoping it’s extra good this year as our visit this week actually falls on my birthday 🥳I’ll be sure to report back on what I think of the event set up this time, hopefully the entertainment and being well, and ops and rides in the relevant threads

One thing I'm really pleased with is that this feels like the best year for both Oktoberfest and Mardi Gras. They counter each other really well in terms of entertainment, event content and the differing locations at opposite ends of the season. Both have been thoroughly enjoyable visits this year, and I'm glad they have their own clear identities - they don't feel like a rehash of each other. Not that they ever felt like that over the past couple of years, but this year feels like the most positive step in the right direction (opening hours for Oktoberfest aside).

Really looking forward to Fireworks now! It's just a shame there's the matter of that stale event that sits in between...
I visited with friends for Mardi Gras and we all really enjoyed our day. Such a great atmosphere in the hot June sun. Oktoberfest is looking great this year, but my next visit will be on Friday 3rd nov for fireworks. Hopefully will see and meet a few of my fellow TS friends there!

I’m bringing my mum and dad along as well. Mum hasn’t visited since the old macdonald farm days, and dad hasn’t been since 2004. I’m looking forward to showing them around and showing them what’s changed - for better or for worse.

Don't understand everyone praising the ents.

The oompah band were great.

A lady going " DUH DUH DUH DUH" to Seven Nation Army? Not quite.

Some varierty of acts and musicians with some vague German acts would be nice.

Oktoberfest Rave? No.

You mean Seven Nation Army that's hugely popular in Germany and is played in a lot of the tents in Munich and at pretty much every other Oktoberfest event elsewhere? That aside though, the bottom line is it's a singalong song to get people joining in. As for vague German acts, you're not going to get the crowd dancing to random schlager tracks they don't know the words to. It needs to be stuff that keeps everyone, including kids entertained - hence the Darwin show. Just take a look at the front of the stage when these acts are on - kids are up there absolutely loving it.

You've still got some more heavily German themed stuff with the Oompah Party band and Robert Burton's accordion act. Top that off with everyone else in their Oktoberfest costumes, the food and the surrounding theming, it's a good "inspired by" event that's adapted to the Towers market. Sure it might not be to some people's liking if you're wanting an exact mirror of the authentic Oktoberfest event, but why would you even try when that's on a whole different level? The number of people on the lawns enjoying themselves when these acts are on demonstrates they're getting the mix right in my view.

I like to think of it as similar to Fireworks. As enthusiasts we might want a shed load of original music and a detailed story for the event. But instead the park go for a bit of a backstory and lots of pop songs to get people dancing. It might not be our preference, but the park has to cater to the whole audience and you only have to look at the social media comments each and every year to see that they're getting that right.

I've got to echo want Craig and Danny have said with regards to Oktoberfest, and also Mardi Gras. Both have been thoroughly enjoyable events that should set the benchmark for what we want going forward.

I was slightly worried about Oktobefest, what with the hours being cut and the event already being a firm favourite. But hours aside, it was my favourite Oktoberfest yet! When on the lawns we spent out time by the stage, but having a more relaxed seating area in the middle of the lawns for those that didn't want to be fully involved with the action was a really good idea. Also two bars now on the lawns which was nice to see.

I probably would not have had one due to prolonged drinking, but it would have been nice to see a wheat beer alongside Spaten and the pilsner they had. Maybe a supply issue or maybe the wheat beer didn't sell too well last year. Being able to get a bratwurst with all the trimmings from Towers food outlet, meaning discount, was a real bonus!

I thought the entertainment was, on the whole, fantastic! Robert Burton is just a legend; although leaning here, there and everywhere whilst standing up and down was a bit of a workout! Also kudos for all of the crowd interaction from various acts, *cough* Proud Mary *cough*. The roaming ents are always hilarious at Oktoberfest too!

So yes, just bring back the 7pm ride close at weekends next year please! And long may this event thrive.

I think there’s truth in both sides, in that the shows themselves (whilst perhaps a little stale after a few years) are a reasonable mix of themes for the audience intended. At the same time there are certainly some of them which have some variable talent levels performing them.

What I found surprising was that the monorail shuts before the entertainment ends, meaning a long slog back to the car park and a bitter taste in the mouth at the end of the day.

watched a couple of shows yesterday, just want to say Robert Burton the accordionist was great again, he is a joy to watch really. Watched his show for the last 4 years and still really enjoy it.

I was at Towers last weekend and I echo what @Craig and @Rob have said. It's a fantastic event which is getting better year on year, and Towers have well and truly put their twist on the Oktoberfest festival. I'm glad it is done like it is with a mix of German themes and "holiday park" VIBES (mainly the lawns stage has that). There is no point trying to completely imitate a real German Oktoberfest event because it could never be done in this country. So the next best thing is for Towers to put their own spin on it and create the unique event we have. I guess its a bit like theme parks trying to imitate Halloween Horror Nights at Universal (Thorpe Park maybe?) - why copy - be unique and original.

Oh and hats off to all the roaming actors - The monks, Herr Gone (bald guy with the horn), Tick Tock (clockmaker), bubbles (woman with a stein full of bubbles) and an old chap (no idea what his name was!). All of them were superb; the highlight for me was when the Monks came over and sat with me, my daughter and her friend asking how we were. They spotted the line drawing of the Tardis that my daughter has tattooed on her ankle and proceeded to have a conversation about Doctor Who with us, Herr Gone and Tik Tock while all keeping in character. So funny, especially when the male monk said her tattoo looked like a portaloo. Now he's mentioned it, it does look like one. Then my daughter said that she had a video of me carrying the monk's barrel from last year. She couldn't find it so the Monks came back 10 minutes later with the barrel and made me carry it again so she could video it!

This made me chuckle - here's a vlog I found from last Saturday with the vloggers talking at the start of the day all bright and alert. And then here they are near the end, clearly a few pints in (watch to 11:04).

Also, here's a playlist of clips from parts of the last hour or so of Saturday night's entertainment along with at clip of me carrying the barrel!

From: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8lyjbnmcHi7Ekcoqa19FplGQxt3fQ579
EDIT: Why is the forum putting VIBES in capitals even though I'm not typing them as such?

What time do the shows end and are the food outlets open until the very end?
Shows on the main stage go on for an hour after ride close and yeah the food outlets do stay open as far as I know but I guess they start to pack up probably 10-15 mins before the end.

EDIT: Why is the forum putting VIBES in capitals even though I'm not typing them as such?
It's an inside joke by the TS team, since the VIBES Var and Grill opened at Thorpe. The forum software automatically capitalises that word when used.