• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning:- USA Road Trip 2020

IDB

TS Member
I’m starting to look into planning a two week USA road-trip in 2020.

I’m considering centring it around the Coastermania event at Cedar Point visiting the park on 4 & 5th June 2020, with a circular trip also visiting Kennywood, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World and Six Flags Great America.

The only other caveat I have is we wish to spend some “non theme park” time in Chicago, so we may well look at flying into and out of there, although I guess there are other airport options in Cleveland & Detroit?

I’m conscious of trying to keep a balance of distances between parks and rest days in order not to “cram” in too much and make the trip less enjoyable.

Anyone else done a similar trip and have any advice / recommendations / other things to see on route?

rt001.jpg

Looks a pretty good route and should flow pretty well with not *too* much driving.

Do you not fancy Knobels, Hershey SFGadv? You could fly into Chicago and back from New York or vice versa.

Funny thread this as I'm also planning a States trip so will be interested to see what others suggest. I haven't settled on the parks or a route yet. I'm hoping to include Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg on my list although they're a little bit out the way. I'll also be including Six Flags Great Adventure.

Theme Park Worldwide and Pleasure Beach Experience are both doing American trips this year that are based around cedar point and surrounding parks. It probably will be a good idea to watch their content for planning

Theme Park Worldwide and Pleasure Beach Experience are both doing American trips this year that are based around cedar point and surrounding parks. It probably will be a good idea to watch their content for planning
The theme park worldwide one is very ambitious. I'm sure they've got it all planned out, but it looks like far too much mileage for me. Fair play to them and I look forward to watching the videos.

I'll be doing NY to Chicago in August, with 7 parks along the way:

Six Flags Great Adventure
Hersheypark
Knoebels
Kennywood
Cedar Point
Kings Island
Six Flags Great America

Do you not fancy Knobels, Hershey SFGadv? You could fly into Chicago and back from New York or vice versa.
They did feature on the first initial plan when I plotted “American theme parks” on Google Maps, although I have already visited SFGadv, albeit 9 years ago and visited NYC a few times previously. I can always save them for another trip I guess.

I’ll dip in and out of them, but fear I’d have to take two weeks off just to watch all the content uploaded by TPW.

I’m hoping my trip won’t be a “theme park, drive, hotel, theme park, repeat” type of holiday and by starting to plan it now by looking at the 2019 schedules I can make it as manageable as possible.

Looks like you have got a solid and manageable plan, which is a good start! Myself and a few other TSTers went on a big road trip in the US last year (you can read more here); when planning a US road trip it becomes very easy to keep adding parks on so it is probably a good idea to set a limit in terms of how much you want to cover.

You could always make a slight de-tour and visit Waldameer (in Eire) between Cedar Point and Kennywood. You wouldn't need a full day there however Ravine Flyer II does make the visit somewhat worthwhile.

Thanks Rob. I have read and re-read your trip report a few times and it’s been very helpful.

Once I’m comfortable with a route I’ll start looking into flights and hotels.

I’ve already made a note Presidents Day is the best time to buy tickets for some of the parks, but have also since noticed on Twitter a few parks have other deals on the run up to season opening.

You could always make a slight de-tour and visit Waldameer (in Eire) between Cedar Point and Kennywood. You wouldn't need a full day there however Ravine Flyer II does make the visit somewhat worthwhile.
Definitely feasible and would break the journey to Kennywood up. Thanks.

A couple of other questions while I’m here:-

• Recommendations for car hire and avoiding getting ripped off.

• Other than post season promotions, is there anywhere else to look for park discounts? Would joining ACE for the season be beneficial?

For me, Cedar Point was good, but not *that* good. I much prefer places like Holiday World, Kings Island. etc. If I were going back I would try and do the East Coast starting in Ohio and finishing in Florida. There are some great parks people overlook - such as Kings Dominion, and BG Williamsburg (a far superior park to their other offering IMO).

Disney is not an enthusiasts park, but I would really go out of my way just for the theming alone (and to get drunk around the world at epcot!)

Oh, and car hire. Book Enterprise, Hertz or similar know US brand direct with them through their US site. Get yourself a credit card which offers Excess Coverage as a perk - other than the base package (car and collision damage waver) dont buy anything else from the car rental company!!!!

Thanks Chris. I’ve been wanting to visit Cedar Point for 25 years! Whilst trying to remain on a reasonable budget during the trip I’m debating whether to splash out and stay on site whilst I am there. I know they offer hotel discount rates during CoasterMania but I’m guessing it still won’t be cheap at Breakers.

For hire cars use a company called Car Trawler who search all the hire car companies. You pay in advance but can cancel/amend if prices are cheaper elsewhere or they have a sale on their own site.

You can’t order direct through Car Trawler but Holiday Autos, Ryan Air & Norwegian use them so check out all of their sites as prices do differ.

Make sure you have a credit card in the drivers name and purchase excess insurance separately. When you collect the hire car make sure to decline all extra charges as they try and push their own insurance which can be £30 per day! Inspect the car inside and out before leaving, let them know if there is any damage not on their sheet and get a video inside and out in when you collect and drop off just in case they accuse you of any damage after dropping it off

If you need a satnav and don’t have data in the country you are visiting you can hire them from eBay. I always make sure I get data sorted or buy a SIM card out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers Dan. I recall you posting something similar elsewhere. Thanks for the repost it’ll be very helpful.

I'd definitely recommend staying on site at hotel breakers especially if you're doing coastermania (don't forget a coaster club membership is required for that) being able to pop back to the hotel and back during the day can be a god send. Also you can choose to pay for the hotel on a monthly basis before your stay which is great for staggering your costs.

I'm visiting Kings Island this year and they had a sale back in January which included park entry, fast lane plus, all day dining and drinking, as well as funpix.

The ECC recently added a members discount for Kennywood but I got my ticket during a Groundhog day weekend sale so it was about $25

Thanks for the reply John. I’m definitely considering staying at Breakers. I believe there is usually a discount code for Coastermania attendees. I will also look at joining the ECC at the beginning of next year. They have some good deals, not only in the USA that I hope to take advantage of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply John. I’m definitely considering staying at Breakers. I believer there is usually a discount code for Coastermania attendees. I will also look at joining the ECC at the beginning of next year. They have some good deals, not only in the USA that I hope to take advantage of.

Yeah I believe there is. We booked breakers back in November (I think) but got 3 days park entrance and fast lane plus.

The ECC membership is a good one as the magazine you get every few months is really good quality.

My plans have changed since I first initially made them. I’ve had to reduce the trip down by a number of days resulting in a shorter trip flying into and out of Pittsburgh and visiting Kennywood, Kings Island & Cedar Point.

I’ve purchased a Gold Pass for Cedar Point and reduced price tickets for Kennywood during last year’s Black Friday. This weekend’s Presidents Day has offered a great deal for Kings Island tickets and fast pass.