• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

This may just be a mistake of course on the website, but it does nothing to take away my emerging view that this is quite possibly the worst season ever.

The real problem (realistically not Merlin's fault) was the small nasty fire on the flagship Wickerman 'coaster and that unpredictably punched a huge hole in the park after a promising Spring/early Summer for Altons and turning some things around with the otherwise excellent Nemesis Reborn and revived Haunted Manor.

We shall see next year (I think they really need more staff and not ready for primetime this year, when they seem to be still in the middle of rebuilding many things, including the necessary cable car ride).

And it's scary how badly a decent theme park can stagnate or slowly collapse (see Oakwood).

Quite simply, nothing has really changed since 2018 for the casual visitor (apart from some rethemes) and that's the fundamental problem.

'94-'04 saw a massive amount of investment in the park, and a new marketable attraction (at least) every year.

In the past 10 years ('14-'24) we've had Wicker Man. That's it. Oh, and Gangsta Granny. Sorry, massive disservice there. Ok, ok... We've also had the CBeebies Hotel, Enchanted Village & Stargazing Pods and Tree Top Adventure Quest.

There are issues with the park's core offering, but that's not why people aren't visiting. People have to visit in the first instance, to experience the poor reliability, food issues and general misery to decide not to return again. People aren't seemingly visiting because nothing's really changed in 6 years at the least.

Of course all of this really is hokum and based on anecdotal evidence. None of us are privy to the park's attendance and performance figures. We can only go based on how we feel and, apparently, whatever Queue-Times posts as gospel.

If the park's feeling stale though, that's because it kind of is at the moment.

Quite simply, nothing has really changed since 2018 for the casual visitor (apart from some rethemes) and that's the fundamental problem.

'94-'04 saw a massive amount of investment in the park, and a new marketable attraction (at least) every year.

In the past 10 years ('14-'24) we've had Wicker Man. That's it. Oh, and Gangsta Granny. Sorry, massive disservice there. Ok, ok... We've also had the CBeebies Hotel, Enchanted Village & Stargazing Pods and Tree Top Adventure Quest.

There are issues with the park's core offering, but that's not why people aren't visiting. People have to visit in the first instance, to experience the poor reliability, food issues and general misery to decide not to return again. People aren't seemingly visiting because nothing's really changed in 6 years at the least.

Of course all of this really is hokum and based on anecdotal evidence. None of us are privy to the park's attendance and performance figures. We can only go based on how we feel and, apparently, whatever Queue-Times posts as gospel.

If the park's feeling stale though, that's because it kind of is at the moment.
I’ve been thinking this, and it’s why I feel that delaying Project Horizon significantly is a bad idea. It’s all very well and good revamping things and painting things up, but the average visitor doesn’t really care about that. If the park hasn’t had anything meaningfully new in a while, then people will start to find the lineup stale and not feel any incentive to return.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Thorpe Park outwardly seems to be suffering less than Alton Towers this year. Hyperia has given the park a shot in the arm, and it is a meaningfully new and attention-grabbing ride to incentivise people to return. As much as Nemesis Reborn is “major”, it’s not a meaningfully new ride; it’s just the same ride that’s existed for 30 years painted a new colour.

I get that things like the Hex and Skyride revamps are important, but something has to give eventually. There’s only so long you can refurbish and repaint existing things for before people realise that you’ve got no meaningfully new things, get bored and view your lineup as stale. I know that some view the big major attractions derisively on here, but I think they are important periodically to maintain interest in the park. To a casual observer, you’re arguably almost getting to the point where the Alton Towers lineup is feeling stale and in need of that shot in the arm from a new major investment.

I’ve been thinking this, and it’s why I feel that delaying Project Horizon significantly is a bad idea. It’s all very well and good revamping things and painting things up, but the average visitor doesn’t really care about that. If the park hasn’t had anything meaningfully new in a while, then people will start to find the lineup stale and not feel any incentive to return.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Thorpe Park outwardly seems to be suffering less than Alton Towers this year. Hyperia has given the park a shot in the arm, and it is a meaningfully new and attention-grabbing ride to incentivise people to return. As much as Nemesis Reborn is “major”, it’s not a meaningfully new ride; it’s just the same ride that’s existed for 30 years painted a new colour.

I get that things like the Hex and Skyride revamps are important, but something has to give eventually. There’s only so long you can refurbish and repaint existing things for before people realise that you’ve got no meaningfully new things, get bored and view your lineup as stale. I know that some view the big major attractions derisively on here, but I think they are important periodically to maintain interest in the park. To a casual observer, you’re arguably almost getting to the point where the Alton Towers lineup is feeling stale and in need of that shot in the arm from a new major investment.

I think another issue is the MAP culture means a lot of people have moved away from maybe visiting a park once a year to multiple visits. The more you visit, the more you notice the imperfections and get tired of the same things, thus ultimately devaluing the product.

I think another issue is the MAP culture means a lot of people have moved away from maybe visiting a park once a year to multiple visits. The more you visit, the more you notice the imperfections and get tired of the same things, thus ultimately devaluing the product.
But also those significantly bought into that culture and follow things like Towers Street on social media don’t always realise the other point of view that not everyone religiously studies for changes in opening hours and stuff like that.

The real problem (realistically not Merlin's fault) was the small nasty fire on the flagship Wickerman 'coaster and that unpredictably punched a huge hole in the park after a promising Spring/early Summer for Altons and turning some things around with the otherwise excellent Nemesis Reborn and revived Haunted Manor.

We shall see next year (I think they really need more staff and not ready for primetime this year, when they seem to be still in the middle of rebuilding many things, including the necessary cable car ride).

And it's scary how badly a decent theme park can stagnate or slowly collapse (see Oakwood).
Except it quite clearly is their fault. They have overseen the removal of many rides since they took over. Enterprise, Wave Swinger, Ripsaw, Submission all gone with no replacements. Had they repaired or replaced these rides then losing a coaster like Wickerman would not be a massive issue.

The poor maintenance/patch up mentality regarding Hex and skyride has led to both being down for most of the last two seasons and now I assume multiple million pound repair bills. Thirteen barely works consistently, Air is limping on like a wounded animal.

This theme park needs massive investment not a meet and greet with a sausage roll

Don't buy into that to be honest. It's like visiting an elderly relative, don't visit for a year and you notice more so how much they've deteriorated from one year to the next.

Except it quite clearly is their fault. They have overseen the removal of many rides since they took over. Enterprise, Wave Swinger, Ripsaw, Submission all gone with no replacements. Had they repaired or replaced these rides then losing a coaster like Wickerman would not be a massive issue.

The poor maintenance/patch up mentality regarding Hex and skyride has led to both being down for most of the last two seasons and now I assume multiple million pound repair bills. Thirteen barely works consistently, Air is limping on like a wounded animal.

This theme park needs massive investment not a meet and greet with a sausage roll
You forgot Ug Bugs.

Thorpe is having a good year and has had few new rides in recent years, (I don't count high striker as a major ride!!) But it's clearly maintained what it has and keeps sprucing up areas of the park. Alton has cut so much in the last 10+ years and failed to maintain the basics and presentation has been poor.

I honestly think that with the reduced park hours, park size and it's location you would be crazy to spend that money on a day ticket. Your not going to do the park in a day that is chilled and relaxed. So many caveats are put on the average punter:

- Arrive at 10 to find you either have to walk or get in a long que for the monorail
- Security que
- The parks kind of open but we do staggered opening so you have to que a bit more and your favourite ride is closed til later.
- Want food? No choice but overpriced rubbish
- Want to skip the line Pay Alot for a fast track?
- 5pm repeat miserable trip back to car.
- We want to fleece you once more with our parking charge as we don't even offer viable public transport options.

You compare to that to thorpe where you can have high street priced food, don't have the miserable monorail or walk back and it's all compact and doable in one day. As a family I can see why I'd do the south parks over Alton.

UG Bugs was essentially replaced by Go Jetters. A bigger and arguably better presented attraction.
Although Bouncing Bugs went away back in 2009 when Twirling Toadstool went into Cloud Cuckoo Land so there was a long time before replacement. Also potentially the fact the newer ride is in CBeebies puts some slightly older kids off riding who don't watch Go Jetters.

keeps sprucing up areas of the park.
I think both parks have done some of this. Its actual ride maintenance that is the bigger issue. General presentation of the parks appears better this year at both AT and TP (although I haven't visited myself)
Arrive at 10 to find you either have to walk or get in a long que for the monorail
If you know the gates and rides open at 10am why arrive at 10?
Security que
The queue at Thorpe Park for security is worse.
Want to skip the line Pay Alot for a fast track?
If the rides are being operated well there is no need to pay to skip the line. Fasttrack should be expensive so fewer people use it and the main queue moves quicker for everyone
thorpe where you can have high street priced foo
Its not high street priced, its still more expensive than the equivalent brands elsewhere.

Thorpe is having a good year and has had few new rides in recent years, (I don't count high striker as a major ride!!) But it's clearly maintained what it has and keeps sprucing up areas of the park. Alton has cut so much in the last 10+ years and failed to maintain the basics and presentation has been poor.

I honestly think that with the reduced park hours, park size and it's location you would be crazy to spend that money on a day ticket. Your not going to do the park in a day that is chilled and relaxed. So many caveats are put on the average punter:

- Arrive at 10 to find you either have to walk or get in a long que for the monorail
- Security que
- The parks kind of open but we do staggered opening so you have to que a bit more and your favourite ride is closed til later.
- Want food? No choice but overpriced rubbish
- Want to skip the line Pay Alot for a fast track?
- 5pm repeat miserable trip back to car.
- We want to fleece you once more with our parking charge as we don't even offer viable public transport options.

You compare to that to thorpe where you can have high street priced food, don't have the miserable monorail or walk back and it's all compact and doable in one day. As a family I can see why I'd do the south parks over Alton.

Is Thorpe having a good year?

It might be don’t get me wrong but there is no evidence of that specifically. Queue times don’t seem any different to previous years and the park gets hour long queues with a lot fewer guests than Towers.

Thorpe obviously benefits from having a much younger stock of rides compared to Chessington and Towers, but it’s still an absolutely miserable day when you are in there.

Plus your high street is ripping you off if you think Thorpes food is high street prices.

It might be don’t get me wrong but there is no evidence of that specifically. Queue times don’t seem any different to previous years and the park gets hour long queues with a lot fewer guests than Towers.

Thorpe obviously benefits from having a much younger stock of rides compared to Chessington and Towers, but it’s still an absolutely miserable day when you are in there.

Plus your high street is ripping you off if you think Thorpes food is high street prices.
Thorpe’s operations seem a lot better lately. On my last visit, Inferno and Swarm were both doing nearly 1,100pph, and I saw Stealth doing about 900pph on one of my recent visits.

For me, ride availability also seems to have been better at Thorpe Park than at Alton Towers on my recent visits to both, in general.

Yes, Thorpe Park has been run very well this year, with operations of most the coasters some of the best we see in England these days. I believe Stealth has on a few occasions beaten it's own throughput records this year for example. Colossus has struggled a bit with its new PlC to be fair. I have visited a dozen times and longest I have queued outside Hyperia is 60 mins with majority of the time it being half hour. Thorpe is miles above Towers and Chessington operationally this year!

If you went back a few years it would be unthinkable that Thorpe’s ride availability would be better than Towers.

A good demonstration of how far the park has fallen (and to be fair, perhaps some improvements from Thorpe too).

Yes, Thorpe Park has been run very well this year, with operations of most the coasters some of the best we see in England these days. I believe Stealth has on a few occasions beaten it's own throughput records this year for example. Colossus has struggled a bit with its new PlC to be fair. I have visited a dozen times and longest I have queued outside Hyperia is 60 mins with majority of the time it being half hour. Thorpe is miles above Towers and Chessington operationally this year!

up time is definitely better at Thorpe this year, again I suspect that’s because the average age of its rides is around 10 years younger than Towers and 15 years younger than Chessington.

It’s why I agree with the refurb capex been put into Towers, they need to get their ride hardware fixed.