Park Hours - the shortest in the world?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AstroDan, 3rd Jul 2019.

1. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

If Wicker Man were the last big roller coaster to close everyone will just get in line for it after the rest of the park closes leading to a really long queue after closing time

2. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Flamingoland does something similar, except the park closes at the normal time and the rides from Cliffhanger to the entrance stay open for an extra hour. Sometimes.

Towers could maybe leave spinball and cbeebies open as people are leaving at the end of the day, giving their friends some extra free time conveniently close to Towers Trading

3. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

So, after the furious reaction to staggered openings (and thankful dropping) we're not advocating staggered closings?!

4. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Surely the distinction here is that they were staggered later openings. If the park had said ‘all rides will open at 9am, with the Rapids opening at 10am’ I doubt there would have been many complaints.

If staggered closings meant the park as a whole remained open until the same equivalent time as now, but with certain areas extended by an hour, that wouldn’t be sniffed at?

It’s all academic though. Since I doubt it would really ever happen.

jon81uk likes this.
  5. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Yeah...nemesis and oblivion often have no queue by three o clock...shut em at two to make sure.
    Then Rita and thirteen at three because everyone is heading towards the exit.
    Then shut the monorail at four because it gets so congested around then.
    Sorted.

6. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

They can't be shutting rides any earlier than 4, let alone 2

7. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

I wasn't being serious.

Ethan and RoyJess like this.
  8. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

I got back from 2 weeks in Florida this morning & had my worst 2 experiences at Universal Orlando ever in 18yrs of visiting.

Park hours were good - 9am-6pm, so you can't moan at that.

Hagrids Motorbike Adventure is a joke - it opens with a 120min queue due to Universal letting their hotel guests in early for ERT. It breaks very frequently - makes Air back in 2002 look reliable. And the icing on the cake is when Universal decide the ride has "reached capacity for the day", they close the queue so the staff don't have to work too late after park close. Unbelievable.

Even Towers say ride close time is actually "queue close" time. If you're in the queue by then, you should get to ride.

There were a good number of other issues with the Universal offering this time round, but I'll save these for the Universal / Comcast CEO.

Just to say that whilst Towers is not [or rather far] from perfect, the industry big-players can mess things up big-time too.

Doublethink and speedy like this.
  9. Stuntman707

Stuntman707 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I think it’s better they closed the queue as I believe on opening day, they just closed the ride and turned everyone who were still waiting away.

10. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

Phantasialand do something very similar and I agree it’s enfuriating. They close their restaurants earlier too.

In Taron’s case, one night in the summer the ride was actually completely tucked up for the night and all its staff had gone home 15 minutes before the park was due to even close.

Alastair likes this.
  11. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I think Islands of Adventure had some companies hire out the full park in evenings recently. So if this was the case they have to clear the queue quickly to get all day guests out the park before the private hire starts.
    But Hagrids coaster has a lot of issues from what I’ve read, I think it’s been said the Thirteen style drop isn’t working well.

12. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    If only there was some hint from previous installations that Intamin rides are rarely a dream to operate and maintain.

13. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

Universal also rushed the opening of the ride, even though it wasn’t ready to open and issues ironed out, they wanted it open for Summer and before Galaxy edge and execs didn’t want to delay the opening. the same happened with Gringotts in 2014, which was also opened before it was ready to and had multiple issues causing large amounts of regular downtime.

Doublethink likes this.
  14. ChessingtonSam

ChessingtonSam TowersStreet Member

https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/before-you-visit/opening-times/

I guess this would go here? 2020 Opening Dates are up. 21st March for opening day, Friday 9th October for Scarefest, 6th, 7th and 8th November for Fireworks. Only closed on Wednesdays during March, April and May, unfortunately 4pm closes are still a thing. Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in September and some of October.

Matt N and ringo like this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Absolutely pathetic terrible disgraceful opening times. Very disappointed and not happy at all

16. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

The website has had a bit of an overhaul too

17. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

If the park doesn't cover it's operating costs on those very quiet 4pm days then it makes sense. I have done 4pm days before and can get on all the big rides at least once.

At the end of the day, if shorter hours on very quiet [term time weekdays] means more money for Scarefest and fireworks days, then I'm all for it.

Whether or not the money 'saved' gets diverted to these events is another matter of course...

Godscrasher, jon81uk and ringo like this.
  18. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Imagine paying almost £60 for six hours at the park. Pathetic.

Graham73 likes this.
  19. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

looking like Scarefest days have been cut this year too.

Poopoohead likes this.
  20. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Nobody pays that.
    Use a 2for1.
    Book online.
    Pay £60 and come back almost all season.

Godscrasher likes this.