• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Old Rides VS New Rides & Experiences Poll

According to the details in the OP, what park do you choose?

• Oh no, not another stupid poll!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Alton Who Now?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I hate Alton Towers

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Park 2: Alton Towers 2012

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Park 1: Alton Towers 1994

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
mrbrightside said:
"Old Rides VS New Rides & Experiences"

Whatever :)
[/quote]

Er

OP Quote:
Also, consider queues today, fast track, and all the other rubbish presently being shoveled at us by Merlin - and put that up against, a more open park, a better atmosphere (arguably), and the ability to re-ride without getting off multiple times!

Crikey mate, why so pedantic? We have different views, fair enough, but don't part quote mate to try and make me look an idiot.

I wasn't part quoting you. I was quoting your topic title. Therefore my argument was based around the line up of 2012 being far superior to that of 1994. Which is what my idea of this discussion is :)

The Psychoaster said:
Had to go with 2012. The price would be pretty much the same with BOGOF and the ride lineup is much better today IMO. It's not a difficult call in terms of what I'd take between Thunderlooper and Oblivion - they're both one trick but let's face it, we all know which was the superior one trick. The only ride I'd rather didn't go was the Black Hole - but that's just an unfortunate sacrifice which, let's face it, is being replaced in spectacular fashion anyway.

As far as I recall you got BOGOFS back then too, and with parking etc, hence I was saying take it as Apples V Apples.

Oblivion is without question superior nowadays, but it's the relative experience I'm talking about. How it made you feel then, and now, rather than up against each other in technology. They don't, they can't compare lol! That's why I'm being picky at not going ride against ride. It is the experiences they gave you then, and now, as whole parks.

I mentioned that I think they may well have a worthy successor to BH, that isn't going to be easy to do. Glad they chose something dark and a bit mysterious to keep a similar tone. SW7 does indeed look fantastic. Again though, it isn't here yet ;D

mrbrightside said:
I wasn't part quoting you. I was quoting your topic title. Therefore my argument was based around the line up of 2012 being far superior to that of 1994. Which is what my idea of this discussion is :)

Dude I seriously don't get your point. The point of the OP, is to go into more detail. The detail explained this clearly, and I've done so since.

Mate, I don't get it sorry.

TheMan said:
mrbrightside said:

Dude I seriously don't get your point. The point of the OP, is to go into more detail. The detail explained this clearly, and I've done so since.

Mate, I don't get it sorry.
Right. Your topic title is "Old Rides vs New Rides & Experiences" - which I, and others, have taken to mean that you are comparing the 1994 line up of rides on park with the 2012 line up of rides on park. Hence why I have been saying 2012 is far superior to 1994 because its line up of rides is of far greater variety and quality.

All of the other factors which you mention are fairly incomparable as they are purely opinion based (such as opinions on magic, upselling, fastrack and so on). Although it is opinion over which ride line up you like best, at least the rides themselves are sitting their as physical evidence xD

Basically my point once again is that if we were judging the park purely on ride line-ups, 2012 would win hands down.

Simples :)

So why have other people mentioned atmosphere, and struggled to chose, or recognised a fusion of the two would probably be perfect?

I don't even know why I'm debating this with you, it's in my post - not only this, the poll is Park 1 Park 2.

The technology wins from 2012, well, no surprises there really is there lol?

The New Mini is better then yeah? More comfortable, nicer gadgets, relatively more expensive. Find me an old mini owner than agrees. There is more to this than ride technology.

Come on mate, do me a favour. Even if there was a question over what I meant in the thread, I'd say it's rather clear now, no?

In it's day, was the 94 park better, than the relative 2012 park of today?

I still say yes, but of course the modern line up of coasters is technically better, I should flaming well hope it is too lol! It's like, a non question, but anyone in doubt I hope I cleared that up now.

For me, Park 1 was cheaper, better atmosphere, and the rides at the time were equivalent better than what we have now. It had arguably one of the world's best rides, right up there at the time. The year NEMESIS WAS NEW mate! When you add everything else in too, nothing compares right now.

This was Alton Towers Golden year.

SW7 and more focus on the park experience in general, and that balance may well just tip the other way for me though.

TheMan said:
mrbrightside said:
VickyLeigh83 said:
I would take 1994. I would give anything to be able to ride Thunder Looper again! (Although I would miss Blivvy :()

This is how I feel, imagine if they bought TL back! I too though, would miss Blivvy - it's a hard call between those two isn't it?!
It is. I could be wrong but I'm getting the impression that a few people here that are voting for the 2012 never experienced TL or the BH. Don't get me wrong I love AT now, particularly Blivvy and Nemmy. But I really would give anything to go back in time even if it was just for a one off...

TheMan said:
So why have other people mentioned atmosphere, and struggled to chose, or recognised a fusion of the two would probably be perfect?

I don't even know why I'm debating this with you, it's in my post - not only this, the poll is Park 1 Park 2.

The technology wins from 2012, well, no surprises there really is there lol?

The New Mini is better then yeah? More comfortable, nicer gadgets, relatively more expensive. Find me an old mini owner than agrees. There is more to this than ride technology.

Come on mate, do me a favour. Even if there was a question over what I meant in the thread, I'd say it's rather clear now, no?

In it's day, was the 94 park better, than the relative 2012 park of today?

I still say yes, but of course the modern line up of coasters is technically better, I should flaming well hope it is too lol! It's like, a non question, but anyone in doubt I hope I cleared that up now.

For me, Park 1 was cheaper, better atmosphere, and the rides at the time were equivalent better than what we have now. It had arguably one of the world's best rides, right up there at the time. The year NEMESIS WAS NEW mate! When you add everything else in too, nothing compares right now.

This was Alton Towers Golden year.

SW7 and more focus on the park experience in general, and that balance may well just tip the other way for me though.

Wait. The topic title points towards this topic being solely about the rides in 1994 and 2012. Yet this post seems to be swaying towards it being about atmosphere and the park? Both are completely different things, so are we still discussing rides? Or does this topic include the atmosphere? Sorry if I've mis-read your post.

If we were to look at atmosphere then 1994 wins hands down. If we were to look at the park as a whole, it's something that could be debated and go either way. If we were to look at just the rides, ignoring every other aspect of the park then 2012 wins hands down. Not due to the technology. But due to the wide variety of choices now available.

I'm just somewhat confused if the topic is about:
1. Old/new rides
2. The old/new atmosphere
3. The old/new park, as a package

All three are very different and can be discussed differently, I'm a little confused as which one this topic is talking about.

the rides on the park today, are technically better than 1994 due to advances in ride technology. So if we are talking ride it should be ride experience.

To answer the mans question. I like todays line up of ride, but i would love the magic of 1994 back :D

Right some seem confused, others get my meaning. Given that, I will clarify.

It is about the park in relative terms. Would you take the ride line up, and all it's incumbent associations ie:

Atmosphere, Pricing, Ride line up etc - essentially your park experience back then, it's not fair to put the two sets of rides against each other technology wise as there's no contest, I admit I took people would understand that as a given.

VS The modern park, twice the price, queues, fast track, up selling, atmosphere and are the relative rides (for their time) actually better now?

So which park is better, for it's time. The ride line up is critical because there were some brilliant rides, that coupled with the rest of the considerations make Park 1 better for me.

Park 2 (now), has far more potential available to it - but feels completely different.

SW7 fulfilling it's potential, and improved customer experience/value and my vote changes though.

Apologies for the confusion.

Oooh the poll is so close!!!

I have a rough target of votes for it to reach before I declare a "winner" if you like.

I thought in fairness Park 2 would absolutely monster my beloved Park 1.

I'd imagine those who experienced Park 1 are also vastly outnumbered!

Any people who visited in '94, that isn't nostalgic about the park back then? And those who are, what would you do to today's park, to bring that certain something back, that is without doubt now missing?

Thanks for all the replies/votes again :) - really enjoying the debate!

Can you imagine taking the old Coaster Corner and putting all the classics back in? Thunderlooper, Black Hole, Corky, and The New Beast? I reckon you could build that corner for a few million. 6/7 million well themed.

You'd get that if I owned the park, it would be Classics Corner ;D

Oh and for those who haven't checked it out before:

Here is the beautiful Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop at Alton Towers!

Thunder Looper:

ESshut18.jpg

She's a beauty - if you follow this link...

CLICKY

...you will find more pictures of Alton's awesome Thunder Looper! On one of the pics, you will notice the "Jumbo" Jet Star 3 (The New Beast), and the Monorail in the back ground also!

:)

As good as Air is (even though I am not a fan), take that over these two rides?

NAAAAAAAAAAH!

You can have AIR, I'll have these two and keep the change to buy another 5 classics ta! ;D

I'd say the sweet spot would be somewhere in the middle, probably about 2002. The park had a much better atmosphere, was better themed and maintained and there's no ride that's been added since then that I would particularly miss. I suppose that says a lot about my thoughts on the quality of the additions over the last decade.

All of the B&Ms were there, Black Hole and Toyland Tours were still around, Ug Land was still good, the Flume didn't have the bath theming, Hex was still shiny and new and Haunted House had not yet become Duel.

Out of the two options, I would love to visit the park in 94 just to experience Nemesis' opening year and get on the rides I'd missed. However, overall I'd have to go with the park today. I would miss Hex, Oblivion, Air and TT. It would also be 1994 which would mean I'd have to wait years for my favorite coasters to be built and I'd be 18 years older now which would make me very old indeed.

CGM said:
. It would also be 1994 which would mean I'd have to wait years for my favorite coasters to be built and I'd be 18 years older now which would make me very old indeed.

I was really at the beginning of my coaster enthusiasm when Nemmy was opened. When that is the first major development you're exposed to, you can imagine the standards you come to expect lol!

Oblivion and The Swarm are the only two that have done it in all those years. Saw is quite clever really, Th13teen a bit illogical/mish mashed (though I still think it's a clever and enjoyable ride).

Air would be a totally different ride if it was themed well.

I didn't follow Nemesis' build either, Forums etc were literally non existent, I just turned up and it was there! In all it's shiny, terrifying glory! The only 3 coasters that have taken as much bottle to ride since are: Stealth, Oblivion, PMBO (I have vertigo - so you can see why lol!)

Ironically, they with Nemmy and now Swarm are my fave modern coasters. :)

Compare the level of external theming on Thunder Looper, New Beast and Black Hole and tell me that walking around the park looked more magical in 1994 than it does today...

The park was more balanced, and airy if you like. The parks are about more than just theming, but it's obviously taken on a far higher importance now that technology has moved on also.

Nemmy raised that bar!

I cannot argue with the fact there is way more theming now, that's very true, and some of it pretty decent too. However, bits of painted plastic and fibreglass alone do not an atmosphere maketh.

You're the main reason I have way more faith in SW7 now Mag, so I certainly respect your viewpoints. I am however clearly not alone in how I feel about this overall, even though I'm perhaps the most vocal about it haha ;)

Your point is a valid one none the less.

A shameless poke in the arm for my poll ;D

Remember there's no right or wrong answer, the idea wasn't really to have an "I'm right because of..." debate, more of an "I feel this about the park at this time, because...."

No one is right or wrong on this, including me - I've perhaps ended up in more debates on this than I wanted to. So from now on focus more on your experiences and why you like the park experience/ride combo in either in '94 or '12, of course feel free to debate these points, but on your initial opinions focus on what you liked, rather than why anyone else is wrong about theirs.

It's also quite easy to tell why people would like it more nowadays. A little harder perhaps to define a more seemingly abstract , almost conceptual appreciation of where the park was, in '94.

So pop a tick in your favourite box folks! I'm really not bothered what that is, just interested in finding out :)

All the best,
TheMan

(Oh and thanks to the 8 miserables ;) who voted for not another miserable poll hahaha - I love how you took the effort to actually vote for it too hahaha! :D )

>> Edit >> Sazzle >> removed bad language hidden behind asterisks.