• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours 2014

All sounds good but your forgetting the staff who have to work the longer hours, and with the uncertainty of what time they will be finishing - will it be 5 , or 8 for example. Then its the local residents, noise late into the evening, traffic etc.

Im not disagreeing with what your saying, having the ability to chill and have a meal and drink overlooking the towers before heading home is a great idea, but it wont happen.

Thorpe's summer nights was fantastic, but, the park was dead and if I recall, even then there wasnt a restaurant open to sit indoors and have food - plus they dont have residents around them, and their surrounding roads arent the lanes around Alton.

djtruefitt said:
Towers family restaurant is very much in need of a refurbishment, gut the whole lot out and start again! It says a lot when its only open for 2 hours in the morning for breakfast then its closed for the rest of the day.

I would knock the whole lot out in side and turn it into a pub style bar (think weatherspoons), one section can be drinks and relaxing area, the other section food. Nothing to fancy, just weatherspoons style menu, you find a table, order at bar, they bring you food. None of this school canteen style or anything that it has now. The outside area can be done up with nice furniture and heaters and then it can open late after park close.

Coffee corner also needs a complete refit, it just needs to be made modern, like a starbucks or costa coffee. I'm surprised it hasn't (as far as im aware) had any work done to it over the winter season with CBeebies opening up next door.

As much as both outlets are tired the last thing we need is bland affair similar to Weatherspoons or Starbucks.

It's a theme park not the high street! We need something exciting and escapist.

GaryH said:
All sounds good but your forgetting the staff who have to work the longer hours, and with the uncertainty of what time they will be finishing - will it be 5 , or 8 for example. Then its the local residents, noise late into the evening, traffic etc.

Im not disagreeing with what your saying, having the ability to chill and have a meal and drink overlooking the towers before heading home is a great idea, but it wont happen.

Thorpe's summer nights was fantastic, but, the park was dead and if I recall, even then there wasnt a restaurant open to sit indoors and have food - plus they dont have residents around them, and their surrounding roads arent the lanes around Alton.

Ill agree with everything on this post. Im happy that someone else is looking after the staff. Its ok saying be flexible with the hours, I work for a company that can keep staff back at a moments notice and ill tell you this, the moral of the staff especially if its busy is rock bottom, if your working long days in a mundane job, then told sorry kids do an extra hour. You wouldn't be happy.

Then there is the Farley residence issue. AT aren't very popular with them as it is, without upsetting them even more. Lets face facts AT is awful to get to and even worse to leave.

I think you are all right n saying they should be this that and the other in regarding opening times. Nobody likes last orders in Britain, even just be able to leave at a leisure pace. Have some grub........sit in gardens and lawn etc, would be ideal. But like most places during summer, people just want to get home after a long day in the sun. As a business sense it could work, if done right KERCHING, but this AT.

If staff don't want extra hours in these financially challenged times, I would be very surprised.

Major resorts around Europe open far, far later than Alton Towers and the staff there seem to manage.

In my original post, I am hardly suggesting they open till the dead of night... it's only 30-60 minutes extra on most weekend/holiday dates... nothing crazy.

Also Chris - I don't think Mike is suggesting an ACTUAL Spoons on Towers Street. Merely somewhere that operates in that style. Pub/Restaurant food, bar service.

Such a development, open for 2-3 hours after the rides closed, would hardly cause major traffic problems in Farley and Alton. If anything, it would stagger it far more thus reducing congestion!!!!

GaryH said:

Other theme parks in the UK and around the world seem to deal quite fine with uncertain closures. I don't see why Towers would not be able to manage the same thing. Given most of the staff at Towers are on low wages then an extra hour or three would probably be quite welcoming to them!

I think maybe as a starting point Towers could perhaps set some numbers for closing the theme park during busy periods. So if guest figures on the day hit a certain number then the park stays open longer. Maybe give it 4 or 5 hours before the original closure to inform staff around the park (as communication is all over the place at the theme park).

Staff work on 0 hour contracts at Towers so really extra hours, less hours etc.. is to be expected when applying for jobs there now!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
djtruefitt said:
Towers family restaurant is very much in need of a refurbishment, gut the whole lot out and start again! It says a lot when its only open for 2 hours in the morning for breakfast then its closed for the rest of the day.

I would knock the whole lot out in side and turn it into a pub style bar (think weatherspoons), one section can be drinks and relaxing area, the other section food. Nothing to fancy, just weatherspoons style menu, you find a table, order at bar, they bring you food. None of this school canteen style or anything that it has now. The outside area can be done up with nice furniture and heaters and then it can open late after park close.

Coffee corner also needs a complete refit, it just needs to be made modern, like a starbucks or costa coffee. I'm surprised it hasn't (as far as im aware) had any work done to it over the winter season with CBeebies opening up next door.

As much as both outlets are tired the last thing we need is bland affair similar to Weatherspoons or Starbucks.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't want a wetherspoons or starbucks, but a food outlet that runs the same as them, you can theme it and make it how you like, just somewhere modern and nice, compared to the rather 1980s style outlets they currently have.

CoasterCrazyChris said:

But currently neither towers restaurant or corner coffee are exciting or escapist. I went into corner coffee at fireworks and it was AWFUL. Dirty walls, worn out sofas, bad counters, poor selection of food laid out badly. A Starbucks would be a huge improvement. And if you think Starbucks can't look good check out Fiddler, Fife and Practical at Disney California Adventure (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/02/dining-in-disneyland-fiddler-fifer-practical-cafe-with-starbucks/).

AstroDan said:
If staff don't want extra hours in these financially challenged times, I would be very surprised.

Major resorts around Europe open far, far later than Alton Towers and the staff there seem to manage.

With all due respect, that's a really ignorant stance to take. What your proposing is not set hours, but the ability to vary staff hours depending on weather, visitor numbers etc. and then saying to the staff "well, ok, if you dont wanna work the extra time for the money, then so be it".

You really think therefore, that if lets say 50% of the staff said "sorry, I cant work on tonight, its not about the money, its also about having a life outside the towers and my free time" then Alton would still be able to keep the place running and be ok with this?

No, course not. What would happen is staff would feel forced, or be forced into working these extra variable shifts. Would probably be written into new contracts. The result, miserable, overworked, and tired staff. Yeah, some may want the extra cash, others would feel compelled to work the extra hours.

I would hate to work for a company or theme park like this , not knowing from day to day when I may be home, not being able to make plans in my social life.

Maybe parks in Europe do stay open later, but also, maybe the staff are well aware of their finish times, and the opening and closing times are set.

As for it being an extra 30-60 minutes added to the day for staff - you know and I know this isnt true. When Alton say the park "closes" we know its the queues that close. So, if it is a busy day, staff will infact be working much longer than the 30-60 minutes. Take the Smiler for example, thats been running some days last year up to 2 hours after "park close".

Unfortunately, its when people "dont care" about poor treatment of staff, that other companies start doing it, and so the rot infests, who knows, maybe one day it will come to yours, or mine.

I have no problem with longer hours, or the park staying open longer, as long as the staff working the long hours are aware of what is expected of them, and are happy to do it and are not compelled into doing them at the detriment of their own personal lives outside of work - i.e. cancelling evening plans with a loved one for example due to having to work later.

Parks such as Europa Park, Adventure Island and Phantasialand are just three I can think of who adjust on the day. There are many more who respond to guest figures and the weather.

And if you read my original post, I am mostly anticipating that the park DO pre set closing times... but on some occasions this may need adjusting on a day to day basis.

I am not being ignorant nor advocating poor treatment of staff. Staff make a choice to work in the tourism industry which is based entirely around flexibility during key periods!

I have worked at Alton Towers so understand this to a degree.

Drayton Manor have 5pm closing all season, and then they decide on the day when to close, their staff seem to manage OK! And too be fair they wouldn't need all the staff to stay an hour or two later, for example Air and Oblivion could go down to one station, etc. So not all staff would need to stay, so i'm sure there would be plenty who would be willing to stay.

I forgot about DMP! They extend from 5 up to 7.30pm if it's busy!

You can create a flexible closing policy that is staff centric, basically put a limit on the amount any day can be extended. If staff know that's the limit they can plan accordingly and they get paid extra when it happens.

In healthcare you work until the work is finished and if your 12 hour shift with a single 30min break turns into 14 hours then tough... You don't get anymore pay either! That's not to say that is the correct way of doing it but there are industries that give less of a crap about their staff than leisure does... It's just leisure pay terrible.

There are two long-fabled words that have been banded around for years and I think are the crux of any later openings becoming a definite reality and they are:

'Entertainment Complex'

If something like that was brought in to link the resort with the park then we would be on to a massive winner. However until the park see a way to have a guaranteed income from it I just don't see it happening the way it's run just now. Having said that I see no reason for the park not to be open til 6 every weekend and 7 in summer with the option to extend. Extensions happened more last season but were rarely further than 30 mins.

Flexible staff hours are fine. You could have staff start later. But trust me if you at work and you came for some manager to say " sorry kids we'll say when you go" your heart would melt, and you would be so annoyed that you wouldn't care. You would take it out on the public. Especially if the weather is nice. Yes some would like the money but AT staff get paid low, im sure they wouldn't even get time and a half for those extra hours. Ask yourself would you be happy with that.

im with gary h all the way on this, its ok saying x or y or z do it. But they may have different contracts, start times etc that alton towers don't have. Yes they could change it but the simple fact is they wont.

im still going to say that planning laws by the council and local area are obviously the reason why AT wont budge on opening times. Like Wembley can only host x amount of things during the year. I wonder if AT has this in place regarding opening times.?

but please think if the staff. Its not easy working long hours in the open air, with poor money and not being able to have a social life........... Yes even in these " hard times" as someone put it people are still entitled to turn money down and live a little.

i think people need to be careful about what they say. Astrodan you have better experiance then i have since you've worked there, im certain there are days when you thought cant wait to finish. Everyone does. I like to see drayton staff after they have been told 1 hour extra, it wouldn't be a nice yo be even if you knew it was in your contract. I know i do. We have a system like that at sainsburys and it really gets to people because its always done in favour if the company not the staff.

i would live it to be open longer but id be unable to look staff in the eyes knowing in the reason they are late home.

I'd imagine they could put the staff on a contract until 9pm all year, and then when the park closes at 5 they can leave early and when the park closes at 9 they stay until the end. If staff assume they are there until 9 but leave at 5, it makes it easier when they do have to stay until 9. It's not like this is a very long term issue, it's only a few weeks a season that hours are extended.

None of this gets away from the point that many other parks around the world are open far longer than Towers, and many also extend their hours on the day. Staff may not like being told they have to work longer on the day but I'd imagine in most cases it would only be an extra 30-60 minutes, I can't imagine Towers ever extending opening by over an hour. It may not be ideal but if I was to get a job in leisure and tourism I would know to expect it.

:)

Shift work is possible. Legoland Windsor lives on it even on 5pm closes.

If they were to do this, I'm sure they could relatively easily sort this all out.

If the staff are as enthusiastic (as I'm guessing most are in the interviews) about working at Alton Towers, being committed to great customer service and ensuring guest satisfaction, I'm sure they would be willing to work an hour or two over on several days a season where needed. If not, they're probably lying in the interview just to get the job.

Why not just make it clear in the interview that on certain days they may be required to work over when needed? Then add that into the contract as well. The people who will not agree to this are probably not as enthusiastic about actually helping guests to enjoy a fulfilling day (not getting kicked out early when it's a fine day with plenty of guests still wanting to use the attractions). This way Alton would probably find that the people who do agree to working over would be generally more committed to the cause and guest satisfaction anyway.

They don't really have to keep the whole park open all evening. Close forbidden valley at 5 and gloomy wood at 6 and gradually shepherd guests towards a bustling Towers Street with eateries and shops open until 8!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

OK let me ask you a question (aimed at everyone):

If you went to work for a company (or for an interview) and they said your working hours were 8am until 6pm - but, the company reserves the right to extend these as it feels appropriate, up until 9pm with no advance notice, for which you would be expected to work, would you do the job?

Now bearing in mind lets say you have a life outside of work too, seeing the gf or bf in the evening, making plans to go to the cinema after work, or meet friends for a meal, few drinks in the pub etc. and you'd have to cancel those plans at a moments notice to stay on working, would you be ok with that?

Would you also continue to still have a happy smiley face with the customers, feel great about having to work longer, even though your shattered from being on your feet all day?

Just curious.

My point im trying to make is that 0 hour contracts are a disgrace and shouldnt be allowed in any company. Its total disregard for the workforce. Not knowing when you will be working, what hours, what salary to expect etc.

I guess what im trying to say is that rather than vary the opening hours at a moments notice depending on weather, visitor numbers etc, Alton should have rigid set hours, which extend more than they currently do in the summer, and with staff working those hours who (a) are happy to do so and (b) fully aware of what time they are starting and finishing.

Plus, to be fair, if I went to alton lets say, 9th July and it was gorgeous sunny day, but the park close was 6pm, then the next day when I had gone home, a few more people visited, and they extended the close until 7pm - i'd be feeling a bit peeved!

I also fully agree with Dar's comment above, maybe its not about keeping the "park" and rides open but more about having places on towers street to stop and have a meal or drinks and a rest before having to head back to the car and drive home. Now that would be entirely do able.

PS sorry for the rant if it comes across that way, but I just feel in todays society we all live in this want want and want it now mentality, and bugger the poor employee - as long as im ok Jack, thats all that matters seems to be the common feeling from a lot of the public unfortunately.