• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning a Blackpool Pleasure Beach trip

DistortAMG

TS Member
Favourite Ride
POTC Disneyland Paris
Good evening.

I am planning a trip from Tamworth to Blackpool this summer with my 8 year old son in tow.

I am looking for recommendations, tips and advice on being able to do the trip for a decent price. I understand we are peak summer, that is fine. But if I can save money I am all for it.

It has been a few years since visiting, we are going to take the train. I am looking for a decent but cheap place to stay, things we must do aside from Pleasure Beach and just general advice really. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I am pushing this until late August in the hope that the grand daddy, the big mac and triple whopper of water dark rides is open, poor lad doesnt know what he is in for. But it will be nice to introduce my boy to some of the classic dark rides and coasters either way.

Last edited:
For things to do in Blackpool, if you have a Merlin Pass then that opens up the Blackpool Tower, Dungeons, Madame Tussauds and Sea Life. If you don't then you can get a combo ticket giving a discount for multiple attractions. A general rule for saving money in Blackpool is that anything on the promenade will be very expensive but going a few streets in you can find food options more comparable in price with any other town.

I think we will give the Merlin stuff a miss to be fair as they are quite similar to others. The water park is certainly on the cards. Any good local burger joints?. I am a stickler for a good juicy burger, any local joints that do a decent big kahuna of a burger will be appreciated. Or any local highly rated food places full stop for that matter.

West Coast Rock Cafe on Abingdon St...north east of the Tower.
Excellent stuff, been running for years, never been there sober, but I have a hazy recollection of fun times and good food.
The walk south from south pier of an evening is safe family fun usually, have a dance around the glitter ball, and the chippy just inland towards the airport is good and reasonably priced.
We were always forced to walk all three piers one evening, over the sunset.
Ice cream on one, pop/beer on another, then chips at the third.
Cheap fun evening.
Many of the b&b's just north of the Beach are reasonably cheap and clean, but usually want a minimum of 2 or 3 nights.
Edit...The Wilmar, on Osborne Rd, nr the Beach, is clean, reasonable, and just a little bit Royston Vasey.
Often used by geeks and freaks of the nicer variety, they don't do noisy groups...apart from my family, once.

Definitely recommend West Coast Rock Cafe. Really good food. It's open for lunch downstairs but if you want to go in the evening probably best booking in advance as last time I was there in the evening the downstairs was open but they were informing people the upstairs, which has a larger menu, was fully booked.

For a B and B I'd highly recommend the New Esplanade. Right by the Big Blue Hotel, so just minutes from the Pleasure Beach Train Station.
Lovely owners, nice rooms, a bar and a pool table. Great breakfast as well.

The piers are always good to explore, and coral Island. Used to love the 2p machines.

Some really great advice here so far, thank you.

Obviously I am expecting it to be busy, being the summer holidays. How busy exactly. I am torn between doing an end of August week day with a 7PM close on Pleasure Beach or an end of August Saturday with a 10PM close.

If one is substantially busier than the other then I will avoid that one. Looking to maximise rides really. Obviously this is based on the assumption that they do not close early. As it has been a while since I've seen any of the shows, I think we may do one of those too. Hot Ice or the Magic show is the question.

West Coast rock café is on the list as a must do. As are the piers. I will weigh up B&B's in the next week or so.

You can often get a free matinee ticket to Hot Ice on the day, with your wristband, if the ride queues are bad.
Basic speedypass can be worth its weight in the summer hols as well, timed in sync with the Hot Ice show, queue up for the Big One while in the show.

The comedy carpet opposite the tower is worth a look too. Maybe not so much interest to your 8 year old, but I spent quite a while just looking at the catchphrases.
Uvavu!

I wouldn’t write off the Merlin stuff as the same as elsewhere. The Circus, Tower Eye and Ballroom are all totally unique. The Tussauds is actually quite good and a lot quieter than London. You can skip the Dungeons and Sea Life if you’ve done others though.