• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

They’ve added an extra half hour today to make it 5:30 - probably should’ve been 6 to start with tbf but it’s at least decent to see them extending a little

They’ve added an extra half hour today to make it 5:30 - probably should’ve been 6 to start with tbf but it’s at least decent to see them extending a little
Bizarre how much busier monday and tuesday were compared to today and yesterday. Maybe school trips go at either the start or end of the week

Late to work party on this topic, again. For my perspective on the matter, here's what I have to say...

After hearing about the 4pm park closure I was worried I'd have so little time for what I needed to do so it was something of a relief that I had a 6pm closure on the 5th. Thanks to staying on the resort complex (I'll have to give my thoughts on that soon) and being allowed in early I was able to get what I wanted to get on other than Wicker Man which was down and this did allow me to relax a bit more which is something I can't do at Towers for as I only get to come down once every 4-5 years I have to rush around which is not really ideal for me.

Thankfully as I had an extra day on the park which this time had a 5pm closure time which other than getting my first credit on Wicker Man, I honestly had not much to do so I was able to relax more such as exploring the gardens and take in more of the place other than the rides which I honestly have never really done properly.

I do feel a 6pm closure, an early ride access to rides prior to the park opening, should be the minimal for the park with a 7:30pm or 8pm closure in the summer season should really be something to aim more regularly for if that was the case, that would not only make a world a difference but for some like myself, more time to just relax without queing for rides. Then again, have you heard these sort of things before? Really need to get part 2 of my trip written up...

I would love to see what the opening hours were c.20 years ago.

Its hard to find as the site often used Shockwave Flash and the Wayback machine can't archive that.

But in 2005 the site stated http://web.archive.org/web/20050601020130/http://www.altontowers.com/themepark/openingpricing.asp
"

Opening Times​

Alton Towers theme park is open from 12 March to 30 October 2005.

The theme park opens from 9.30am daily. Rides open from 10am.

Closing times vary from 5pm onwards depending on the time of year.
"

From memory 6pm would have been common in the summer and maybe 7pm, but I don't think the main park stayed open late. However the waterpark was open later back then.

In 2008 though, the park was open to 7pm for the summer holidays
shows 5pm, 5.30pm for weekdays, 6pm for Sundays and 7pm for Saturdays. Then 7pm every day in the school holidays.

Generally I think 10-5 used to be standard weekday hours with some days 10-5.30 or 6pm and then longer in holidays.

Its only since the Smiler incident that 4pm closure became the new standard.

Personally I'd be plenty happy with those 2008 hours of minimum 5pm and going up to 7pm in the summer holidays. Maybe even 6.30 on summer weekdays with entertainment running through to 7pm.

Last edited:
I always remember 10am - 5/6/7pm depending the time of year. Usually finishing with the Captain Henry or the Peter Rabbit show and go see the animals before leaving. Later it was replaced by squeezing a ride on the squirrels before saying goodnight to the bookworm.

Found this from the 1992 map, so maybe they might be able to help @Thameslink Rail if you are after specific years

Screenshot_20220709-092229_Chrome.jpg

Although quick glance at the 98 map I have to hand doesn't have one. So maybe they removed in favour of the website in later years?

I wasn't after a specific year, I was just wonderering what the opening hours were like at the park's peak. Thanks for the responses!
So opening hours have never been spectacular but not short although the grounds stayed open for an hour after ride close which I guess gave more time to look round the gardens, enjoy the atmosphere and eat & drink. I also find the winter grounds openings interesting, I would like to see those again maybe.

Last edited:
So opening hours have never been spectacular but not short although the grounds stayed open for an hour after ride close which I guess gave more time to look round the gardens, enjoy the atmosphere and eat & drink.
The grounds are probably still open almost an hour after ride close, it’s just not advertised that way. As the queue closes at ride close time, if there is an hour long queue for a ride then it will remain open that long to see the remaining guests through. Also Towers Trading is typically open for at least 30 minutes after the ride queues close, maybe even an hour.

Interesting that the opening hours were never overly long even back then (well, compared to some European parks at least). I do wonder; are Britons simply less inclined to stay out late than theme park guests in other countries? None of our parks have overly long opening hours compared to the parks abroad.

Perhaps the park was getting loads of complaints from schools and parents about excessive queue times so they decided to extend the opening hours? Queues don’t seem as bad as they have been over the past couple of weeks though, so who knows!

Ride close extended to 6.30pm today.

I expect to see further extensions over the coming two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk