• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oktoberfest 2023

Steve74

TS Member
Seeing as there was a 2020, 2021 and 2022 thread, I thought I'd make one for this years event. Anyone seen any pics of any prep work? All I've seen is that the stage is already up in the courtyard.

I'm just curious, why do they have the event on the front lawns instead of infront of the towers like with mardi gras?

I'm just curious, why do they have the event on the front lawns instead of infront of the towers like with mardi gras?
Space I guess as they have all the picnic tables laid out in lines like a bierkeller. Plus they have firepits too and I presume they expect the area to get busier than Mardi Gras when the entertainment runs for an hour after rides close.

I think one of the main reasons Mardi Gras is on the other side of the lake is to give the main lawn chance to recover and grow from the previous autumn & winter events when all the temporary flooring is laid down and based on how they had it laid out this year, I think it works really well in front of the Towers.

You also don't want every event to feel the same. The lawns are a perfect location for Oktoberfest, whereas in front of the Towers with a Food Street concept works really well for Mardi Gras.

Very much looking forward to Oktoberfest next weekend, and sampling some Alton Beer!

For anyone interested, the show times have been added to the app under the ‘what’s on today’ section.

IMG_5459.jpeg

Last edited:
Well there we go, we knew it already but confirmation of a 6pm ride close for the event at weekends. A shame that there is to be a regression, especially with all that Bianca has been saying so far this year at looking to make quick wins and improve events etc. I understand that guest numbers are down this year and they are probably finding it difficult to justify a 7pm ride close. However Alton Towers take the risk-free option too often.

This really is so disappointing.

Well there we go, we knew it already but confirmation of a 6pm ride close for the event at weekends. A shame that there is to be a regression, especially with all that Bianca has been saying so far this year at looking to make quick wins and improve events etc. I understand that guest numbers are down this year and they are probably finding it difficult to justify a 7pm ride close. However Alton Towers take the risk-free option too often.

This really is so disappointing.
Lets hope they see the error of their ways this weekend and increase it back to 7pm next weekend ready for my visit!

The hours for event overall haven’t reduced. Whilst the Saturdays have gone from 7pm to 6pm which I accept is not ideal, the last week of Oktoberfest in 2022 was 4pm closes and this year they are 5pm - so overall in terms of the number of hours the park is open across the entire event it balances out.

This is against a backdrop of visitor numbers seemingly down across all parks this year, and the fact the park have felt the need to reduce the prebook price on weekends by 11% (£44pp down to £39pp) whilst inflation is running at 7%.

They will already be taking a hit on the bottom line versus last year, so holding overheads will be costing them.

Now if the park is stacked today and the numbers should warrant a 7pm close then that is a different matter. But if numbers are down on last year (following the trend of the rest of the season), then the decision doesn’t seem too outrageous.

I think in the case of this event it isn't overall park hours that are the issue.

But for an Oktobrfest event you really need to open into the evening.

11am to 7pm would probably be alright, with entertainment running later.

For anyone that visited today - what’s the scoop on pint prices? The £7 pints at Summer of Fun made me wince so I need to ready myself

I’m glad Octoberfest is looking overall better with theming and placing. Doesn’t seem as cheap with random crap plonked around, like some of the other events this year.

Great to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Oktoberfest risks becoming the new Scarefest. Barring some additional photo ops, there isn’t a great deal of change from last year. The shows are pretty much identical and the event seems to have reached a stasis or has arguably taken a step backwards when you look at the beer selection and opening hours.

The shows are pretty much identical

I imagine the pool of Oompa bands and German style entertainers available to book within the UK isn't huge though? Does the style of Munich Oktoberfest change much year on year? The decrease in beer selections, price increases and opening hour changes is probably worse than the entertainment not changing? Although they probably should aim to have one new show produced in house each year for Oktoberfest and Scarefest.