• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Overrated (but still great) coasters...?

Wodan seems to receive untold amounts of love and whilst I think it’s pretty decent there’s definitely better rides. This applies equally to the queue.

I'd agree with most of Dan's, but also Bizarro at SFNE. A repeated winner of the Mitch Hawker poll, I was expecting it to be one of my absolute top coasters, but it's just not as amazing as I was hoping.

The Swarm
The sustained forces around the helicopter turn and first drop are amazing, but the inversions are taken very slowly and it feels far too short to be a complete package.

Nemesis

Nemesis is of course a fantastic coaster, the terrain landscaping is class and it's so intense - but for me, it's too short to have the "best coaster" appeal that it does for many.

A couple here, the first of which I wholey expect to get flayed alive for:
  • Troy, Toverland - After quite literally years of driving past and not stopping off we found overselves at Toverland on last year’s international meet. I’ve been longing to ride Troy since first hearing about it. It seemed to be a ride which earns nothing but glowing praise. However, coming off I honestly didn’t know what to make of it. The ride is solid, there’s no denying that. But is it overhyped? I think so. What probably doesn’t help is that much of the hype arose before the likes of Wodan were built. Maybe since then GCIs have moved on a bit, so riding Wodan first set me up for disappointment?..
  • Stealth, Thorpe Park - Another ride which I think gets bandied around a lot as being incredible. The launch is absolutely fantastic and packs a real punch. However, I just can’t escape the fact that it doesn’t really do much after it. It’s a bit of a one-trick pony for me.
  • Blue Fire, Europa Park - Similar reasons as others have listed really. It’s a wonderful piece of engineering (once I managed to ride it un-staples!), and a very fun coaster to ride. The quality doesn’t necessarily make a first class ride though (something numerous lacklustre B&Ms have proved).
  • Dragon’s Fury, Chessington - Maybe not so much around these parts, but there (certainly used to be) a lot of people who’d say this is one of the best spinning coasters out there. I’ve never really considered it to be one of them. If anything I probably find Spinball on par if not a little better. It’s leagues ahead of Dizz (surely the worst spinner out there?!), but by no means incredible.

I wouldn't sat DF is the "best spinner out there" ... just better than Spinball. ;)

Best spinner I've done would be Galaxy Orbiter.

Best spinner I've done is Cobra's Curse. Very smooth in general. I don't really see the love for Maurer spinners, as Spinball really jerks you forward into the lap bar on each block brake. It's horrible!

Wodan seems to receive untold amounts of love and whilst I think it’s pretty decent there’s definitely better rides. This applies equally to the queue.

I'm with you on this. I like Wodan, and I admire how furious it's become over the years, but I find the layout a little uninspiring. While I think they did a great job of working with the space available, it lacks any moments of real airtime to balance out the intense curves. I also find the queue sweaty and claustrophobic, even when it clips along as it's usual pace.

Also echoing the sentiments of everyone else who has correctly identified The Swarm as a big pile of nothing.

Nemesis[/B]
Nemesis is of course a fantastic coaster, the terrain landscaping is class and it's so intense - but for me, it's too short to have the "best coaster" appeal that it does for many.

I wasnt as brave as you to put this one forward first. But I agree! I love it, I just find it way too short and it's lost some of its magic now that theres no more red waterfalls and the pit is overgrown with weeds.

I don't really think the Swarm deserves as much criticism as it often gets, personally. It packs a good punch, has a unique seating arrangement, a great storyline and great theming! Best coaster at Thorpe for me!

I could probably agree with Nemesis. It is great, the best coaster in the UK, but top 10 in the world (as it has often been ranked)? Not for me.

:)

Wow, this just shows how jaded we've all become with Towers. I never thought I'd see the day when people were openly slating Nemesis.

People have been doing it for ages, though I think that's mostly so that they can be 'edgy' because they go against the grain...

I don't think it's that big of a thing really, Nemesis like any coaster will divide opinions regardless of whether it's highly rated by the majority.

Exactly; this thread is about coasters people regard highly but maybe not quite as highly as others do or have done. If anyone claimed Nemesis was anything less than good then they'd need a long look at themselves in the mirror, but they've not as that's not the point of this thread!

:)

More referring to people who say more that it's 'rubbish', that is being edgy...

Though I bet Icon will fit this thread upon opening ;)

Flyers have been mentioned already, but for me Tatsu is the one. There's no denying it is an excellent and impressive coaster which starts very well, but the overly forceful and tight manoeuvres that make up the bulk of the layout really don't do it for me in comparison to the more genital sweeping motions of Air. It's just not the feeling I want from a flyer.
I find it quite uncomfortable and unnatural being forced into your restraint on your chest in that way, and he huge fly to lye to fly loop is just downright unpleasant.

Last edited:
Dare I say it but Oblivion in my eyes is over rated. Yes is technically brilliant and well themed but it really is a one trick pony.