• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Podcast Recommendations

For me, its the people sat in the bedroom doing it for the love that stand out more.
And that is exactly what they likes if Herring are, they just happen to be famous entertainers already. Noone is funding or producing him clearing stones from field, playing himself at snooker, or doing ventriloquism on a podcast!! I know exactly what you mean though, there are plenty of celeb based and big business sponsored podcasts out there that are over produced, far too safe and pretty soulless as a result.

My favourite film based one is Films To Be Burried With Brett Goldstein, but that's full of celebs!

And that is exactly what they likes if Herring are, they just happen to be famous entertainers already. Noone is funding or producing him clearing stones from field, playing himself at snooker, or doing ventriloquism on a podcast!! I know exactly what you mean though, there are plenty of celeb based and big business sponsored podcasts out there that are over produced, far too safe and pretty soulless as a result.

My favourite film based one is Films To Be Burried With Brett Goldstein, but that's full of celebs!

Its also nice to here other voices. That don't have mates in the business to keep onside. When the bedroom stuff is done well can open all sorts of avenues. Look at the story of the anfield wrap as an example, they have been a part of the change in football punditry for the better.

Another point, i think celeb podcast work better when theybm use the best source they have. Us, the general public. Shag, marrird annoyed does this to a tee. Danny baker is brilliant at this type of stuff f (although stupidly hides behind a paywall.)

Last edited:
I haven't listen to many different podcasts but I'm quite a fan of it. I prefer those instead of audiobooks (I rather read books).
Since I'm German I often listen to podcasts in my language because I like to do stuff along the way and I have difficulties to concentrate on both activites if I'd listen to english versions. I would probably miss something in the english speaking podcast.

I'm not able to recommendend English podcasts, but I have two German ones I like very much, in case you can understand the language. If I'm not allowed to this in this thread, I will delete it.

5 Minuten Harry Podcast - a movie analysis about Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Every episode covers five minutes of the movie. Very good research about every little aspect seen in a scene, many background informations and it can be very funny. I learned so much about this movie and filmmaking.
She uploads the episodes on youtube but unfortunately there are no english subtitles. But as I said before if you can understand German and you like Harry Potter this is a must do.

Airtime radio - theme park topic. Sometimes one person but mostly a little group talk about their trips and visits in theme parks. It's very casual talking, but I like listenting to it. Relaxing and funny.

20 thousand Hertz is fascinating about sound effects, sound design, sonic branding and all sorts of nerdy sound things. The episode on Netflix's Ba-dummm is how I found it.

TV Show and Tell is also quite nerdy but full of fascinating behind the scenes stuff about TV (mainly gameshows and similar).

Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster is sometimes fun, particularly when the guests choose niche items for their dream menu.

On BBC Sounds (so not really a podcast just a Radio 4 documentery) I enjoyed Unreal, a history of reality TV, looking back at Jade Goody and early Big Brother was fascinating and nostalgic.

If you watch Inside No 9 on BBC2 then the accompanying show on BBC Sounds, Inside Inside No9 is also great, just half hour of Steve & Reece talking about that weeks episode.

Wild Things about Siegfried and Roy was quite interesting, although not sure it actually answered many questions it was still interesting.
Very much appreciating the Twenty Thousand Hertz recommendation, thank you! I found myself with quite a long walk today and no updates on the usual shows I listen to, and discovered this gem of a thread. Thought I'd might a recommendation or three of my own.

Radiolab - I'm really surprised that this hasn't got a mention before, perhaps you all already know about it? This is a show that asks unusual questions and uses an investigative reporting element to answer them. Originally focused around science, it's since branched out into culture, social justice and just about everything else. - Example episode: "Driverless Dilemma" - an episode that looks at the problems surrounding driverless cars, by analysing a thought experiment called the trolley problem. - https://pca.st/episode/2c925e90-d39c-4038-8770-85850fdeb256

Reply All - Although no longer produced, this is an amazing show which revolves around internet culture. Again it's told in an investigative journalism style, but it's amusing and informative. There are around 180 archive episodes for you to binge on, so I'd definitely recommend it! - Example episode: "The Case of the Missing Hit" - probably the best podcast episode ever produced anywhere. A listener asks the show if they can trace a song he used to hear all of the time on the radio in the 90s, but no one else can remember it. - https://pca.st/episode/cc572c51-e2bd-41fe-a138-d4f8ecba3549

Cautionary Tales - Author, economist and journalist Tim Harford brings a collection of tales of true, but cautionary events, from history for adults. Perfect for bed time story listening! - Example episode: "The Mummy's Curse" - a telling of the tale surrounding the curse and opening Tutankhamen's tomb and the events which unfolded after. - https://pca.st/episode/1f9a8f61-0337-4138-94ea-477cfeaf1303

I have one called the late challenge.

Run by two lads from Liverpool called Gareth Roberts and Paul cope. Get some general footie chat In there with some mid aged waffling.

It's Liverpool centric but it is entertaining

I'm a football fan so that takes up most of my podcast listening. However, I can't stand over the top analysis from average ex footballers. Which is why Football Clichés is comfortably the best one. No serious football discussion, just one big piss take of 'proper football men' and the like.

From: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0gTDv95UqdwhP4Z35qBAlG?si=fKOgK8YqQme_JrT-E2aW7Q

As for theme park pods, In The Loop is decent. The Drunk Riders is good but a bit too shouty and the audio quality is unlistenable at times.

Podcast: The Ride is the best one. Hosted by casual theme park enjoyers who are mostly scared of rollercoasters. The hosts are comedy actors/writers so it's pretty funny. They often get a guest on to discuss their home park and I'd really recommend this particular episode about Chessington...

From: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0fv40bL0qBsREzlDXYOdvm?si=_45Ws_A5RhmoSfKmpjRmgg

Quite funny listening to bemused Americans try and make sense of a ride themed on a fizzy pop factory in Transylvania.

I dip in and out of various music, history and comedy podcasts but nothing really hooks me. So I'll check out some of the recommendations in here :)

Ive started listening to some more recently. As follows.

The late challenge. Two middle aged Scousers waffling on. More suited to a LFC supporter but they can get into general chat.

History rage. For all you history buffs. They interview various folk about what annoys them about how the world sees historical events and personalities. Will often debunk common myths. Obviously, goes without saying. Some are more interesting than others.

We have ways of making you talk.......general ww2 chat and not at boring "do I need to be smoking a pipe whilst I listen" way. Al Murray and James Holland do a good job of keeping it light and interesting keeping an eye on the psychological side of it all aswell which is good. Sometimes over board with ammunition and vehicle specifics. That's on me. I only know what a tank looks like Im not arsed about fire power an it's MPG.

Living with madeley. Two blokes from Sheffield talking about old British TV. Not the usual stuff, things that have been forgotten aswell. Good if you were brought up in late 80s early 90s.

Scarred for life. Folk talking about what things scared them as a child. Seeming only talk to folk who were brought up in the 70s. Would love to see more of my generation being interviewed.

Cane rinse. Gaming one..again, I only found it interesting if I knew the actual game. Good conversation.

I would recommend the chain dogs podcast for theme parks. I stopped listening a while back, purely because of 1, the length and 2, new folk on it that I found irritating. I'm ok with folk talking about farting around in a queue or drinking. Just don't make it your personality coz you sound like a dick