• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

Allow me to quote Adam Wagner, a human rights barrister.

He is saying the same thing as me, that there are defences to the offence.

You seem to be confusing my point with one that is in some way pro Boris. I didn't comment on whether Boris should or shouldn't be getting a fine, I was pointing out it is wrong to state anyone present should automatically be fined so that he wasn't must be wrong. You can come to that conclusion lots of others ways, but not that way. Its an important distinction to make.

I’ll admit the drinks do seem like a slightly strange thing to do in a professional work environment. Surely if they wanted a party, they’d have gone elsewhere? Or perhaps they could have had a Zoom/MS Teams party from the comfort of their own homes?
The simple answer to this is that the unprofessional behaviour within a workplace was seen as the norm long before Covid. Since they were in the workplace of the bloke who decides the laws, they felt they could get away with doing whatever they want and completely ignoring the rules in place at the time which they begged everyone else to abide by. They were found out, caught up in a shedload of lies which has also now caught up with them.

You seem to be confusing my point with one that is in some way pro Boris. I didn't comment on whether Boris should or shouldn't be getting a fine, I was pointing out it is wrong to state anyone present should automatically be fined so that he wasn't must be wrong. You can come to that conclusion lots of others ways, but not that way. Its an important distinction to make.
There are defences to the offence, but I think Adam Wagner is pointing out that he's finding it difficult to consider any reasonable excuse for him attending an illegal gathering. I don't think you could use the "I accidentally popped in there then realised" excuse when you're pictured chatting away and raising a glass in front of a load of booze bottles. When you're constantly on TV saying stay at home, don't go popping round to neighbours and only go to work if absolutely necessary, I don't think you can use an excuse that it took you a substantial amount of time (and glasses of booze) to realise what you're doing is a bit dodgy.

If (and it's only if at the moment - I'm purely speculating), it is confirmed that photos such as that have been given to Sue Gray and therefore passed to The Met, you'd have to agree that there are questions to answer on how the investigation has been led, no?

I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying. No one was saying just being in that room would automatically result in illegality, but that isn’t what the picture shows, it shows the PM toasting with a glass of wine. If he was just stood there at the door I think it would be less clear but that isn’t the case.

The question is have the Met been robust in their investigation, and is there reasonable doubt about that investigation in light of the pictures released. The fact this picture exists and the fact they didn’t even ask the PM about that event is certainly suspicious.

There are defences to the offence, but I think Adam Wagner is pointing out that he's finding it difficult to consider any reasonable excuse for him attending an illegal gathering. I don't think you could use the "I accidentally popped in there then realised" excuse when you're pictured chatting away and raising a glass in front of a load of booze bottles. When you're constantly on TV saying stay at home, don't go popping round to neighbours and only go to work if absolutely necessary, I don't think you can use an excuse that it took you a substantial amount of time (and glasses of booze) to realise what you're doing is a bit dodgy.
Not disagreeing with any of that, it remains different to if someone is somewhere they are unequivocally guilty which was what the initial point was. There is simply no basis for that in law.

If (and it's only if at the moment - I'm purely speculating), it is confirmed that photos such as that have been given to Sue Gray and therefore passed to The Met, you'd have to agree that there are questions to answer on how the investigation has been led, no?
As you say, if. Seems a bit silly to have such a strong opinion on that when we currently don't know. There are also lots of reasons I can think of that even with the picture a prosecution wouldn't follow, the most obvious being 'what does it actually show'? Is it timed and dated, did the person taking it present it as evidence and confirm the circumstances? Without those things it potentially holds little value. Prosecution / conviction requires the evidence to be tested to prove something beyond reasonable doubt, that is a very high threshold.

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying. No one was saying just being in that room would automatically result in illegality,
Again...
The main issue, which I’ll repeat again is that others in that room have been fined for participating in a gathering, so therefore the Met have deemed it to be illegal. For that reason, everyone there should have been fined.

I couldn't care less if they were socially distanced whilst having a knees up or not. The reason they themselves banned such shindigs was to not encourage a situation where people could be in close contact with eachother for leisure purposes.

Yes, I get what you mean on the subject of fining everyone in the room and accept that. But, you missed off the last sentence of my post in that quote regarding Johnson specifically:
That photo of him, raising a glass shows his participation in that gathering, so questions should be asked as to why he was not fined.
Ultimately, I wouldn't normally be bothered about who's fined and who's not, because for any other government this would've been a resigning matter and be done and dusted by now. However, the reason I am finding myself so bothered is because the government seem to be using the lack of a fine as a way to say everything was hunky dory and within the rules. Instead, I'm concerned we've sat back and let the standards for holding public office be degraded so much in recent years, and I'm actually pretty concerned that now precedents have been set we risk things getting worse.

That's why I'm ending up questioning whether the investigation was carried out in an appropriate manner and applied fairly to all who were there, because to be brutally honest I genuinely consider nothing to be beyond the realms of possibility with this government. We are left to speculate because they're trying to run the clock down on this mess, rather than what Johnson's predecessors would have done - 'fess up and deal with the consequences.

I think the only solution we have here is that the MET reveal exactly how they came to there conclusion, what evidence they've seen and why they decided not to fine the PM for certain events. If this isn't satisfactory then there should be a parliamentary enquiry into how the police came to there decision. We deserve the answers and it seems really stupid that other people got fines for the same party, there must be a reason for this and we should be entitled to see this reasoning. If there isn't that the police involved should be removed from office and a new investigation should be help, with completely different people handling it.

Random question; is Met now capitalised automatically in the same way that VIBES is? Or are people just using an abbreviation that I’ve never used?

Random question; is Met now capitalised automatically in the same way that VIBES is? Or are people just using an abbreviation that I’ve never used?
I capitalised it myself at is MET is an abbreviation for Metropolitan. I've used both but as people are capitalising it, I thought it was the right way to do so.

Not disagreeing with any of that, it remains different to if someone is somewhere they are unequivocally guilty which was what the initial point was. There is simply no basis for that in law.

As you say, if. Seems a bit silly to have such a strong opinion on that when we currently don't know. There are also lots of reasons I can think of that even with the picture a prosecution wouldn't follow, the most obvious being 'what does it actually show'? Is it timed and dated, did the person taking it present it as evidence and confirm the circumstances? Without those things it potentially holds little value. Prosecution / conviction requires the evidence to be tested to prove something beyond reasonable doubt, that is a very high threshold.

If the report was the PM was in a room where others received a fine but there was no context of what he was doing you may have had a point.

However the context was there from the beginning as it’s a picture that triggered the debate that shows the PM toasting with wine.

You also don’t need a time stamped picture, you simply need to first speak to the person in the picture to see if they confirm the content (didn’t happen), then speak to the people who where confirmed to be in the room and ask them if the picture is contemporaneous.

Because of the above there is reasonable doubt in the quality of the investigation.

Radio 4 at the end of last week...
Those who could afford expensive detailed legal advice tended to avoid being given fines.
Those who could not afford it tended to get fined, for attending the same events.
Good old justice.
Can anyone explain that one to me please?

You also don’t need a time stamped picture, you simply need to first speak to the person in the picture to see if they confirm the content (didn’t happen), then speak to the people who where confirmed to be in the room and ask them if the picture is contemporaneous.
Yes, I'm quite well acquaintanced with investigative practices, evidence gathering and the burden of proof 😉, and there are indeed plenty of ways to skin a cat. But you can't compell someone to incriminate themselves; if the picture isn't evidenced and the few people in it decline to comment as is their right, you have to find another way to authenticate its relevance to proving an offence. Not always easy.

I'm not saying that is what happened, I have no idea, but it's massively less simple than 'here's a picture, everyone in it must be able to be prosecuted and if they aren't it must be incompetence', that's just not a completely sensible opinion to jump to with any certainty.

Again, can anyone explain why some people were not fined because they hired top notch lawyers, while many junior staff received fines because they could not afford them.
Is this simply one rule for the rich?
And if large numbers of people within a "meeting/party" refuse to comment as a group, is that not considered conspiring to pervert the course of justice?

Yes, I'm quite well acquaintanced with investigative practices, evidence gathering and the burden of proof 😉, and there are indeed plenty of ways to skin a cat. But you can't compell someone to incriminate themselves; if the picture isn't evidenced and the few people in it decline to comment as is their right, you have to find another way to authenticate its relevance to proving an offence. Not always easy.

I'm not saying that is what happened, I have no idea, but it's massively less simple than 'here's a picture, everyone in it must be able to be prosecuted and if they aren't it must be incompetence', that's just not a completely sensible opinion to jump to with any certainty.

The police did not question the PM about this event. So he didn’t have the opportunity to incriminate himself. That’s why the investigation is coming under scrutiny.

If the PM had been questioned, this would look dodgy but you would again have a point but that didn’t happen.