• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

2016 being lower than 2015 also surprised me given the fact barely anyone visited Towers after June in 2015
This will be partially because 2015 had half a season of "normal" attendance before the incident. But the numbers in 2016 won't have been helped by the closure of 7 attractions that season. To a degree the ride line-up has never really recovered from the closures of Ripsaw, The Flume and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - this really put a dent in diversity of rides the park offered and therefore its appeal to a broader range of guests.

I'd go for a 10:30- 17:30 off peak and make somewhat of a branding event of it. The later opening and close could ease traffic congestion concerns around both rush hours could entice people to eat twice at the resort.

Maybe brand them as 'Off-Peak Magic' days, heavily advertising a slightly lower price and 'all the rides and attractions you love, without the crowds', maybe even chucking in an evening meal package attached to the day ticket for a decent price.

The shorter the opening hours= the shorter the queues and therefore the higher the ride count.
No. Correlation does not imply causation.

Towers, with decades worth of visitor data, pick 4pm closures on days they know are probably going to be quiet. This allows them to move their hours budget around better for other parts of the year.

Quiet days = 4pm closures. Quiet days = higher ride count. This is not the same thing you suggest.
The most important thing to most people visiting a theme park is the ride count.
This is how you value your day, but it's not how everyone values their day. A dead and quiet park can also feel empty, devoid of life and failing. I personally like a bit of atmosphere (not just because my cousins get more leftover sandwiches). I like seeing some of the entertainment, I like enjoying a pint in the sunshine and people watching. I like soaking up the environment. Do you know how boring Battle Galleons is on a quiet day? I could go on it again and again and again, but without other people it's dull.

4pm closures suck. I get why they're there, but it's embarrassing and I'd like them to be open a little longer. It's early days, but at least there are fewer of them than last season, that's my small takeaway.

The website has the Water Park as being closed for all of 2024, which i presume is an error?

Does it typically stay open 365 or does it have an off season that matches the main park? Was hoping to visit in the February half term.

The website has the Water Park as being closed for all of 2024, which i presume is an error?

Does it typically stay open 365 or does it have an off season that matches the main park? Was hoping to visit in the February half term.

Waterpark, golf and Spa opening times are yet to be updated on the website for 2024.

Looking at the short break booking options the waterpark is likely to be closed between 8th and 26th Jan for its annual maintenance.

I assumed that but the outdoor area is listed as open all this week for example which surely qualifies as Winter?

The outdoor areas are closed during the week in the winter season and open at weekends and school holidays (i.e. Christmas and Feb half term).

Its not a temperature thing (the pools are heated) it is just to save on staffing costs during the week in winter when the waterpark is usually pretty quiet.

Last edited:
Waterpark opening hours and tickets have been released for 2024.

It generally follows the same pattern as previous years, 10-4 off peak weekdays, 10-6 weekends and 10-8 school holidays.

For the summer period the hours are 9am-8pm, as opposed to 10am-10pm that they went for in 2023. By all accounts it was pretty dead late in the day so shifting forward an hour is perhaps a good idea, albeit it is losing an hour a day versus 2023, it’s still an improvement on previous seasons.

Waterpark opening hours and tickets have been released for 2024.

It generally follows the same pattern as previous years, 10-4 off peak weekdays, 10-6 weekends and 10-8 school holidays.

For the summer period the hours are 9am-8pm, as opposed to 10am-10pm that they went for in 2023. By all accounts it was pretty dead late in the day so shifting forward an hour is perhaps a good idea, albeit it is losing an hour a day versus 2023, it’s still an improvement on previous seasons.

Why is the Waterpark open longer in the summer than the theme park. Crazy

There's always sitting downstairs, supping on a £7 pint. Staring into the distance with a wide eyed glare, as Cheryl from Longton busts out Rolling in the Deep for the fifth time in an evening.

Surely, 12-6 has to be better opening times than 10-4?

Also, never forget Cheryl from Longton is probably running parts of Alton Towers…

Or worse…

Cheadle…

Folks in the hotels have a 10am check out time, not to mention those with families and especially young kids will be up and ready to go much earlier than 12pm. Therefore demand is there for a 10am opening.

Rolling in the Deep for the fifth time in an evening.
Imagine if you crashed your car listening to that song. You’d be rolling in the jeep. Anyway I don’t think the waterpark opening times are too long I just think Theme park opening times are too short

Also, never forget Cheryl from Longton is probably running parts of Alton Towers…

Or worse…

Cheadle…

Definitely this, even at peak times it’s rare to see many people in before 11 as they are still at breakfast .