• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

(Plans submitted) Amber Rock Resort, Derbyshire

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Unless they are proposing massive investment in the local infrastructure it's not feasible in that location. Anyone who have visited the tramway museum in Crich will realise it's not easy to get to, there's a lot of hills and the roads aren't particularly lorry friendly in that area.

Unless they are proposing massive investment in the local infrastructure it's not feasible in that location. Anyone who have visited the tramway museum in Crich will realise it's not easy to get to, there's a lot of hills and the roads aren't particularly lorry friendly in that area.
Sounds an awful lot like a certain theme park in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

Not sure how I feel about this, personally. Crich is generally a rather quiet, unspoilt area. Aside from the tramway museum (which isn’t exactly bursting with guests the same way a water park would be), there’s not a lot there other than the natural scenery and Crich Stand (a large war memorial that looks over the quarry).

As others have said, it’d need some pretty hefty local infrastructure investment. The roads aren’t in bad condition, but they’re not really built for much traffic. Something like this could easily choke up the village and immediate surrounding areas. Cromford, Peak Junction and Matlock are already hell on Earth to drive through as soon as the sun comes out. Most of the Peaks just isn’t designed for mass road traffic.

Of course it’d be great to see the quarry put to good use. It’s a huge blot on the landscape at present. And I do think it could have a large appeal as an attraction. But I don’t know, something just doesn’t feel in-keeping about this. I do find myself agreeing a little with the locals that it seems out of place. It’s a bit “corporate” in its approach (water park and a big multi-story hotel). We’re not talking about slapping a theme park on a piece of industrial wasteland next to a city. This is something in a fairly rural surrounding which already has plenty of impressive natural landscape (for reference I grew up, and a lot of my family still live, within a 20 minute drive from Crich).

Center Parcs Sherwood is a little different in my opinion. While it is located by the forest, the area around it is generally fairly unremarkable. Farmers fields with some decent A roads linking it to a major town not too far away (Mansfield). It’s not quite the same as the Peak District.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this get stuck in planning debates for some time…

To me, the old quarry near Snitterton, next to Matlock would have probably been a much more logical location. It’d be in the same sort of area, but would be much better for access and amenities/services. It’d be closer to built up civilisation while probably still set out enough to create the nature park feel they seem to want to go for, but without intruding on a more untouched rural area. I think part or all of that site has already been set aside for housing though, which may be a contributing factor in this other location being considered.

Having read the article in full, it's obvious they've already put a lot of work into this and are determined to make it successful.

Such a weird place? Awful links as mentioned. Even Matlock has traffic problems but would be far more suitable.

Such a weird place? Awful links as mentioned. Even Matlock has traffic problems but would be far more suitable.
Agree completely. For something which aims to be a relatively standalone resort style offering it is a bizarre choice of site, even within the Peak District.

I guess they just expect it to be the kind of place you’ll go to for a few days away such as center parcs. And not just a place to visit for one day, so the traffic/links won’t be too bad, compared to a place like towers.

Historic England has officially objected to the plans, because "Light and noise from a potential water park resort in a Derbyshire quarry would wreck the “tranquil contemplation” of an adjacent memorial site". This could prove to be a spanner in the works for the project, although there is still a month go go before the end of the consultation. A final decision by the council Planning Authority is expected within the next few months.

Oh goodie, something else to speculate about for several years until it eventually doesn't get built! ;)

I do think the choice of location is a mistake tbh, I can see there being a lot of opposition to this.