• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planet Coaster 2: Confirmed!

Note as well that it looks like they're developing this as a concurrent PC and console release! Xbox and PS5 logos at the end. Fantastic news! Console players had to wait 4 years for the first game, by which time I felt the game was showing its age. Makes sense now they know it works and they have a pretty good control scheme for it. I just hope they've done something to improve that damn piece counter!

It is confirmed to be releasing om Xbox and PS5 at the same time, in autumn this year...exciting times!! The more players from the start the better.

It also appears that Frontier Workshop will replace Steam Workshop on PC. Meaning blueprints, rides and everything inbetween will be sharable across all platforms. Unlike now where PC and console players can't really share things. Much better in my oppinion.

Do we know if it's only on the new gen consoles?

It is new gen only yes. The game has alot of new features and next gen updates. A time has to come where developers have to stop living in the past, developing games for hardware that is now over a decade old, as it only serves to hamstring and limit what is possible with the game due to limited processing power.

Current gen aka the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles are nearly 4 years old now. So the adoption rate is much higher. A time has to come where people have no choice but to accept that if you want to game on very old hardware you won't be getting the latest, feature packed games.

I totally understand people's possible frustration around this. But time moves forward.

Last edited:
From the trailer alone, it did seem more like a substantial expansion pack to the first game as opposed to a new one, although having read the feature additions, this does seem like a bold next step.

More dynamic water and weather being added seems like the natural progression over the first game, so that's great to see. Trying to build good paths was always a thorn in my side with the original, so it's good to see that it's been tweaked and making plazas easier.

Great to hear about being able to customise rides further, particularly with the custom zero cars on coaster trains. That always seemed like one of the strongest aspects about Theme Park Studio before that dropped off the face of the Earth to become a different game entirely.

Really looking forward to being able to utilise the already versatile track designer for water slides! *Removes track limits*

Good to see it's being launched on consoles at launch as well as PC. I've had to enjoy it on my Xbox Series X as my PC hasn't been up to scratch for quite a while now, although hopefully a new one before launch should rectify that.

It is new gen only yes. The game has alot of new features and next gen updates. A time has to come where developers have to stop living in the past, developing games for hardware that is now over a decade old, as it only serves to hamstring and limit what is possible with the game due to limited processing power.

Current gen aka the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles are nearly 4 years old now. So the adoption rate is much higher. A time has to come where people have no choice but to accept that if you want to game on very old hardware you won't be getting the latest, feature packed games.

I totally understand people's possible frustration around this. But time moves forward.
Understandable but not ideal. I've racked up hours of Planet Coaster on my old Xbox One and it ran great on there.

About time I upgraded.

Nerdchacho has confirmed that they were given an exclusive first look at Planet Coaster 2 by Frontier, and they can confirm a few additional features that Frontier did not explicitly reveal in the initial announcement. Here’s the video they’ve uploaded explaining these:

If you don’t want to watch the video, the new features they discuss include the following:
  • Weather has been added. The presenter said that while this wasn’t shown as part of the demo they saw, the GUI “appeared to have space for weather”, and Frontier confirmed the addition of weather in a Q&A following the demo. They’ll be diving into the weather more in a future preview.
  • You will now have the ability to rescale and resize theming objects. It will no longer be the case that your scenery piece has to be a certain size like it is in the base game; you can change it.
  • The event trigger tool has been updated. This has apparently been updated to be a “timeline-based” tool. There are also various new special effect types.
  • The paving tool has been updated. It feels “familiar to the original tool”, but apparently facilitates the creation of plazas and wider areas far more easily and allows you to do far more.
  • The coaster builder has been updated. It has apparently been updated to make it easier to use, and “many more smoothing options” have apparently been added. It was also confirmed that drop track coasters have been added, and there will be both returning favourites and new coaster types coming with the game.
  • You can now add scenery to both rides and coaster trains. As shown in the video, you can now add theming to flat rides, but you can apparently also now create your own themed zero cars using in-game scenery items.
  • Facility management has been added. The management of water and power requirements for rides has now been added, and there is an element of needing to have enough water and power facilities to match demand.
  • Water is more dynamic. This was speculative from the presenter, but they said that it appeared as though water had been redesigned to be more dynamic than that in the original game.
  • Guests have been rebuilt from the ground up. This is to allow for greater guest diversity and for a greater variety of guest types to visit parks.
  • New shop and facility types have been added. Facilities such as changing rooms and ticket offices have been added.
  • New staff types have been added. With pools coming, lifeguards have been added, and we also have two new mascot types in Queen Splash and one that looks like a shark of some kind.
  • Water park attractions have been added. As previously explained, water park attractions have been added. There will be a wide variety of slides available, including body slides, flumes, water coasters, and drop capsule slides, as well as a range of facilities like custom-shaped pools. Slides work similarly to coasters in terms of construction, being built piece-by-piece.
This all sounds very exciting, doesn’t it? I’m very happy with some of those feature additions, personally!

Great to see drop tracks for coasters are coming, I hope switch tracks and dual stations will also be in too. And with the addition of l water rides I hope they've added dinghy slides as well (the ones you find in dry parks).

I've kind of been dreading this day! I have so many Planco projects on the go it'll be a shame if I never finish them.

But there's a reason so many of them aren't finished, and that's the number of hours it takes to get everything looking right.

These new features will be a game changer. Being able to scale parts or attach objects to attractions (this opens the door to custom animation!) will speed the build process up so much!

I wonder if PC also means it’s coming to Mac, or if that will be a later release? Would seem odd to release on PC and console together and not Mac, although I’ve not seen anything about it.

I don't think it does. I wouldn't rule out a Mac version but at a later date. They are usually very specific in game specifications with PC meaning a Windows based machine and Mac obviously being Mac. A bit wierd because a Mac is still a PC. But they always have that distinction within game specs.

There will be nothing stopping people running Windows with Planco2 ontop of one of the rather efficient emulators officially supported by Apple. Performance may not be as good though. But will be able to run it on a Mac day one. Just through Windows and not natively though.

It should make @Matt N excellent speed build contest easier if we're all using Frontier Workshop. The lack of cross play between console and PC was a little bit of an old fashioned way of doing things, but I understand why they did this with the original since it was specifically developed originally to be a PC release. Should now end up being pretty much the same game with the same features on all platforms now. I would imagine a Mac release wouldn't be too far down the line.

I want switch tracks, duel loading stations (with the ability to create mobius loops), offload and onload areas, the ability to build plazas, and dreary weather. Can't build something that's supposed to be in the UK without a grey sky. Buildings also need to block light so that they can be made dark.

I hope the coaster building doesn't change too much, it just needs refinement. The smoothing needs sorting out so that it doesn't ruin your profiling like it does not now unless you use 4mtr method. Even when you do use 4mtr method, you can never get it fully smooth as it transitions between track pieces.

As a former RCT fan I’ve never played Planet Coaster but up for giving this a go.

I’ve got a PS5 but is it likely to be a bit rubbish without using a mouse and keyboard?

From the game's Steam store page, the 5 base game themes are; "Mythology", "Sunny Resort", "Aquatic" and "Viking". No pirate theme though, which is a shame (calling it now... Pirates of the Caribbean DLC incoming 😛).

Screenshot_20240712-103022-286.png

This seeems exciting, and I am looking forward to the addition of drop tracks. I'm not sure if I will buy it when it is released, but it does sound like an improvement on the original game.

From the game's Steam store page, the 5 base game themes are; "Mythology", "Sunny Resort", "Aquatic" and "Viking". No pirate theme though, which is a shame (calling it now... Pirates of the Caribbean DLC incoming 😛).

Screenshot_20240712-103022-286.png

I am sure they will add more over time. Including (hopefully) some of the older themes as they were great.

I trust frontier to deliver on the things that count with PC2. My only concern is that the release is actually ready at the time of launch. Without knowing anything about you game I already want to ask them to push the release back to next year.

As a former RCT fan I’ve never played Planet Coaster but up for giving this a go.

I’ve got a PS5 but is it likely to be a bit rubbish without using a mouse and keyboard?
No! The original is pretty cheap on Playstation store, and included with Gamepass on Xbox. The controls are actually very cleverly mapped.

I won't lie, it took some time to get used to at first. But the way they mapped the controls to a game controller is little short of genius. It's intuitive, fluid, and just works. I'd struggle to use a mouse and keyboard with it now I'm so used to it!

I trust frontier to deliver on the things that count with PC2. My only concern is that the release is actually ready at the time of launch. Without knowing anything about you game I already want to ask them to push the release back to next year.
What makes you think it won’t be ready? We’ve been waiting 7+ years for a sequel. A lot of the improvements will be built off the back of Planet Zoo. Frontier are also one of the rare developers I still trust to release decent products and not fill them with micro transactions. Their DLC has always been fairly priced and I’m happy to pay and support developers like Frontier.