• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Poor York dungeon/new Berlin dungeon.

nickhutson

TS Member
Don't know what the future for the York dungeon is as it seems the flood damage is pretty dire. Maybe merlin will just make the whole place a boat ride, I don't know.

However, there are exciting times ahead for the brand as a new dungeon is due to open in Berlin in the spring of 2013, and there's the new London version coming too.

As reported by Airgates earlier today, the York Dungeon will be closed until at least Christmas. Whilst this isn't ideal for people, I suppose something has to be done to get it back up to a standard suitable for visitors.

I hope the York Dungeon re-opens as I really enjoyed my visit there and the actors were fantastic. Even though it's only small, it packs a lot into what space there is. If it did close the current location, then I hope Merlin would find them a new home :)

That's a shame. I liked York dungeon, mainly because its the only dungeon that I actually found even slightly scary. So claustrophobic, the actors are so involved, it just works great!

WALLIS said:
I have some voice in the back of my head saying, EXTREMIS!

They don't have the space unfortunately as non of their rooms could accommodate the height, there was rumour they where looking into renting the building behind the Dungeons to expand but nothing has come of that since.

In a small update, York Dungeons website has had a slight update!

Sounds like some good stuff to come, can't wait to go back :D

Seems to me like it's just a temporary website...I'm sure when it re-opens the real website will be much better ;D

Subtle logo redesign also. Not sure I like the emphasis they're putting on the humour though. Maybe they could have more emphasis on fear for the final hour each day or something? Definitely think by pleasing the family side they alienate the scare seekers.

Tom said:
Definitely think by pleasing the family side they alienate the scare seekers.
Thing is though, the family market is much, much larger than the scare seekers market...

With a whole new London Dungeon and a refurbished York one, I bet they will both have quite a bit of the same sets, with a bit of 2 for 1 going on :p

Islander said:
Tom said:
Definitely think by pleasing the family side they alienate the scare seekers.
Thing is though, the family market is much, much larger than the scare seekers market...

Yep, and hence my suggestion of having an 'extreme' slot which would make up only a small proportion of the opening times. Even an hour every Saturday night or something.

Maybe they need to make all of York Dungeons waterproof? and put in built in pumps, or here's a thought buy the galleries of Justice at Nottingham and move there, it won't flood and it's only a hour away from Towers? ;)

The Galleries of Justice is a serious museum. I'd hate to se it ruined by M£rlin :(

oooohhh the Caves of Nottingham could also be good for them, have a 2 part Dungeons. The caves were used to make leather, as air raid shelters and as houses. Also again this attraction doesn't get flooded. ;)